PDA

View Full Version : Compiling Tarballs, Devel RPMs?

kpedersen
18th November 2006, 12:47 PM
Hello,

Because I frequently have to compile .tar files containing source code I really need to know how :p

I used to use Fedora Core 3 which seemed to work a treat I just do...
./configure
make
make install

and then it all worked. Unfortunately I made a switch to Fedora Core 6 due to its extended hardware support and I am no longer able to do it. Is Fedora Core 6 missing something in the default install. Something about devel rpms or kernel headers?

In short, how to I compile from source? What stuff do I need? Where to get it from the FC6 CD?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance,

Karsten.

beer_hunter
18th November 2006, 12:54 PM
you need devel rpms, to compile use ./configure , make, make install. if u r missing a package configure script should say that, then just look for devel and install it, then configure again. if error appears when building package it means that script is not compatible with FC6 packages (too old etc.) or its not compatible with your gcc version.

kpedersen
18th November 2006, 12:57 PM
I can use ./configure,make,make install but it usually comes up with an error along the lines... usually error 1 at the end of make

Does this mean that I have the devel RPMs already?

martin.sourada
18th November 2006, 04:22 PM
I can use ./configure,make,make install but it usually comes up with an error along the lines... usually error 1 at the end of make

Does this mean that I have the devel RPMs already?

Scroll up and find first error (from beginning, not from end) in the output. Post it here from the error to the end. Which program are you trying to build?

nick.stumpos
18th November 2006, 04:27 PM
yeah if this is happening with everything you try to compile
yum groupinstall developmental-tools

foolish
18th November 2006, 04:28 PM
Compiling from source tarballs is so 1996. In general, source tarballs are for developers and packagers only these days. Use binary rpms when available, your life will be better.

Because most people don't need to compile stuff from source, the parts of software needed only for that purpose doesn't need to be installed either. This is why most packages are separated into normal and -devel packages. The parts needed for building stuff from source, IE: only needed by developers, are in the -devel packages.

When you are compiling stuff from source you have to manually get all the dependencies of the software you are installing, this is usually done by trial and error untill you get it right, and you have to install the -devel rpm packages of the dependencies by using yum.

At this point you should realise just installing the binary rpms from yum is easier, so always do that if the software is available.