PDA

View Full Version : iPOD firmware, libgpod, gtkpod and amarok

psyklops
20th November 2006, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post my experiences with getting my ipod working *again* under amarok and gtkpod especially the album art cover.

I'm running a 30GB 5th Gen iPOD video and the recent updated firmware (1.2) done via iTunes7 (they've combined it now :rolleyes: ) broke the way libgpod communicates with the iPOD and most significantly the album art, although i did see reports of files being lost, only one song showing on a playlist and so on.

Significant to libgpod, the new apple firmware update changed the behaviour of the SysInfo file located here /media/IPOD/iPod_Control/Device. There may have been other changes too, but libgpod uses the info in SysInfo to identify the type of iPOD and helps it to display album art correctly. Apparently, the new update doesn't use it anymore and creates a '0' byte SysInfo file. The result being gtkpod having Segmentation Fault errors and Amarok crashing as soon as you connect the iPOD. So ultimately, it appears that libgpod is not supported with the new apple updated firmware.

The fix for me was this:

1) Downgrade the ipod firmware. Mine was 1.2 on a 5th gen 30GB ipod. I had fresh backup images from a Rockbox installation I had so i simply 'dd' the .bin backup files I had back onto my iPOD. There is a procedure for downgrading which involved fudging iTunes7 in Windows to get it to load the older firmware...

2) Download libgpod-0.3.2 from a repository like freshrpms libgpod-0.3.2 (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2712538/com/libgpod-0.3.2-0.fc3.rf.i386.rpm.html) . I can only get 0.3.0 on my existing repositories (livna).

3) installed amarok and gtkpod after that and all is working...

One option I'd like to try is to use the latest libgpod-0.4.0. However there's no rpm in FC5 (I did see one for FC6) and I'd need to compile. However I'd like to build an rpm package out of it under i386 (i'm running x86_64) as I'm running i386 libgpod, amarok etc. My rpmbuild skills are rudimentary at best, so I'd be interested in someone guiding me along in building it or if someone has a libgpod-0.4.0 for FC5 i386 build, that would be fantastic!?