PDA

View Full Version : Which package to install to use modprobe etc?

geniux
20th November 2006, 01:34 AM
Hi
Which is the nessecary package/-es I need to install to be able to use modprobe, rmmod, lsmod etc and also to be able to use adduser?
I'm be searching around a little on the forums but everyone seems to have all these things working

TIA

leigh123linux
20th November 2006, 02:20 AM
you just run them as ( su - ) which is different to su , if you want to use ( su ) put a /sbin/ in front i.e /sbin/modprobe

geniux
20th November 2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll test it as soon as i get home
Why not let root use those files as any other like in other distros? Well, I guess it's a matter of habit and I'll get used to it too ;)

Thanks again

Edit: I feel pretty dumb for not trying that though, it's kinda obvious when told :rolleyes:

leigh123linux
20th November 2006, 10:46 AM
su - takes you to /

su leaves you where you are

geniux
20th November 2006, 04:11 PM
su - takes you to /

That I didn't know, never used that command. Thanks

su leaves you where you are
And this I know, I always use this command

But I wondered why I must type /sbin/modprobe instead of just modprobe which you can do in Gentoo and other distros (even though it's recomended doing /sbin/ in most distros). Is this a Fedora/Red Hat thing that one must type /sbin/ to get the command activated? I love to learn, therefor I ask much and stupid about things I haven't tested or used :D

parish
20th November 2006, 07:05 PM
For some reason /sbin is not included in your path by default. When I su to root it is so I'm not sure what happened to your system. Depending on the shell you use, the path should be defined in a file like .cshrc, .tcshrc, /etc/bashrc, /etc/csh.cshrc, /etc/csh.login, etc. Just look for the word path or PATH in these files and add /sbin to it. For example, the line in my /etc/csh.login file is

setenv PATH "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin" <-- notice no /sbin!

but root's .cshrc file includes /sbin

setenv PATH "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:${PATH}:${HOME}/bin"

so as root I can type commands like modprobe instead of /sbin/modprobe. Also, you can show the current path using echo $PATH

Daniel