PDA

View Full Version : ISO writer

tradesman
11th November 2006, 01:27 PM
Hi not posted for a while been looking at trying FC 6 presently using FC5 downloaded a torrent file called
Zod-dvd-i386.torrent wrote the unpacked file to a dvd (so I thought) but PC will not boot from the dvd looks for boot record but keeps failing.

My question:- is there a specific utility for writing ISO files to disk and if so what.
Grateful for any pointers.

wwagner
11th November 2006, 01:42 PM
You have to open the torrent file with a bittorrent client (e.g. azureus) and download the iso image with it. Then use for instance kopete or another dvd burner application to burn a dvd...

kinematic
11th November 2006, 01:49 PM
like wwagner said.....you have to open the .torrent file with a bittorrent client like bittornado or azureus to start the download of the .iso image ;)

@wwagner
i've never had much luck writing an .iso image with a messenger client like kopete :p

tradesman
11th November 2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks for prompt replies guys still baffled have included a screenshot of my download for you to check

strikeforce
11th November 2006, 02:50 PM
You need to burn the iso file using whatever you like gnome-baker, standard or k3b

Once its finished downloading. Make sure you check the sha1sum

sha1sum -c SHA1SUM

wwagner
11th November 2006, 02:52 PM
Sorry guys. I mean k3b not kopete. :-) Thanks for correction

ryptyde
11th November 2006, 03:03 PM
I have used the "right click>Write to Disc..." or GnomeBaker with FC 5.

strikeforce
11th November 2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry then whats going on its not burning it?

tradesman
11th November 2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry then whats going on its not burning it?

It writes to a DVD ok but neither of my computers can boot from it get message searching for bootmanager then PC restarts and goes through the same routine again, should I try writing to another DVD and try that.

Brian1
11th November 2006, 03:46 PM
Never used Gnomebaker but are you buring an image to DVD or copying the file to the DVD. If you open the dvd does list many files or does it on list the iso file. If ISO file then you burned a data DVD and not an image DVD.

Brian

tradesman
11th November 2006, 04:13 PM
Strange thing the disk wont mount on my FC5 OS
tried it on my XP machine and have included a screenshot of whats on the disk

tradesman
11th November 2006, 04:22 PM
You need to burn the iso file using whatever you like gnome-baker, standard or k3b

Once its finished downloading. Make sure you check the sha1sum

sha1sum -c SHA1SUM

pasted that into console and got:- no such file or directory.

tradesman
11th November 2006, 04:54 PM
Looks like with all of your help I may have been succsessfull installed kb3 and opened the Iso with that burned the image to DVD successfully the disk now mounts ok am just going to try it in my dual boot machne and give it a whirl will post later my result.

Thanks guys for all your help.

tradesman
11th November 2006, 05:34 PM
Just booted from the disk and done media check checks ok at second attempt tthanks guys now all I have to do is sort my two hard drives the disk wants to install on the HD containing win XP thats the only drive that shows up during install for some reason.

markkuk
11th November 2006, 07:52 PM
In your first post you said that you unpacked the .iso file before burning. If you do that you will lose the boot code that's in the first sectors of the disc, outside of the filesystem. You must burn the disc directly from the .iso image.