PDA

View Full Version : WinRar

CrackedLCD
21st November 2006, 08:42 AM
Can anybody tell me how to install WinRar? The only version of WinRar for linux works only in the command line prompt...but I'm new to linux and don't know how to install programs from the command line prompt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seve
21st November 2006, 09:34 AM
Hello:
Any particular reason you need the WinRar package ?
There are other packages/apps available if you just want to unpack or create compressed files.

Seve

KClaisse
21st November 2006, 09:47 AM
The Linux WinRAR for the command prompt will also embed itself into the file roller (package gui). Just make sure that you have the Livna repo enabled in yum and do

yum install unrar

I understand the need for rar, sometimes my fully legal torrent downloads will use rar archives.

But just so you know, this is only the unrar portion. If you were intending to pack files in rar format, you will be out of luck. I suggest you use the very fine gzip format. It is extremely capable of accommodating even the greatest of needs.

beer_hunter
21st November 2006, 01:51 PM
there is no WinRar for linux, there is only Rar, command line archiver, it doesn't have any gui cuz it's compatible with ark/fileroller.

Salamandra
21st November 2006, 02:36 PM
Remenber that in order to install unrar you have to be root (su -). When it is installed it will uncompress your .rar files just by clicking on them (translation of "compatible with fileroller).

Good luck.

sailor
21st November 2006, 03:47 PM
I beleive there is a RarGui available...
http://www.vsite.gr/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=4&lid=27

Dies
21st November 2006, 04:35 PM
That's awesome sailor, thanks!
I'd been using the command line version but sometimes it's annoying.

Cracked - if you want the full version just go to WinRar (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)
Download the Linux version to your desktop, right click on it and select extract here then open a terminal and type cd Desktop <--if that's where you dl'ed it.
Then type su hit enter and type in your pass.
Now change into that folder by typing cd rar
type cp rar unrar /usr/local/bin
type cp rarfiles.lst /etc
type cp default.sfx /usr/local/lib
And you're done installing WinRar now head over to the site sailor posted and grab the gui, there's instructions on that site just make sure you run both packages from / and you also have to run chmod a+x <name of the package> for each one before you install.

Joe_Coleman
17th July 2007, 02:03 AM
useful. Thanks everybody!