PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate GLIBC Packages

wdingus
22nd November 2006, 01:17 AM
RPM generally is good to me. It has it's quirks and things that need manual resolution now and then, but on the whole package management could be worse. Resolving situations where a system *thinks* it has two versions of the same package installed have been one of it's bigger problems IMO. This one though I do not know how to resolve.

[root@name packages]# rpm -q --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}.%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n" glibc
glibc-2.4.11.x86_64
glibc-2.4.11.i686
glibc-2.4.8.x86_64

[root@name packages]# /sbin/ldconfig
Segmentation fault

[root@name packages]# rpm -Uvh glibc-2.4-11.x86_64.rpm --force
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:glibc ########################################### [100%]
/usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade: While trying to execute /sbin/ldconfig child terminated abnormally
error: %post(glibc-2.4-11.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 112

[root@name packages]# rpm -e glibc-2.4-11.x86_64
error: %postun(glibc-2.4-11.x86_64) scriptlet failed, signal 11

I've done "rpm --rebuilddb" to no avail also.

I'm not sure I can just remove the x86_64 glibc package and re-install but I tried (and failed) anyway.

Ideas?

PS. FC5 x86_64 on a Tyan 1U server which locked up during a yum update causing this problem in the first place. It had been locking up a lot lately which is what prompted me to attempt to update it. Crappy sata_sil fakeraid driver can't handle any intense I/O load it seems.

robatino
22nd November 2006, 01:27 AM
I dealt with a similar situation by using rpm -e --nodeps to remove the older version of a package, followed by rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs to reinstall the newer version. This was with 2 32-bit versions in the database. With a critical package like glibc you would want to make sure that you have the newer RPM in advance so you can reinstall it immediately after removing the older one.

Seve
22nd November 2006, 01:27 AM
Hello:
Have you tried to remove the most recent package with
rpm -e
if, so does it spit out an error?
Seve