PDA

View Full Version : Will I have to reinstall? Several problems starting up FC6 x_64

Mallgur
10th November 2006, 05:33 PM
Hi;

I'm a newbie, let me just let this be known at the start. Though I have several years experience in other OSs, Linux is kind of a new adventure to me.

I installed FC6 some days ago and had managed to get everything to work fine, except the wireless card on a Acer Aspire 5630.
Yesterday, I was going to boot up and got several hard disk errors, which I then let FC6 repair as it saw fit. Now I can't get the network to work correctly, the display has lost the 3D cool effects and some other things... basically, the system does manage to get to X but not in a good way.

I decided to make one interactive boot and let you know the problems that are reported, hoping that someone may help me. The first question is if there is a boot messages log anywhere and, if so, where can I find it?

So, here are the messages I can read:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/modules.dep: No such file or directory
/etc/rc5.d/S06cpuspeed: line 50:echo: write error: Invalid argument
/etc/rc5.d/S06cpuspeed: line 50:echo: write error: Invalid argument

Applying ip6tables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.3.5: iptables-restore: unable to initializetable 'filter'
Error occured at line: 3
Try 'ip6tables-restore -h' or 'ip6tables-restore --help' for more information.
[FAILED]
(This last one appears twice)

Checking for nvidia kernel module [FAILED]
nvidia.ko module for 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 kernel not found

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/modules.dep: No such file or directory
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

Bringing up interface eth0: b44 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. [FAILED]

Bringing up interface eth1: Device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization. [FAILED]
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/modules.dep: no such file or directory
CRITICAL : [ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with ipv6 support

Starting RPC idmapd: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Starting hidd: [FAILED]

Starting autofs: Loading autofs4: [FAILED]
[FAILED]

These are the messages that I mange to see whem doing an Interactive boot. Before this, I see many mentions of errors on udev rules, but I can't read them.

Any ideas what I should do now?
Is there anyway to re-install FC6 without formating the partition?

Thanks for any reply.

Dan
10th November 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Mallgur,

At first blush, I think your HDD is going south. Did you do a clean shutdown the last time you shut it off before the hosed-out boot?

Usually when you start getting a crop of "File not found" errors, either an unclean shutdown occurred, or the drive is hosed.

You could chase these errors for 5-10 hours, or spend an hour or so doing a clean re-install and update. Your choice.

In any event, the hard drive sounds defective to me. Replacements are available for under $100 bux. I'd be running a check on this one, while I was on the phone ordering a new one.

Dan

EDIT: On second thought, Let me be clear. I wouldn't trust that drive as far as I can sling the truck that delivered it!

Mallgur
10th November 2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks.

I gather from your reply that you would attempt a clean install, right?

I was considering this, too, but wanted to try and learn something from it, though. I did manage to find out where the log files are, though. Maybe I will stop at learning that and do the clean install... If there are no more replies I'll go that way for sure.

Thanks again...

Dan
10th November 2006, 07:34 PM
Yes. I would do a clean re-install. That way you'll end up with an good install in a known condition.

Dan