PDA

View Full Version : my system crashed

Dan Ziolkowski
20th November 2006, 02:19 AM
I installed FC5 on a Gateway laptop. My sound card did not work so I installed realtek-linux-audiopack-FC5-4.05b. I did the Automatic install of ./install.
I rebotted PC, and now it crashes. When I log in I get a meaasage that my session lasted only 10 sec, there could be an install problem.

The ~/.xsession-errors files says:

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -1 ":0" anZ"
/usr/bin/gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks for any help! Dan

ZeusZon
20th November 2006, 03:18 AM
I'm no guru. But do you have the related alsa libraries installed for sound?

Add/Remove Software (presuming gnome):
I have installed:
alsa-lib
alsa-lib-devel
alsa-utils

Dan Ziolkowski
20th November 2006, 01:42 PM
I think you are correct, but how do I install them? I can open a term session.

ZeusZon
20th November 2006, 01:59 PM
I can't test it but try this. I presume you have a live Internet connection.

Super-user:
yum install alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel alsa-utils

Dan Ziolkowski
23rd November 2006, 06:47 PM
I can't test it but try this. I presume you have a live Internet connection.

Super-user:
yum install alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel alsa-utils
this got my system back, thanks.
Now to figure out why my soundcard is not working.
Dan

rappermas
23rd November 2006, 08:13 PM
Type:
alsamixerin a terminal. Sometimes, the sound is turned down. Other than that, you might need the right driver for it.

Dan Ziolkowski
24th November 2006, 12:10 AM
Type:
alsamixerin a terminal. Sometimes, the sound is turned down. Other than that, you might need the right driver for it.
Tried it, no luck-
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

ZeusZon
24th November 2006, 12:24 AM
Good to know your system is booting again.

Here's a thought.
You installed the drivers and it failed to boot since it required the alsa files.
Maybe the drivers you installed required the alsa installed before hand. Your drivers might modify certain files of alsa.
You could try installing the drivers on top again. Worth ago if you can't think of anything else.
Disclamier: Should be fine to try. But don't blame me

Dan Ziolkowski
24th November 2006, 01:18 AM
Good to know your system is booting again.

Here's a thought.
You installed the drivers and it failed to boot since it required the alsa files.
Maybe the drivers you installed required the alsa installed before hand. Your drivers might modify certain files of alsa.
You could try installing the drivers on top again. Worth ago if you can't think of anything else.
Disclamier: Should be fine to try. But don't blame me
when I boot up, I see errors that look sound file related. But they move by too fast to read. Can the boot be slowed up or "stepped through" so I can ID these errors?

ZeusZon
24th November 2006, 01:26 AM
Check out your logs:

Need to be superuser to see them.

/var/log

Have a look in that folder. boot.log and messages would be a good place to start.

Errors should be logged in this folder unless you have switched off services manually.

Dan Ziolkowski
26th November 2006, 01:27 AM
boot.logs are all empty

ZeusZon
26th November 2006, 01:50 AM
Reboot your system.
When it displays hit 'I' for interactive mode (or something similar)
Hit 'I'
It then should ask you which services you want loaded one by one. This should give you a chance to write down your errors.

Edit Note: I'm unlikely to be any use to you when you have your errors noted down. Sorry. Forums search/Google should help you proceed.