PDA

View Full Version : GRUB text size

Zombie8
17th November 2006, 03:48 AM
I ran a live cd of knoppix a few weaks back and noticed that when the live cd is installing the typical "loading screen type" information was in a smaller, cleaner, easier to read text which made reading what services and devices were being found and started quite easy to read at a glance. I would like to modify the way the text appears on my screen during this boot up process. My question to you fedora/linux guru's out there would be; "Can i accomplish this by modifying a setting in grub? Or is this a kernel option that i will have to set and recompile?" I feel that this would be beneficial for debugging purposes in the future. Although i am a linux novice, this might be a good learning experience for me as well, learning how the fedora os boots.

Thanks ahead of time for all posts to my question!

ljos
17th November 2006, 06:24 AM
I don't know that you can change the text size but you can customize the text color, background color, and splash image. Changes are made to the file /boot/grub/grub.conf.

ljos
17th November 2006, 06:26 AM
OK I think you don't really mean grub. grub is just the boot loader menu not the boot messages. Don't know how to customize that.

Zombie8
17th November 2006, 06:12 PM
ljos,

I think your correct. I do mean the boot messages and not the boot loader. I wasn;t sure what to call the time between the grub boot loader and when i login to my desktop.

Dan
17th November 2006, 06:53 PM
I believe that font is called latacyrheb-sun16.

However, I have no clue how to change it!

This page may help.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-11559.html

Dan

homey
17th November 2006, 08:58 PM
I would like to modify the way the text appears on my screen during this boot up process.
What I think you are referring to is controlled by vga=791 .
So, my grub entry looks like this...

title KNOPPIX
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/sda2 lang=us
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

Zombie8
18th November 2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the post tangledweb. I read your pasted link and it gave me some good direction on where to find this stuff. Unfortunately i am unable to save any changes made to the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file, the only reason i can think of is for the system is using it when i would like to save it to that folder. So i have no tried this out yet, but I will try and keep everyone posted if i get this to work.

Dan
18th November 2006, 06:39 AM
OK. Glad to help, but I think Homey has a nice fast and dirty solution there. Worth a try anyway!

Dan

nick.stumpos
18th November 2006, 06:44 AM
to take page from dans book in another thread, you could use a live cd and then edit the file, this way you guarentee the system wouldnt be using it

Zombie8
18th November 2006, 04:54 PM
Nickisgod1,

I don;t quite understand what you mean by

"use a live cd and then edit the file, this way you gaurentee the system wouldn't be using it."

Considering its a live cd, how am i suppose to modify the appropriate file? I thought live cds are basically unchangable? What loads up is what will always load up because your booting/running from a cd right? I honestly do not know much about live cd's at all. My experience was booting up that knoppix cd twice and that was it.

nick.stumpos
18th November 2006, 04:56 PM
yes but once you boot the live cd, you can mount the drive of your fedora instalation, and change the file in fedora, fedora wont be using it because it is not running

Zombie8
18th November 2006, 05:33 PM
Ohh gotcha, your pretty crafty. Thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try when i get home tonight.