PDA

View Full Version : is auto power on possible?

Alex135
20th November 2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, FC5 and FC6 help.
Is it possible to make it so that my computer will auto power on in the mornings if it is shut down, but if it is up, but not logged in yet or anything, to allow it to stay up.

If all else fails is there a way to make it power up automaticly if power is supplied.

p.s. no drive/os needs to be defined to boot up from, my comp automaticly boots up in Fedora Core if no other OS's are selected.

I really need help, because i dont like to keep my linux box running during the night if i dont need to, and i like to be able to access it from other locations, and i forget to power it up in the morning.

deanlinkous
20th November 2006, 07:47 PM
the clapper?
clap on, clap off, the clapper.... :D

AFAIK there is no magical way to make your computer power up if that is what you are asking.

Alex135
20th November 2006, 07:57 PM
i was not refering to magic, lol just one that would turn my computer on at a spacific time or so, thats all.

BandC
20th November 2006, 08:14 PM
You probably need a remote power control box. They usually work over a phone line or an internet connection. Of course a power box is gonna cost you. I'm not sure if there are any software only solutions.

deanlinkous
20th November 2006, 08:22 PM
Yea, cant think of anything because a computer has a power button that needs to be pushed. If it was like a lamp then of course a simple 10buck timer from WallyWorld would work. If you could manage to rig your computer "on" then any timer would work I guess.

magic would be so much easier.

Now you could sleep/hibernate your computer and if you have WOL(wake on lan) network card then that should wake it back up but that is about the only idea I got.

robatino
20th November 2006, 10:14 PM
Look into your PC's BIOS settings. Some PCs have this sort of capability built in.

Alex135
21st November 2006, 11:05 PM
Now you could sleep/hibernate your computer and if you have WOL(wake on lan) network card then that should wake it back up but that is about the only idea I got.

Yes, i thaught of that, and i have tried to set that up, and i used some of those walkthroughs for linux to do it, but i am not sucsesfull.

Look into your PC's BIOS settings. Some PCs have this sort of capability built in.

Yes, it is in my BIOS...... On my laptop, my PC does not have that function...

hmm... oh well, im ont useing it as a server, just a computer...

FuzzyLumpkins
22nd November 2006, 12:48 PM
If you're lucky enough to enable Wake On Lan on your PC , then you can use another computer to send a WakeOnLan command to your PC which will boot your PC.

Enableing WakeOnLan on Fedora Core is a pain in the ass ... at least, I can't get it running for some reason. I keep getting an "Operation not supported" message, but my damn computer supports Wake On Lan .... *mumbles and curses*

Alex135
22nd November 2006, 06:23 PM
i dont get an error at all, but wait, i just realized something, i havn't been makeing my computer go into standby, its alwase just shutting off completely, that is probably why it wont work... im going need to try it.

[edit] nope... no luck