PDA

View Full Version : How to record streaming audio?

vasim98
18th November 2006, 04:16 PM
Hi all
I am using Fedora Core 5. I want to record some internet streaming audio played on Real player 10 in real time. Which software can I use to record such audio output from the sound card?

Thanks
Waseem

glennzo
18th November 2006, 04:36 PM
Not sure about Real Player, but I have used Streamtuner to play streaming audio and Streamripper to record to disk.

ryptyde
18th November 2006, 06:43 PM
Not sure about Real Player, but I have used Streamtuner to play streaming audio and Streamripper to record to disk.

That combo works for me also. :)

vasim98
20th November 2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks Alot
I have succeeded recording the audio stream via VLC media Player.

Another problem I am facing...... I want to convert a .rm (real media) video file into avi or mpg. I have tried it using "ffmpeg" and "transcode" in the output file but perhaps I could not properly use the command line options. HAd anybody tried rm->avi conversion??? Plz let me me know any specefic command line options to be used with "transcode" or "ffmpeg"

vasim98
25th November 2006, 12:09 AM
Hello
I have installed streamtuner and streamrippers. I am facing problem. The Beep Media Player came with streamtuner is not working. When I click some stream, it opens for an instant and then terminates. I have executed Beep Player individually, n it's not working for local files too. It says something about setting plugins. How can I correct it??? and how can I change the path of the command to execute Beep media Player from streamripper "Preferences" dialogue box? In this way I can give path of some other media player.

Thanks

ryptyde
25th November 2006, 02:50 AM
vasim98:

how can I change the path of the command to execute Beep media Player from streamripper "Preferences" dialogue box? In this way I can give path of some other media player.
open the preference dialogue box and select the stream you want to have your media player open eg:
under the heading Action "Listen to a stream" then under the heading Command " your-media-player %q"

Mine is set up for "Action "Listen to a stream" then under the heading Command "xmms %q" and I have set it up as: "Action "Listen to a stream" then under the heading Command "vlc %q".
Just select the command eg "vlc" and change it to eg "xmms" but make sure the " %q " stays and has a space between it and the command.

I'm not sure how it would be for the Beep Media player, the command could be something like "bmp %q" or "beep-media-player %q" or "bmpx %q" or "bmp-xmms %q"

vasim98
25th November 2006, 12:36 PM
I see that in Preference Dialogue Box->Applications, the fields under the heading "Action" and "Command" are not editable. You tell that you have changed a field "Listen to a stream" from Command "xmms %q" to "vlc %q". I am surprised how you did it, while it seems to me uneditable here.

Is thereAny other way to change it by going into some file these fields.

Thanks

ryptyde
25th November 2006, 03:29 PM
You tell that you have changed a field "Listen to a stream" from Command "xmms %q" to "vlc %q". I am surprised how you did it, while it seems to me uneditable here.

Is thereAny other way to change it by going into some file these fields.

Thanks

Click on the area in the command section eg: "vlc %q" and it should highlight then click again and the "vlc %q" will just be highlighted then click again to edit.

I just happened to think that it may be a possibility you don't have the "streamtuner-devel" package installed?
# yum install streamtuner-devel

Here's an image I just put together to illustrate what I do. Click on thumnail for larger image.
http://www.onlinephotographers.com/gallery/albums/Pixels-Galore/strmtuner.thumb.jpg (http://www.onlinephotographers.com/gallery/albums/Pixels-Galore/strmtuner.jpg)

!

vasim98
25th November 2006, 07:47 PM
Oh man!!! It was such a little job!!! Now I clicked "over the text" of the command to edit it :) Thanks Alot dear.

ryptyde
25th November 2006, 10:34 PM
Glad you got it sorted. :)