PDA

View Full Version : Is gDesklets dead?

BandC
16th November 2006, 07:57 PM
I used to use gDesklets on FC4 but I stopped doing so for a while. Last night, I installed gDesklets from Extras on my FC6 and went to look for gDesklets as usual. I noticed the official gDesklets site isn't available anymore and points to some commercial site. I found a site that hosts the "old" gDesklets as an archive. So, is the gDesklets project dead? Where do you get your gDesklets?

cgrant
16th November 2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.gdesklets.org/

BandC
16th November 2006, 08:38 PM
Huh? I feel kinda stupid. :) It is weird though. I did a Google search last night and the first site that came up (which looked like a link to gDesklets) took me to a blank page with a link to a commercial Linux company. Maybe they changed / fixed it overnight. In any case, the site doesn't feel like it has all the old gDesklets. Thanks.

Iron_Mike
17th November 2006, 03:23 AM
Here is a link to the unofficial site that has alot of the desklets

http://gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/

iamroot
17th November 2006, 01:25 PM
It's weird but gDesklets seems to be pretty dead as compared to superkaramba.

cgrant
17th November 2006, 01:31 PM
Agreed, but I'm no great fan of Superkaramba either as it has to be manually started each session. Even Vista can manage better than that :-)

bob
17th November 2006, 01:48 PM
Actually, I find just the opposite. If I'm in KDE and leave Superkaramba running when I shut down, it's there for the next boot; but gdesklets die every night and have to be restarted by me every boot. (Probably is a switch for that - haven't bothered to look yet).

iamroot
17th November 2006, 01:58 PM
I put gDesklets in Sessions under Startup Programs. Then gDesklets will start when you log-in. It worked okay for me but doesnt seem to work once I switched over to fc6. Weird.

niko123456
17th November 2006, 02:01 PM
ln /usr/bin/superkaramba .kde/Autostart

cgrant
17th November 2006, 02:03 PM
Actually, I find just the opposite. If I'm in KDE and leave Superkaramba running when I shut down, it's there for the next boot; but gdesklets die every night and have to be restarted by me every boot. (Probably is a switch for that - haven't bothered to look yet).

That imo is a fudge though and is not a real autostart. Anyway does doing that actually auto-start the dektop items or does it just put the Superkaramba icon in your quick start tray?

bob
17th November 2006, 02:12 PM
Haven't gone into KDE since FC-6 but in any other version, just leaving it open reopened it. For instance, I had a weather monitor on my desk and it automatically opened and functioned. Same thing with system monitor. Since I left both running constantly, 'fudging' was fine by me.

cgrant
17th November 2006, 02:40 PM
Its good that you are happy. Linux is about choice:-)