PDA

View Full Version : Startup Menu

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 06:52 PM
How do you place programs in the startup menu in FC6?

Dan
21st November 2006, 07:40 PM
Gnome or KDE?

In Gnome, install the gnome tweak ui and tweak menus pakages with... Application>Add/Remove Software. Once they are loaded up, go to System>Preferences>More Preferences>Menu Layout. Then adjust to your heart's content!

Don't use KDE, Can't help you with that. JN4OldSchool is a dyed in the wool KDE man. Fire him a PM and I'll bet he can get you squared away there.

Dan

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 07:47 PM
no need. Just right click on the kdemenu icon and open menu editor. Click the add icon, type the name you want to appear then under command type the opening command for that app, usually just the name of the app.

Dan
21st November 2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks, JN4!

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 08:14 PM
thanks! i am still having a difficult time with linux... i have only been using it for a month... i just switched from windows soo.. its different... your help is greatly appreciated...

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 08:20 PM
Hang in there, it gets much easier in a short time. Speaking for myself, I am not a rocket scientist but FC has become second nature for me. No, I'm not writting scripts or anything, but I keep this puppy running!

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 08:24 PM
i am still having troubles configuring hardware & with the desktop like customizing it. i am having trouble understanding yum... i know what it does & all. i don't know when i need to download a new program or what program i should go get & etc.

Salamandra
21st November 2006, 08:27 PM
Alacarte in gnome.
run alacarte in terminal.

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 08:29 PM
The hardware...well, it gets tricky and everyone has such a different experience there...But as far as the desktop, make sure you right click opn everything to find all the menus. I cant speak for Gnome but KDE is fairly straight forward. I would actually suggest installing both and giving each a shot. FC is a Gnome distro and the majority of folks in here prefer that.

edit: Have you tried yumex yet? "yum install yumex" as root. It makes it easier to window shop though it is a tad bit slower than cli yum.

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 08:34 PM
yes, i have yumex... i am still unsure what to download

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 08:41 PM
lol, basically whatever you want for your learning experience then as you get to know all the packages you can run a tighter, stripped down distro by say FC7! Really, if it sounds interesting go ahead and download it and play. This is how you learn. My FC4 install I had around 15 misic players, every web browser I could find, all the word processors...Yum will take care of any dependancies for you. Just relax and go to town with it. Worst case is you screw something up and have to reinstall. (you do have your important stuff backed up?) If you were smart and created a seperate /home then all your stuff will be waiting on you for every fresh install (including bookmarks, app config files ((say you got OO.o writer set up just so, well, it stays set up)), wallpaper, desktop settings... If you didnt do this this time round dont worry, just catch it next time.

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 10:27 PM
would it be ok if i have any question during the course if i im'ed you??? if not its cool...

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 10:35 PM
I dont usually have my IM on, but feel free to PM me anytime. I am in this forum every day except the weekend.

xGutsAndGloryx
21st November 2006, 10:39 PM
sweet! thanks!