PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD-RW drive mounting probs

alx
16th April 2004, 10:16 AM
Fedora installed fine from CD, but whenever I insert a CD into the drive, the light on it flickers like crazy and attempting to mount it gives an error about "bad superblocks" or something (I think it's the same error I got later, but with /dev/cdrom)

BTW the drive light flickering appears to have nothing with automount (I've tried disabling it).

On another thread, someone suggested changing the entry in Fstab from "/dev/cdrom" to "dev/scd0" and removing "ro" - i did that and the drive light problem appeared to stop, but still no luck. I restated and it's just as it was before:

mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
or too many mounted file systems

Any ideas? BTW I'm not a complete Linux newbie, but I don't know too much either:D

SuperNu
16th April 2004, 03:55 PM
There should be a / in front of dev/scd0. I would have to say that your problem lies in your /etc/fstab. If you could post your contents of /etc/fstab, it would be beneficial. Also, I beleive that the filesystem type for a cdrom would be iso9660.

--SN

alx
16th April 2004, 04:05 PM
There should be a / in front of dev/scd0

Whoops - typo :p

Also, I beleive that the filesystem type for a cdrom would be iso9660.

That's what I had to begin with, then I read this in the man page for mount:

udf is the "Universal Disk Format" filesystem defined by the Optical
Storage Technology Association, and is often used for DVD-ROM. See
also iso9660.

It hasn't changed the problem at all, though.

If you could post your contents of /etc/fstab, it would be beneficial.

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs users,owner,ro,umask=02222 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

alx
16th April 2004, 07:26 PM
Turns out that the drive only flashes the light constantly in KDE (it starts just as KDE has nearly finished loading). It still gives the same error under GNOME though, about bad superblock/wrong FS type/too many things mounted/bad option.

SuperNu
16th April 2004, 08:15 PM
Is your dvd/cdrom drive IDE or SCSI? I believe that IDE drives would be on a different device under /dev. I only have SCSI drives, so /dev/scd0 would be correct for my drives. I think that IDE dvd/cdrom drives would be under /dev/hda, /dev/hdb and so forth. You could try changing udf,iso9660 to auto and see if that helps. If you have an IDE drive, is it the primary or secondary device and which IDE channel is it located? Also, this would happen to be a data cd and not a music cd, right? I know that if you try to mount a music cd, you will get the wrong filetype/bad superblock error message under KDE. Also, check out ls -l /dev/cdrom and see where it is pointing to.

--SN

alx
16th April 2004, 08:30 PM
Is your dvd/cdrom drive IDE or SCSI?

IDE

I think that IDE dvd/cdrom drives would be under /dev/hda, /dev/hdb and so forth.

I've tried those and it just complains a lot - when I try "mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660" the drive makes a noise and lights up and then stops, so I guess that that's the right device (/dev/cdrom does the same)

You could try changing udf,iso9660 to auto and see if that helps.

I get this:

mount /mnt/cdrom
/dev/scd0: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/scd0: Input/output error
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

this would happen to be a data cd and not a music cd, right?

I've tried DVDs and data CDs.

check out ls -l /dev/cdrom and see where it is pointing to.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 15 19:44 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

SuperNu
16th April 2004, 08:49 PM
Are you using ATAPI-SCSI emulation? I haven't played around with that, so I am not sure what problems might arise.

--SN

alx
16th April 2004, 09:24 PM
]Are you using ATAPI-SCSI emulation?

No idea ;) How would I check?

SuperNu
18th April 2004, 01:55 AM
You would have to look at /boot/grub/grub.conf to see if you are using scsi emulation. It would be on the kernel line and say hdc=ide-scsi. I haven't used scsi emulation, so I cannot really help you out with it.

--SN

alx
18th April 2004, 09:14 AM
Here's the line:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb

BTW I have had a seperate problem, where a little 200Mb hard drive I've got installed appears to have an invalid partition table, and the kernel has to wait for a while then timeout whilst booting. I doubt that it's linked though, as it did the same whilst installing Fedora, when the CD worked, and when I had Slackware installed.

poulsed
5th May 2004, 09:27 PM
What type of CD are you trying to mount?

alx
5th May 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by poulsed
What type of CD are you trying to mount?

Data CDs and data DVDs - I know they work since the only way I've been able to acccess them is to load windoze, copy the files, and access them from the ntfs partition:(