PDA

View Full Version : Can gstreamer do this, this, and that?

DGF
19th November 2006, 03:12 AM
Hi all. I've moved recently and no longer have my own PC. However, I am helping out a new roommate who's PC was hosed (windows, viruses), so I'm helping him out by installing Fedora Core 6. He likes it, and likes the idea that he hardly has worry about OS security from now on.

I was just wondering, I thought I'd help him out by getting all his media able to up and run properly. I used to get rid of totem-gstreamer and put totem-xine in place, merely because I could get everything out there working with the latter (windows media, quicktime, and even DVDs) while I could never seem to get any of those to work with gstreamer. Has anything changed? Anyone know if there are plugins which work (and work as well as the xine ones) for gstreamer, that would allow me to get the above formats to work?

foolish
19th November 2006, 08:18 PM
I'm able to get most things to play using totem with the gstreamer backend as long as I install the gstreamer-plugins-* packages and the gstreamer-ffmpeg package from livna.org. For real media formats only real player really works in my experience, and as for windows media formats, only mplayer has been able to do the job. I keep totem as my primary player, and revert to mplayer or real player for said formats only.

nick.stumpos
19th November 2006, 08:21 PM
check the link im my sig, there are directions for geting totem to play everything. Although i do hate that player

DGF
20th November 2006, 12:08 AM
It sounds like your configuration only allows quicktime and open formats. The majority of the time I come across video files they are wmv. Even real player has a fair portion.

Sounds like the answer is a simple no. Which is ok; I just like blunt anwsers sometimes.
:D

nick.stumpos
20th November 2006, 01:52 AM
no mine sets it up to use all the codecs so wmv *should* work

DGF
20th November 2006, 03:16 AM
That was in relation to foolish, not you Nick.

*should* sounds nice and all, but I get the impression you haven't actually seen how well it works for yourself...

I suppose I could try it out and give you guys a heads up on how it works in comparison to xine.