PDA

View Full Version : Fedora hangs in FF

maddog39
19th November 2006, 09:53 PM
Hello all,

Okay well I mentioned before that I just switched to FC6 from ubuntu. This is the second day FC6 has been installed and I really like it but having alot of big problems. So far the only major problem I have is that whenever im in FF, or it may be other programs too, FC will just randomly hang and do nothing, completely freeze no response and it will stay stuck that way too. So the first time this happened I resorted the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X and when I did that, it tried to display the login screen but on the black screen came up like 6 or 7 I/O errors. So I panic thinking my HD is dying (which it may be although that doesnt make any sense, the comp isnt even a year old yet), I try to reboot into fedora and after I login it starts taking forever to load GNOME and it looked as if the HD was having a hard time reading or something. So I restart, and boot into windoze and decide to immediatly defrag my disk, ok so I do that it completes. I restart my comp. into fedora and it loads as usual no problems. But as I continue to use it, it will still randomly hang and get completely frozen, happened twice so far. Please help, and tell me if this is my HD or some instability in my software config on fedora.

Thanks!
-maddog39

Seve
19th November 2006, 11:12 PM
Hello:
A couple of items to check.
First:
system-config-services
and disable all the services you do not need, including yum-updatesd
There is an excellent guide here to assist you :http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=102853&highlight=time
Save, exit and reboot
Second:
Check your /var/lob/Xorg.0.log and see if there are any errors present, if so, fix them up

Seve

maddog39
20th November 2006, 04:52 AM
Okay I tried that stuff and it seemed to have worked. I disabled like 15 processes my particular comp wouldnt use along with the yum update deamon and it hasnt crashed since. Thanks! :D