PDA

View Full Version : WINE not installing....

kpedersen
20th November 2006, 11:24 PM
Hello,

I am using Fedora Core 5 and 6 and trying to install WINE. I got all the latest files but when I double click on the .rpm file(s) they just say cannot install because you are not connected to the internet.

It is completely correct. I am not connected to the internet at home so... Does it not install offline? Why does it need to go online. It didnt need to with fedora core 4. I have noticed it uses a different package manager.

I have all the files and it should work.

If anyone could help me I would be thankful,

(everything else but WINE seems to install fine)
(I am using vanilla/fresh FC5 and fresh fc6)
(same happens with fedora core 6 too)

Cheers,

Karsten.

Huggles
20th November 2006, 11:26 PM
i know nothing of fedora core 5, but i strongly reccomend upgradeing to fedora core 6, before you get set in with a new os

kpedersen
20th November 2006, 11:30 PM
The exact same thing happens...

Huggles
20th November 2006, 11:32 PM
it could need the internet to check for required software, then download it, or to check for updates.

kpedersen
20th November 2006, 11:34 PM
hmm.. Perhaps... but then again it going to be hard to install with no internet connection then isnt it :p
(im at the library at the moment BTW)

bob
20th November 2006, 11:35 PM
If you use yum or yumex, wine is available as an install. 'yum search wine' will show you all the options you can install.

Huggles
20th November 2006, 11:36 PM
lawl, yep! i recommend getting one! lol just hardwire to a highspeed connection or something

bob
20th November 2006, 11:39 PM
EEP! No internet? Okay, let's try this: http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages and grab wine off of the CDs or DVD.

kpedersen
20th November 2006, 11:40 PM
so how would I use that?

yum (path to rpm file) ?

or do i need a -i or --install?

thanks for the help by the way :)

kpedersen
20th November 2006, 11:54 PM
Ohh, after some internet searching, now i know why it needed the internet... it has a few dependancies such as libglut and stuff so if I get them sorted, it shouldn't need to go online again. I think I must not have them so the cleaver git that fc5/6 is, goes online and gets them for you.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. I will also disable the repo's as instructed because then I will know exactly what dependencies I need!

Thanks again,

bob
20th November 2006, 11:59 PM
The path is going to be in /dev . You can find it with the 'locate cdrw" (or whatever it is) command in a terminal.

Edit: Okay - looks like you're all set then! Congrats!