PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing Printer

Reisswolf
21st November 2006, 11:31 PM
Hi,

When I open up the printer configuration GUI from System -> Administration -> Printing I get a basically blank GUI, with the words "Server Settings" on the left against a white background, and nothing else in the main area.

In the tool bar there are two options, labelled "New Printer" and "New Class." I click "New Printer" and enter "DfltPrinter" as the name. But when I click "Forward" on that screen. nothing happens. I wanted to know why the system was hanging, so I ran system-config-printer from a terminal as root. Here is what I got when I hit "Forward" this time:

[root@localhost ~]# No match for device ID:
<manufacturer>Lenovo </manufacturer>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 1626, in on_btnNPForward_clicked
self.nextNPTab()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 1636, in nextNPTab
self.fillDeviceTab()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 1759, in fillDeviceTab
self.on_tvNPDevices_cursor_changed(self.tvNPDevice s)
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 2025, in on_tvNPDevices_cursor_changed
printer_name = self.foomatic.getPrinterFromCupsDevice(self.device )
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/foomatic.py", line 796, in getPrinterFromCupsDevice
print " <model>%s</model>" % mdl
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'mdl' referenced before assignment

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem, and how I can go about installing my printer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bigfootnmd
22nd November 2006, 04:42 PM
Search is the key to all. Your post does not specify which printer you have.
The key to finding out how to configure a printer in LINUX starts here
www.linuxprinting.org

Reisswolf
23rd November 2006, 01:06 PM
Well, it is a Lenovo printer that I got for free with my purchase of a new Lenovo dual processor desktop. The second line of the error message in the code block shows shows quite clearly that the printer is made by Lenovo.

The real reason I did not bother to mention the exact make of the printer is that I believe the problem lies with system-config-printer. It appears that that programme crashes when it does not recognise the printer, when ideally it should use "Generic" as the default value. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried to use an unrecognised printer and solved the problem.

I did check on linuxprinting.org before posting here. There is nothing on Lenovo printers at that site.

multescugeorge@
23rd November 2006, 01:18 PM
Just a thought, but did you update :
yum -y update
perhaps it's a support library kind of error.
Also, try kde's printer adding tool, may just do the trick.

Reisswolf
23rd November 2006, 01:31 PM
Yes, I update my system every two or three days. The last update was done yesterday.

Could you please tell me how to bring up KDE printer tool? In which submenu is it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

multescugeorge@
23rd November 2006, 01:40 PM
it's in the
"Configuration center"->Peripherals->Printers->Add New || printer

multescugeorge@
23rd November 2006, 01:54 PM
if your fedora looks like:
http://www.partha.com/images/screenshots/fc6/Screenshot-0.png
then it's possible you didn't install kde, start Add/remove applications and install kde.

Reisswolf
23rd November 2006, 01:59 PM
Hmm, when I try to open "Printers" in Control Center -> Peripherals I get the following error message:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

So I guess the problem is with CUPS.

Does yum have a "fix" option? Something like "yum fix cups"? Or is that too much to hope for?

Reisswolf
23rd November 2006, 02:00 PM
By the way, I use KDE almost exclusively. I much prefer it to GNOME.

multescugeorge@
23rd November 2006, 02:11 PM
Make sure cups is started:
service cups start
then just ignore the error messages if you can go forward with the printer configuration.

markkuk
23rd November 2006, 02:19 PM
The real reason I did not bother to mention the exact make of the printer is that I believe the problem lies with system-config-printer. It appears that that programme crashes when it does not recognise the printer, when ideally it should use "Generic" as the default value.
You should report this as a bug on http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

I did check on linuxprinting.org before posting here. There is nothing on Lenovo printers at that site.
In that case it's unlikely that your printer works in Linux.

Detonate
23rd November 2006, 02:46 PM
I believe Lenovo printers are actually made by Lexmark. I could be wrong, but you might try some drivers for Lexmark printers and see if they work.

bigfootnmd
30th November 2006, 09:39 PM
GEE, I just went to www.lenovo.com However, since your post never mentions the printer model I could not look for drivers. Also, without a printer model number you cannot even GOOGLE to search. So, somewhere on your printer (maybe a book or a label on the back) will be a model number.

Reisswolf
1st December 2006, 03:45 PM
Well, evidently, it is the Lenovo 4330.

But I still believe that is not the important part. For some reason, cups is failing here. I want to reinstall cups, but when I do "yum install cups" it says "nothing to do."

I need to figure out a way to fix cups. I am quite confident that once I do that, I will be able to use my printer at least as a generic postscript printer.

Reisswolf
1st December 2006, 05:09 PM
Gosh, no matter what I try, I keep getting:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running.

Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

I have even restarted cups several times with "service cups start."