PDA

View Full Version : Ex Windowzzz Now Linux NewBe with Questions

Bill Z
21st November 2006, 03:47 PM
New guy to Linux, Fedora 5 and Gnome but have been working with Windozzz for some time. Maybe my biggest problem is comparing Linux to Windozzz but I canít help (old habits).

I have some questions about things I use to do regularly in Windozzz and think I need to know how in Fedora5 / Gnome.

Here are some questions I'm currently struggling with.

In Windozzz, to know properties of an icon, you could right click on it and go to properties. There you could find the directory the program is running. You could change memory usage or extend the execute command to include parameters (customizing that particular icon). How do you do this in Gnome?

In windozzz, I could create my own icon and assign properties (similar to above question). How do you create custom icons and assign properties to it for what ever task I have in mind?

In Windozzz, to check disk usage, there was a summary at the bottom of explorer saying how much space is available. The window in Gnome doesnít. What utility should I use to see directories, files and available space all in one window?

In Windozzz, I had the option to display an icon on the task bar to indicate network connectivity at start up. When the system came up, I knew I was connected. If the network were lost somewhere, I could tell without running anything (it was always running). How do I do this in Gnome?

In Windozzz, I had the option to run a virus/Trojan scan on anything that I downloaded (could manually select of have it automatically scan). Now, I know that Linux isnít as susceptible but there could be troublesome code within those tar files that get downloaded. Just to make a paranoid happy, how do you do this in Linux? What is the better virus checking software (Donít tell me there isnít any) (Viruses can be written for any OS). Here is my case: www.stanton-finley.net has instructions to make many features work. Many of these instructions require running su then downloading tar files. Then installing. Since you are in su, you could be installing a Trojan. Could happen if you were to use the wrong site.

OK, Iím getting pretty use to this OS and finding out a bunch of things. I intend to stay with it if I can.

Please help.

Amitava
21st November 2006, 08:13 PM
1. Almost same way 4 gnome
2. Right click on desktop -> create launcher -> specify the command name ,icon etc.
3.Right click on taskbar -> add applet to panel -> if there is no such utility you want then download it.
4.ClamAV is a antyvirus software for linux it comes with ur FC DVD or in Extra CD.

Bill Z
21st November 2006, 08:53 PM

Yes, It does say Profile but it doesn't tell from what directory the program is run and it doesn't let you attach parameters.

Bill Z
21st November 2006, 09:00 PM
2. Right click on desktop -> create launcher -> specify the command name ,icon etc.
3.Right click on taskbar -> add applet to panel -> if there is no such utility you want then download it.
4.ClamAV is a antyvirus software for linux it comes with ur FC DVD or in Extra CD.

Avitma,

I thank you for this information. the 'add applet to panel' helped. That was great.

I have to try the ClamAV. I did install from the DVD.

One thing I have noticed is using the correct words to describe. linux uses some diffrent terms. So to look something up or to search may not get you what you want. I'v tried.

Any help on displaying available disk space? How do I know?

bob
21st November 2006, 09:06 PM
Check Applications > System Tools > Disk Usage Analyzer

JN4OldSchool
21st November 2006, 09:10 PM
You can also yum install qtparted which is a great partitioning tool. But it also has a great visual representation of drive usage on all drives on your machine. I believe GKRellem may also have a plug in for this.

PeteNJ
21st November 2006, 09:52 PM
Ot you can just fire up a terminal and type df -h ....

A.Serbinski
22nd November 2006, 12:09 AM
Yes, It does say Profile but it doesn't tell from what directory the program is run and it doesn't let you attach parameters.
It doesn't tell you what directory the program runs from because they all run from ~.
It DOES let you specify parameters... right click, launcher, *command* -- you can add parameters here.

johno12345
22nd November 2006, 12:21 AM
for anti virus, AVG from grisoft is also available for linux.

its available as an rpm from free.grisoft.com or if you want to purchase a licensed version www.grisoft.com

hope this helps

as for displaying drive info, desklets are pretty neat desktop items. I know its not in the same window as the filemanager but they are a great way of displaying handy information such as temp, disk info, weather, music etc etc on your desktop

bob
22nd November 2006, 12:30 AM
And don't forget AVAST for linux http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-linux-workstation.html One minor glitch on this one - it gives a false positive on one red hat artwork as being a virus. Just ignore it.

Bill Z
22nd November 2006, 02:50 AM
It doesn't tell you what directory the program runs from because they all run from ~.

You got this newbe here. I haven't the foggiest what you said. Let me see: Lets say that I right click on the internet browser icon (looks sort of like a globe) to see what directory and program will be run, I'll find that it actualy runs from directory ~? I would thing it runs fron /bin or /sbin or something like that and the program on my Gnome ends up being Firefox.

When I do a profile on that icon, I can't tell anything. I did notice that if I built my own icon, there is a bunch more information. Idea!!! Maybe because I don't have privelage! This Lunix !

Could I be right here?

JN4OldSchool
22nd November 2006, 03:25 AM
try right click on the icon then select properties then permissions tab.

nick.stumpos
22nd November 2006, 04:18 AM
lets see if i cant answer the unaswered ones.
to keep nautilus all in one window
open a folder go edit->prefernces behavior tab click browser window
nautilus should list the free space at the bottom as explorer does.
or from a terminal du -h filename or directory will tell you how much space each file is using
df -h will give you total disk usage and percntage of disk used
Im not sure what you mean where the programs are run. if you mean literly then the ram. but if you mean where the programs are
whereis program name will search for the executable
to change the cpu priority one would launch a command with nice
nice command n=desired nice level
for the network there are a couple of things.
gkrelm will sit on your desktop and monitor it
you can add network monitor to your panel
if you really wanna go nuts take a look through /proc/net
and netstat will shopw you just about anything you need to know about socket connections
finially wireshark(formally ethereal will let you listen in to anything shouted acroos your network

Bill Z
22nd November 2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys. I have enough to keep me going. This OS sure has a bunch of stuff to use. I like it.