PDA

View Full Version : Best way to partition drive

wesamel
21st November 2006, 03:31 AM
Hey,
I currently have all of my files (music, docs, etc.) saved in My Documents in Windows, and I'm accessing them using ntfs-3g in Fedora. I want to create a separate partition so I can share my files between Windows and Fedora and they would be safe in case I need to reinstall either OS.
What I want to know is the best way to format this new partition.

e.g. FAT32, NTFS, ext2 or ext3 (I know that a tool exists that lets you access ext partitions in Windows).

Thanks

Seve
21st November 2006, 03:48 AM
Hello:
My vote would go for FAT32

Seve

wesamel
21st November 2006, 04:24 AM
Is there any specific reason? And does anyone else want to throw in their opinion?

Dan
21st November 2006, 04:31 AM
Seve's opinion is plenty good enough for me. It's accessible from multiple OSs.

Seve
21st November 2006, 04:33 AM
Is there any specific reason?
Hello:
Well ... specific reasons cost extra... :D

Not, really other than it is easily mounted and read by either OS without any additional need for other tools. Essentially, it is natively supported by both OS's.

However, I am sure others will share their opinions and reasons as well.

Seve

Seve
21st November 2006, 04:36 AM
Seve's opinion is plenty good enough for me. It's accessible from multiple OSs.
Hello Dan:
The 10 bucks is in the mail :D

How's things?

Seve

Dan
21st November 2006, 04:40 AM
Make it twenty, Christmas is coming.

Doing fine! Broke down,heaved caution to the wind, and put FC6 on the main box. Lovin' it so far. :) The Anaconda bit me again though. Took about 2 minutes to fix this time. New screenshot is up in the gallery if you want to see it.

Still getting cold and wet and collectin' lint up there? :D

Wes... This thread might come in handy. http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92686#post685051

D

Seve
21st November 2006, 04:45 AM
Hello Dan:
Yes, your desktop looks fabulous. You are artistic, aren't you. I like those icons ... really sharp. :cool:
Nice dry and sunny day here today.
Laid off the lint thing for a while ... people were beginning to talk :eek:

Seve

wesamel
21st November 2006, 04:48 AM
Ok, I'll follow your suggestion then Seve. Thanks.

Dan
21st November 2006, 04:53 AM
Laid off the lint thing for a while ... people were beginning to talk

Yeah. I quit cleanin' my ears out with a BBQ fork for the same reason.

Seve
21st November 2006, 04:56 AM
Yeah. I quite cleanin' my ears out with a BBQ fork for the same reason.
Hello:

Me just had a serious belly laugh :)

Thank you !

Seve

rambutan
21st November 2006, 05:02 AM
I use fat32 partitions for music, images and a shared partition (/LinuxWinXP).

I had hassels using the fat32 for my data partition. For linux downloads that I later wanted to install there were problems so I created an ext3 data partition. Also I hit the 4.0GB max when downloading DVDs with fat32. Seems a fat32 file cannot be more than 4.000000GB

I always unplug be DSL before allowing Windows to boot. So any download I want for Windows is via Linux then copied to Windows. Although I seldom use Windows I actually did recently to burn a movie.wmv to a video DVD using Nero (A friend needed help and I don't know how to do this in Linux).

Partition strategy though...
I believe in keeping OS and Data separate. I even use links for some .stuff to get it out of OS space. Doing this I can easily boot in SuSE10.1 or FC4 or FC6 and still read the same OpenOffice files. Even my bookmarks in Firefox are the same because I only have one bookmark file with links from the OS's to it. A new bookmark in SuSE shows up in FC6.

Also keeping OS and Data separate means small partitions for the OS (mine are 8 to 10 GB) and several OSs. I've tried CentOS, Debian and many others without giving up anything in FedoraCore or SuSE. I even have two FC6 so I can experiment with software in one and only load software I really want in my good FC6. I have a 120GB drive and a 250GB drive. Grub is much more than "dual-boot".

Just things to think about before partitioning the hard drive(s).