PDA

View Full Version : Compiling and installing with possibility of removing

Coolerthanyou
10th November 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm used to the debian way of checkinstall, but here on Fedora, is there an easy way to make installations of compiled software to be able to uninstall cleanly if necessary? Is making rpms the only way? If so, can you recommend an easy way?

giulix
10th November 2006, 02:56 PM
RPM's the way to go on Fedora...

bob
10th November 2006, 03:02 PM
Google has quite a few links under 'creating rpms' like this one: https://pmc.ucsc.edu/~dmk/notes/RPMs/Creating_RPMs.html

parish
10th November 2006, 05:55 PM
Most of the programs I have manually compiled and installed have an uninstall option built into the makefile so issuing the command make uninstall has worked for me. A quick look in a readme or the makefile itself should tell you if the option exists.

Of course cleanly is subject to interpretation, but uninstalling programs this way has yet to cause me a problem.

Daniel

Coolerthanyou
11th November 2006, 07:04 AM
Google has a lot of stuff. None of it yields for me something like the rpm version of the ass-kicking checkinstall. But that answers my question, thanks.

As far as doing the make uninstall. It would be a good way, but after it's done and I test the program, I usually delete the extracted source folders where it built - to avoid confusion. I usually wouldn't need to remove it until later.

GL1800
11th November 2006, 01:56 PM
I do have checkinstall, and use it all the time. I've been keeping up with the beagle project, and all the tarballs have been installed in that way. I am trying to remember where I got it, but here's what rpm -q yields.

checkinstall-1.6.0-3.fc5.rf

cgrant
11th November 2006, 01:58 PM
I used checkinstall on PCLinuxOS and that is an rpm based OS

Coolerthanyou
12th November 2006, 10:32 AM
No, I'm afraid checkinstall is a dud when it comes to FC6, which is what's to blame, but that doesn't help anyone. I tried to checkinstall the current Audacious, and the rpm created conflicted with other packages' files. i'm just glad those kind of kinks refuse to go through now, because that would certainly hose things. Anyway, I can't even get Audacious installed with make install. The player installs fine, but then running ./configure on the plugins source, it says Audacious is not installed, eventhough it is. Never saw this in other distros. *Kicks FC6*

cgrant
12th November 2006, 10:43 AM
Kick FC6? Have you tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu Edgy? Its not bad and it is a very fast install. What I do find, though, is that Fedora seem to be quite up to date with its packages and it is one of the few distros where I've found a workable version of Cinelerra.

On the other hand the make up of the Fedora repositories is a bit of a nightmare and yum (and especially yumex) is very slow. This is where Debian comes in - Synaptic and a solid network of repositories. Horses for courses I guess :)

Coolerthanyou
12th November 2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I knew that already. New stuff is what you get which is what makes Fedora a top distro, just have to get around the bugs. One of my partitions is already Ubuntu, and it's still on 6.06.1 and I don't plan to upgrade for a while. It's my backup OS.

Jongi
1st December 2006, 09:16 PM
So it's not worth installing checkinstall on FC6?

cgrant
2nd December 2006, 12:46 AM
I've got checkinstall just in case i need it.

Dies
2nd December 2006, 01:18 AM
No, I'm afraid checkinstall is a dud when it comes to FC6, which is what's to blame, but that doesn't help anyone. I tried to checkinstall the current Audacious, and the rpm created conflicted with other packages' files. i'm just glad those kind of kinks refuse to go through now, because that would certainly hose things. Anyway, I can't even get Audacious installed with make install. The player installs fine, but then running ./configure on the plugins source, it says Audacious is not installed, eventhough it is. Never saw this in other distros. *Kicks FC6*

Isn't Audacious in the repos? must be 'cause it's on my system.
I use it with streamtuner, works perfect.

But if you have to install from source then.....

edit - It's in the livna repo btw.

Jongi
4th December 2006, 09:33 PM
Tried to do a checkinstall on moodin and cdemu. cdemu had a md5sum error and the moodin build process failed.