PDA

View Full Version : What you have found missing in your favourite Desktop

subratabera
17th November 2006, 05:27 PM
Most of us are not happy with the default desktop installation of any Linux Distro we use. That's why we install utilities to make the system just work as we want. It may be an application, utility, game, theme, changing default configuration and anything you do to make the system according to your taste. I am starting this thread to share such tweaks so that we all can benefit from each others experience. I hope all forum members contribute their tips here...
(Please do not include common tweaks like installing FLASH, JAVA, MP3 support etc.)

Let me start first with my preferred utilities...

StarDict (stardict.sourceforge.net)
hwbrowser (Gnome)
kchmviewer (KDE)
Opera (www.opera.com)
EasyTag (Gnome)
KLIK (http://klik.atekon.de/)

So, start sharing...

(I applogize for my poor English)

Dan
17th November 2006, 05:54 PM
Morning subratabera

I'd say the biggest "must do" tweak for my destop is the location, content and autohide qualities of my Gnome panels. I like a minimum of icons on the desktop, so my launchers get moved to the panels. Then I autohide the panels to get them out of the way. But, like most of us, I'm terribly impatient, and not willing to wait the default half second for those panels to hide and unhide.

Therefore, I use the Applications>System Tools>Configuratio Editor>apps>panels to tweak the speeds and hidden widths of my panels and the drawers on them. However, in order to make this work, you must do each panel/drawer individually in "top Levels" and then in the "general" section as well.

A caveat! The Configuration Editor is a very powerful tool, and changes take effect immediately, so use with care. Casual experimentation may have unplanned and unwanted consequences.

Dan

EDIT: BTW, the tweak values I use are... unhide delay=0, hide delay=10, hidden size=1

EDIT2: I also occassionally tweak desktop icons to look like integrated elements of the desktop art.

Example: http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2660&c
In this example, the starship is the "Computer" icon, and the ship's reflection is the "dan's home" icon.

To change an icon, just right click it>select properties>click the icon illustration>drill down and select the graphic of your choice. To re-size it, right click it again>stretch icon.

D.

subratabera
17th November 2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks TangledWeb for sharing your tweaks. I hope more forum members will share their valuable tips soon...

JN4OldSchool
17th November 2006, 06:07 PM
well, first thing I do is get my wallpaper and theme in order. Since I have a seperate /home this goes with me anyway. I like a /home icon on the desktop along with a few (very few) others. I like a smaller panel on the bottom (I use KDE) with no others. I dont see the need for the desktop quick browser at all. I like the clock in am/pm form in bigger typeface (16 I think) and I like bright blue. Then I go into my Kmenu and reorganize that. Thats really about it. I dont use any docker programs or any widgets at all. I am into simple/functional but not boreing and spartan. Of course I do have AIGLZ-Compiz/Beryl enabled and love that. I recomend Beryl for those only running Compiz at this point. It adds so much more and is installed and configured in seconds.

hermione
17th November 2006, 09:11 PM
Great thread :cool:

Erm, first thing for me is to change the wallpaper to something dark and mystical. Configure the Gnome bar (I like mine transparent) and I totally re-arrange all the icons. Atm I have my CPU tempreture (a must as I'm running on a laptop), CPU load, Time, Gnome Menu, Window Switch bar, Panel FM (awesome icon where you can access all your homes folders) and Deskbar. Deskbar is my fav applet for the gnome bar. All my dailey cmds are stored in the history and I simply select them from the drop down menu. This is pretty much like the command line applet, only more action packed!!

Desktop - Nothing! I like mine totally blank with no icons unless I can be bothered to set up gDesklets and get it looking groovy.

nick.stumpos
17th November 2006, 09:20 PM
Morning subratabera

I'd say the biggest "must do" tweak for my destop is the location, content and autohide qualities of my Gnome panels. I like a minimum of icons on the desktop, so my launchers get moved to the panels. Then I autohide the panels to get them out of the way. But, like most of us, I'm terribly impatient, and not willing to wait the default half second for those panels to hide and unhide.

Therefore, I use the Applications>System Tools>Configuratio Editor>apps>panels to tweak the speeds and hidden widths of my panels and the drawers on them. However, in order to make this work, you must do each panel/drawer individually in "top Levels" and then in the "general" section as well.

A caveat! The Configuration Editor is a very powerful tool, and changes take effect immediately, so use with care. Casual experimentation may have unplanned and unwanted consequences.

Dan

EDIT: BTW, the tweak values I use are... unhide delay=0, hide delay=10, hidden size=1

EDIT2: I also occassionally tweak desktop icons to look like integrated elements of the desktop art.

Example: http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2660&c
In this example, the starship is the "Computer" icon, and the ship's reflection is the "dan's home" icon.

To change an icon, just right click it>select properties>click the icon illustration>drill down and select the graphic of your choice. To re-size it, right click it again>stretch icon.

D.
dan i do the same thing as well as making them transparent, but is there anyway to hide it down to 0 pix ive never been able to hide that last pixel, and the thin line above my window bugs me. windows has been able to completely hide a panel since 95, so there has got to be a way to do this

Dan
17th November 2006, 09:33 PM
dan i do the same thing as well as making them transparent, but is there anyway to hide it down to 0 pix ive never been able to hide that last pixel, and the thin line above my window bugs me. windows has been able to completely hide a panel since 95, so there has got to be a way to do this Hmmm. Never tried to get rid of the last pixel. I assume you've tried using a negative value?

Dan

nick.stumpos
17th November 2006, 09:35 PM
yup that along with 0 are a no go, this has bugged me since i found out how to hide them more then 6 pixels in fc3

Dan
17th November 2006, 09:38 PM
Let me think about that for a while, I've got to go break down some concrete forms. Back in a few hours.

Dan

geniux
17th November 2006, 10:04 PM
I change my Gnome panel to fit my needs with some monitors, CPU - network etc, some starters. Can't do it without this "small" features :D
Some applications I can't do without is:

The Gimp
GQView
Audacity
GConf Editor

I also have some Firefox extensions I need, gmail-notifier and forecastfox are two of the most used

subratabera
18th November 2006, 07:19 AM
Thankyou all for sharing your experience. This will help most of us by knowing each other's desktop preferences.

I am also in search of a system-wide spell checker, which can check spelling as I type in any application. If anyone has found & configured something like that, then please post the process.

Keep posting...

nick.stumpos
18th November 2006, 07:45 AM
ok aside from my other post, the first things i do on any new install is to remove the three menu format in gnome and replace it to one, install several programs i use that i have written myself, do a custom xorg.conf, install xine mplayer and the codecs as well as several other firefox plugins, change the background, install e17 from source and fluxbox(im about 25 percent in gnome, e17, fluxbox and the other 25 percent in a vt) set inittab to boot init 3, disable all unneeded services, install some firefox extensions(most notable web developer, adblock and the thing that puts downloads in a statusbar) recompile the kernel for only what i need, and several other things that i cant thing of right now. mostly because of diffenert hardware on different boxes

microchip
18th November 2006, 03:18 PM
I don't miss anything at the moment on FC6 but what I would like to see more is better integration/support of KDE in future releases of Fedora

jimj_wpg
18th November 2006, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see an actual "desktop-printing" icon like the one we used to have in OS/2 Warp. I really miss that.

http://www.tmt.com/helphtml/images/printer.gif

That said, I'd like to see OS/2 Workplace Shell technologies like Extended Attributes, tabbed based settings notebooks.

http://w3.ag.uiuc.edu/OS2/animate.jpg

... and stuff like that to make my Linux more like OS/2 WPS.

kpearsonxyz
24th November 2006, 04:15 AM
I use XFCE and it has a drag and drop printing icon on the menu. I no longer hide my menus because I glance to check time, what's running (I'm senile and have to know what I started) and the status of WiFi, whether I'm logged in, busy or offline with Kopete.

What I'd love to find out, is what actually is running for both gnome and KDE desktop sharing. I'd like to start up the same, low-footprint daemon to use vncviewer myhost:0 rather than ssh/vncserver and connecting to :1-9

Any ideas on that one?