PDA

View Full Version : Can I set apps to start on different cube faces?

techmum
21st November 2006, 07:41 AM
I am running AIGLX & Compiz with 3D desktop.

Would love to click Firefox icon on my panel and have it automatically start on virtual desktop 2. Have Open Office automatically start on virtual desktop 3, and so forth.

Thus, is there a way to specify in the Properties for an Application what Virtual Desktop it should start on?

Thanks

brahms
21st November 2006, 11:17 AM
I don't think that compiz has this possibility. However if you install beryl which has just come into Extras, you can specify properties for created windows including location, opacity, etc.

yum install beryl-gnome
or

yum install beryl-kde

galatei
21st November 2006, 11:49 AM
I am running AIGLX & Compiz with 3D desktop.

Would love to click Firefox icon on my panel and have it automatically start on virtual desktop 2. Have Open Office automatically start on virtual desktop 3, and so forth.

Thus, is there a way to specify in the Properties for an Application what Virtual Desktop it should start on?

Thanks
Hi,
Having AIGLX is like having all standard window manager options available.
What you avtually looking for is to execute it in another workspace (eqal to specific cube face). Use 'man startx' or 'man x' (don't remember exactly) to find out, about several window manager options (like --geometry).
I'm sure there's a commandline option that will fit your needs.

Regards

Harryc
21st November 2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think that compiz has this possibility. However if you install beryl which has just come into Extras, you can specify properties for created windows including location, opacity, etc. Where is beryl settings manager is this done?

brahms
21st November 2006, 05:42 PM
Where is beryl settings manager is this done?

I can't remember exactly - I'm not using Beryl at the moment - but I think the plugin is called "Set Window Attributes". The syntax is rather obtuse, but there are a few examples here:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Plugins/StatePlugin

techmum
21st November 2006, 10:51 PM
I don't think that compiz has this possibility. However if you install beryl which has just come into Extras, you can specify properties for created windows including location, opacity, etc.

yum install beryl-gnome

Ta.

I have to rebuild my FC6T2 machine soon, so I will test with Beryl instead of Compiz.

I see that beryl-gnome is in the extras-development repository.

silvagroup
12th December 2006, 08:35 AM
Beryl-kde is in there also. In KDE the setting and the manager are in Kmenu under settings. Not sure about Gnome, probablyunder system preferences, or administartion.

techmum
13th December 2006, 04:18 AM
Patiently waiting for next version of Beryl cause the current one is giving me two big problems>

i. title bar turns white when a window is maximized

ii. OpenOffice.org hard locks the machine whenever it is closed

Without Beryl, neither problem exists.

So meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting until I can show-off Beryl to my friends.

silvagroup
13th December 2006, 05:55 PM
Yea I have reached the same conclusion. The version in the repos is a not the latest but I am not savvy enough to mess with svn and compile and all that stuff. I suppose the repos will be updated soon enough.