PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Effects Toolbars Gone!

smithxi
18th November 2006, 08:35 AM
i uninstalled kde from the add/remove software and went back to gnome and all my toolbars and window boarders were gone so that i couldn't move windows and i couldn't close them or minimize them, etc. I remember kde removing something that i though, shoot i might need to reinstall that, but now i can't recall what that was. does anyone have any ideas?

wesamel
18th November 2006, 10:28 AM
Try uninstalling compiz, deleting the .compiz folder in your home directory, and then reinstalling it. It worked for me.

cgrant
18th November 2006, 10:44 AM
Whilst this is slightly off topic, when I emoved kde I lost my printing in Gnome. I got round it by re-installing kde but that seems a bit extreme. :confused:

So, as I said, slightly off topic, but related doe to the link with removing kde.

Any ideas - how can I remove kde and leave printing in place?

Colin

smithxi
18th November 2006, 12:01 PM
reinstalling didn't fix for me, but do i need to be root to do what he suggests, because the .compiz folder isn't there as user

I like pie
6th September 2007, 07:44 AM
i've got this same exact problem. i uninstalled compiz and reinstalled it

there is no .compiz folder in the home directory

when i try compiz-manager & in terminal, it tells me there's no such command. when i do compiz --replace, my window borders and system tray/toolbars disappear and the terminal says this:

[root@localhost Vince]# compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Warn: SmcOpenConnection failed: Authentication Rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texure_from_pixmap i missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No mangeable screens found on display :0.0

---

It's not frozen, so I can still use terminal so I try beryl-manager & and I get some terminal output and then it freezes on me and I have to hard reboot.

I'm on an HP dv2500 laptop, video card is intel x3100.

gonna play around with this some more but if anybody can help me i would REALLY, really appreciate it. this is driving me nuts :(

----

edit: after the hard reboot, I tried compiz --replace in terminal again and only lost my bottom tray and window borders. the first time i lost the top one too. also, this time I didn't get the "SmcOpenConnection failed" warning.

leigh123linux
6th September 2007, 07:48 AM
Posting on the end of a year old thread is unlikey to get you any help, try starting a new thread!!

I like pie
6th September 2007, 07:49 AM
I figured the opposite =/ I found this via searching, figured no use creating duplicate topics

leigh123linux
6th September 2007, 07:56 AM
I figured the opposite =/ I found this via searching, figured no use creating duplicate topics

Well considering that you have a 3D graphics card driver problem with your intel card this post doesn't even seem that relevant to yours . ;)

I like pie
6th September 2007, 08:13 AM
Oh believe me, I'm sure there's some common issues here :( I've been hopping around google all day, trying my best to at least solidly duplicate somebody else's problem. I've had a few "successes", this being the only one that at least gives me some error output to help me ask for help.

The default fc7 desktop effects freeze my machine, as does the beryl installation you can get via the package manager. And now this.

It was a very winding path that led me here. I didn't find this thread on accident. If nothing else I'm just asking for an explanation of that error so I can google for another several hours looking for some solution to this madness.

leigh123linux
6th September 2007, 08:41 AM
Oh believe me, I'm sure there's some common issues here :( I've been hopping around google all day, trying my best to at least solidly duplicate somebody else's problem. I've had a few "successes", this being the only one that at least gives me some error output to help me ask for help.

The default fc7 desktop effects freeze my machine, as does the beryl installation you can get via the package manager. And now this.

It was a very winding path that led me here. I didn't find this thread on accident. If nothing else I'm just asking for an explanation of that error so I can google for another several hours looking for some solution to this madness.

try these posts as well

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165305

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159056&page=30&pp=10

look at the error on post # 294

I like pie
6th September 2007, 08:52 AM
thank you. i'll have a look in the morning, my brain is about dead right now :x

*shakes hands in frustration

computers, gotta love em :D