PDA

View Full Version : kernel wont boot

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 08:44 PM
Hey,
I just updated my whole system using yum update,

Now i rebooted the computer and it hangs on.

Uncompressing Linux . . . OK, Booting the kernel

All i see is a flashing cursor.

Any ideas on whats up and how to fix it?

i installed kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 but i can boot into the older kernel in GRUB.

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 08:52 PM
architecture problems? Dont know why it would update with the i686 kernel if you had the i586 by mistake, but stranger things have happened with this bug. What kernel moduals do you have installed? kmod-nvidia, kmod-xen...? the easiest way to see all this in one place, including arch, is fire up yumex and go to remove programs. I would check the new kernel arch against the old.

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 10:50 PM
im really new to linux, can you explain exactly what i need to do?

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 10:54 PM
ok both kernel packages are i586, where as everything else is i386.

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 10:59 PM
ok, while you have that old kernel booted try this:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common

Do the 3 steps outlined in the code boxes to change to i686. Then try a yum update.

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 11:19 PM
ok i done all that, rebooted and its still the same.

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 11:43 PM
nobody know anything i can do?

Seve
21st November 2006, 11:48 PM
Hello:
What are your hardware specs?

Seve

Jpitcairn
21st November 2006, 11:51 PM
what do you want to know.

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe your grub menu.lst didnt reconfigure and is still trying to boot the old updated kernel? Try removing the updated kernel through yum or yumex. Then reboot back into the old kernel checking the grub splash screen on the way. The updated kernel entry should be gone. If it's not then boot up into root, go into /boot/grub/menu'lst and manually delet that title entry. Save it then end session, log into user and yum update kernel.

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:05 AM
nope, still the same problem :(

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 12:10 AM
Well...I'm stumped! Let me beat my head against this desk awhile, maybe I'll think up something. One thing you can bet on, the answer is very easy and very stupid that we are overlooking it...

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:12 AM
maybe acpi should be turned on?

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 12:22 AM
let'er rip, couldnt hurt to try...What kind of CPU are you running? Is it SMP? Also, what kind of GPU, are you running any kernel moduals? Or just the straight kernel package? What happens when you type "arch" in the terminal? better yet, try "uname -a"?

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:24 AM
.What kind of CPU are you running? Is it SMP? Also, what kind of GPU, are you running any kernel moduals? Or just the straight kernel package? What happens when you type "arch" in the terminal?

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
SMP - Dunno
GPU - Nvidia Geforce FX5200
No Kmods just the straight kernel package
and "arch" outputs "i686"

uname outputs "Linux Jordan 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:37:32 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux"

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 12:35 AM
well hell, that says you have no problems :D You show smp which is dual core, but that would be the hyperthreading in your Intel chip. I dont know, what does your grub/menu.lst look like? There has to be a reason why the updated kernel just aint taking. We might be beating a dead horse here but if your game why not try:

su

rpm -e --allmatches kernel.i586

yum install kernel.i686

Just to make damn sure that new kernel is also i686

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:45 AM
[root@Jordan Jordan]# rpm -e --allmatches kernel.i586
[root@Jordan Jordan]# yum install kernel.i686
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB 00:00
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extras
Setting up repositories
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extras
[root@Jordan Jordan]#

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 12:52 AM
you are just timeing out. You can change that by editing the /etc/yum.conf file (all the way at the bottom of the etc screen) (as root) by adding the line "timeout=3000" where the number is just an abstract that keeps yum talking to the mirrors for a while before giving up.

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:52 AM
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 12:55 AM
yep, that means your kernel 2849 is def. i686...

edit: next step is to look at your grub/menu.lst file. I suspect that this just isnt getting updated for some reason. I'm looking at mine now to see if I get any ideas but going to post this now as I may be awhile...

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 12:57 AM
so, got any more ideas?

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 01:01 AM
menu.lst

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2849.fc6)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 acpi=off rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 acpi=off rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 01:08 AM
ok, if you open your /boot/grub/menu.lst (do this by opening a terminal and su then "gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" you should have both kernels listed. Make sure the updated kernel is on the same partition (of course it would be...) and that backing up into /boot that you have just one vmlinuz and just one initid for each kernel version. If everything looks kosher here I am out of answers.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,2)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda3
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2849.fc6)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

You can try to match mine (with the exception of the partitions of course)

edit: I see no problems with your. The differences are just LVM for you vs. EXT3 for me and the fact you have a seperate /boot (which is good!) and I dont.

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 07:16 PM
i still have this problem, anyone have any ideas?

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 07:23 PM
I'm still here JP and still no new ideas. I just dont understand why grub wont see that kernel. When you reinstalled it are you positive the grub entry cleared and was replaced with the new one? This is the only thing I can think of to explain this.

edit: If you go into /boot and you only see one kernel 2849 vmlinuz and one initrd file then this should be ok.

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 07:25 PM
i tried a clean install of fedora and its still the same :S

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 07:27 PM
Oh Lordy...

man, if a clean install also failed then you got something screwy going on with your hardware. If you arent all that set up you might want to try another install but this time dont use the LVM, just manually partition for ext3. This is the only answer I can think of is your grub entry is getting misdirected and cant find the new kernel. But when the entry is the exact same as the old kernel and it finds that has got me baffled.

the poi
22nd November 2006, 07:28 PM
im having a kernel panic on boot with 2849 on an x64 arch. maybe the kernel has some bugs? anyone else have general trouble booting 2849?

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 07:28 PM
what happens at that point of the booting?

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 07:40 PM
could it be a bad burn?

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 07:52 PM
no, because you install fine. Everything is great until you try to update the kernel. We are pretty sure the kernel is fine, I am running 2849, everyone here is running it, there are no bugs with it...You are not running any development stuff, or any mods like xen or nvidia...just a staright 32 bit i686 kernel. We know your old and new kernels were both i686. menu.lst looks fine...I hate to tell you this, but your problem just doesnt exist! :D I dont know, This is the extent of my knowledge and help. The only thing I suspect is the LVM and the fact your grub is misdirecting the lernel. Have you tried acpi=on? I seriously doubt this would make any difference. I dont know, I wish some of our other gurus would take a peek at this one because I am at a loss.

Jpitcairn
22nd November 2006, 07:55 PM
so what should i do? xD

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 08:07 PM
lol, I dont know...If you want to keep picking at it then like I said, maybe reinstall again using manual partitioning and ext3. Then, when you go through firstboot, dont do anything until you change the i586 kernel to i686. Then just yum update kernel. Then reboot. If this doesnt work then you are screwed in a huge way. It makes no sense but obviously FC6 is no good for you unless you can update the kernel. There has got to be a reason and a solution. You either research it and find it or try another distro. Plain and simple, thats about it...I'll keep thinking on it myself...

ToddEichel
1st December 2006, 02:03 AM
I'm having the exact same issue. Clean install of .2798., at first boot, it finds 160-something updates, runs them all, then next boot it tries to bring up the .2849. and stops at the same place. I've got an older box, dual PIII 550MHz, matrox AGP video card, 512 MB RAM on an ASUS board (P2B-DS). It'd be nice to figure this one out....

JN4OldSchool
1st December 2006, 02:39 PM
OK, try this. Dont accept the yum updates in Gnome until AFTER you change the kernel from i586 to i686.

ToddEichel
1st December 2006, 04:51 PM
Old kernel is i686. I just did a clean install and accepted all updates except the kernel update and it's working fine, so it's got to be something in that kernel that's not liking something else....

JN4OldSchool
1st December 2006, 05:58 PM
How do you know the old kernel is i686? I am asking because when I typed "arch" after install i got the same report. However, I installed yumex "yum install yumex" and opened it and went to "remove programs." Scrooling down to the kernel it reported it as i586. I think this is what is screwing most people up here. You can try this or just go to that site I linked in a previous post and follow the steps to make CERTAIN you have the i686 kernel. I do NOT think the 2849 kernel is flawed in any way as you two are the only ones reporting this. I think it is an architecure problem.

ToddEichel
1st December 2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I was looking at it in the "remove programs" section of yumex. Most everything was i386, and the only things that weren't, were i686, including both kernels.

JN4OldSchool
1st December 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm at a complete loss then. I think if it were me I would just hang out till the next kernel release and see what happens. They release them fairly often. Keep your eye on the testing repo, there may already be a new one in there. If that doesnt work I hate to say it but I would be looking at other distros. Unless of course you can figure this out.

ToddEichel
1st December 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, that was my plan. I actually did a remove on the kernel in yumex, and it hosed my X server, and nothing I did was able to get it back up and working, so I just reinstalled, and when it came up with all the available updates, I unselected the new kernel and left everything else. Working fine right now, I'll just keep checking until there's a new kernel distro number.