PDA

View Full Version : How many computers can be connected to a FC6 computer?

mkj4
17th November 2006, 03:39 PM
Is there any limitations? And if, where are these settings?

BR mkj4(newbie who dont want to buy win server to my work)

icy-flame
17th November 2006, 08:02 PM
if you dont know that much, perhaps you should learn more about networking and linux first before managing the server.

Dan
17th November 2006, 08:32 PM
Hmmm. mkj4,

This should help as a place to start.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/admin-primer/

It is for RH9, but the principles are the same.

Regarding your direct question, I don't really know. However, I know it's a damn sight more than the default 5 machines one is allowed in Win XP home! Perhaps the reading material at this link will answer some of those questions. I'd imagine someone else who does know will be along directly. :)

Hope it helps

Dan

LinuxManMikeC
17th November 2006, 09:09 PM
I am not sure about this, but it should be virtually unlimited. Now you are liimited based on how much RAM and CPU power you have, as well as your network connection speed. You could also be potentially limited depending on what server software your users are connecting too and how that software keeps track of connections. But you should be able to reach somewhere in the neighborhood of hundreds of connections at minimum. Beats the snott outa Windows Server, doesn't it?

mkj4
17th November 2006, 09:24 PM
I dont think I need to know so much....I can install a FC6 ....and only need to configure SAMBA

this "server" only share music on our local network on my work....and today I have about 5 firewire HDD's on a Win XP Pro ...and sometimes when more than 10 users want to connect it refuses more than that amount of connections.....

So thats why I wondered if there is any limit set on FC6

BR

mkj4
17th November 2006, 09:27 PM
This should help as a place to start.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/admin-primer/

It is for RH9, but the principles are the same.

Thnx! Think it's much good reading there!

nick.stumpos
17th November 2006, 09:27 PM
linux can handle alot more then 10 so you should be fine

LinuxManMikeC
17th November 2006, 09:31 PM
this "server" only share music on our local network on my work....and today I have about 5 firewire HDD's on a Win XP Pro ...and sometimes when more than 10 users want to connect it refuses more than that amount of connections.....
That's because M$ is a money grubbing beast. They code in those limitations so you have buy Windows Server 2003 and buy more Client Access Licenses. No such limitations in Linux my friend. Feel free to go frolick in a flowery meadow now. :D