PDA

View Full Version : Monitor won't standby

bk_InAZ
21st November 2006, 09:36 PM
I posted this in the Hardware forum on the 19th, but haven't had any replies, so please forgive the cross-post:

I have a Benq FP202W, and I check to see it goes into standby under Win XP, and it does, but not under FC6. I have a PCIe ATI Radeon X600 with just this monitor.

I have played with the (limited) power settings to tell the monitor to go into standby after 11 minutes of inactivity, but all I get is a blank screen, with the monitor active.

I have the "DPMI" option in my xorg.conf file. I have not specified any standby timeout options in that file- should I?

What am I missing? (I have been using Linux since RH version 5.1, but it's so reliable that I haven't messed with it enough to get very proficient.) Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bill

Seve
21st November 2006, 10:04 PM
Hello:
Check your System / Preferences / Screensaver
and make sure disable your screensaver & Lock Screen and make sure that Regard the computer as idle after: something > 11 minutes
save, exit and see it that helps the standby issue

Seve

bk_InAZ
21st November 2006, 10:13 PM
Many thanks for the suggestion- unfortunately it didn't work. In the screensaver options I can disable it (which I did) and set the "regard computer as idle" to some value X. Then in preferences | Power Management, the lowest number I can set the monitor to enter standby is X+1 (minutes). Of course, it never does enter standby. It just goes blank under full power (LED is greeen, not amber).

What else is there?

Thanks,

Bill

Seve
21st November 2006, 10:18 PM
Hello:
What else is there?

On the General Tab is the Sleep Type when inactive set to Suspend?

Seve

bk_InAZ
21st November 2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, it's suspend- but I don't think that has to do with the monitor- it's system suspend (or hibernate, if set to that).

Thanks,

Bill

Seve
22nd November 2006, 12:13 AM
Hello:
Just going through a few machines here to check the settings and yours seem to be the same and monitor power downs work fine here.... :confused:

Don't know if it helps, however, the only other thing I can think of is to check that acpid is running?

# chkconfig --list | grep acpid
acpid 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

Seve

bk_InAZ
22nd November 2006, 12:24 AM
Many thanks again, Seve- I executed the command and got identical results to yours (3,4,5, on) for acpid. I never would've known to check that!

I'm open to any other suggestions...

Bill

Seve
22nd November 2006, 01:06 AM
Hello Bill:
I am not sure what you may want to check next?
I am assuming that haldaemon and messagebus are enabled ?
Have you updated your system?
Have you scanned through you logs .. to see if anything is sticking out?
The only other potential item that I can think of is if it is related to your
ATI drivers?
I don't have any active ATI cards, so I am not much help there.
Have you installed the ATI drivers from livna via yum ? I believe they are labeled as kmod-fglrx

Seve

bk_InAZ
22nd November 2006, 08:02 AM
I'm sorry- I don't know what to do with this:
<<Have you installed the ATI drivers from livna via yum ? I believe they are labeled as kmod-fglrx>>

I have installed the yum extender and played with it, but I can't find the driver. I can say that "an" ATi driver is installed, but I don't know if it's the right one, however it displays the viedo very well at my LCD's native resolution of 1600x1050. (Of course, I had to play with the xorg.conf file to get that to work well.)

Can you give me some further direction on using yum to find and install the latest ATI driver? Using the yum extender is perferable, if possible.

Sorry for my ignorance, I guess I have to start somewhere and your help is invaluable.

Thanks,

Bill

Coolerthanyou
22nd November 2006, 08:46 AM
Try forcing acpi in the kernel with root=acpi=force in the boot parameters. Then try using this option in the display section device in xorg.conf

Option "UseFBDev" "true"

That has so far shut off any display for me that otherwise refused.

bk_InAZ
22nd November 2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Coolerthanyou, I tried these, but still no monitor standby. I need to check into changing the video driver, I think. That was Seve's suggestion, anyway. I downloaded it from AMD's website. It looks like a fairly involved process so I guess I'll take it up after a good night's sleep.

Bill

Coolerthanyou
23rd November 2006, 09:30 AM
Could also be a compositor if you're using one. I know people love them for some reason but I've often seen them bug out screensavers and display options, standby in particular.

bk_InAZ
23rd November 2006, 10:55 AM
This is the first time I've ever encountered the term "compositor". I don't think that I am using one. What is the name of one (I assume it's software) under Linux? I'll look to see if it's running.

Thanks,

Bill