PDA

View Full Version : How to fix broken packages using Yum

Deb
11th November 2006, 06:07 PM
I used to fix broken packages easily using apt/synaptic but have no clue how to do it in yum/yumex.

I did not read (http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html) before loading Acrobat reader now after doing "rpm -e" there is still Adobe acrobat lingering in Application> Office menu of gnome. Any help regarding this irritating leftover is also welcome.

ejket
11th November 2006, 06:18 PM
For what it's worth, I ended up with two menu entries for acroread after I installed it. I simply deleted one.

What happens when you click on it?

I know the adobe .bin installs to /usr/local/Adobe, and the adobe rpm (which I'm assuming you used) likely does the same. Is there anything there?

bob
11th November 2006, 06:29 PM
Deb, Apt & Synaptic are both available for FC & will fix the broken packages for you. Just install with yum and then run as usual.

Deb
11th November 2006, 06:59 PM
ejket, there were 2 icons for me as well. when i clicked on any one of them nothing happened, when i run acroread from terminal got back a never ending list of Syntax error: I think a solution is there in mjmwired's page i am yet to try it. btw how could you delete one of the acrobat icon from the menu? I could not do it by simply rightclicking on it. after rpm -e of AdobeReader one is hanging there without any adobe image (understandable).

Bob, thanks for your reply- but is having yum and apt together is a good idea? I tried that once in FC2 with such nightmarish results that i afraid to tread that path again.

ejket
11th November 2006, 07:52 PM
ejket, there were 2 icons for me as well. when i clicked on any one of them nothing happened, when i run acroread from terminal got back a never ending list of Syntax error: I think a solution is there in mjmwired's page i am yet to try it.

That's the page I used, and all went well.

btw how could you delete one of the acrobat icon from the menu? I could not do it by simply rightclicking on it. after rpm -e of AdobeReader one is hanging there without any adobe image (understandable).

System -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Menu Layout

(I'm pretty new to gnome as well, but that worked for me.)

Deb
11th November 2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks ejket. that worked for removing the orphan icon and if you follow mjmwired's page for acrobat install it works like a charm. Now I have a list of issues with my Webcam, Xine etc but this thread is not for that. Does yum have this repair broken package utility or it is simply not there...