PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD Burning Software

wallybeckster
9th November 2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder if someone could help? I looking for CD/DVD burning software that can burn an image on Linux like, Nero or Sonic does for Windows.

strikeforce
9th November 2006, 04:21 PM
gnome-baker or k3b depending on what you are using. Gnome = gnome-baker or gomebaker can't remember and kde = k3b

If you install the livna rpm you can add plugins to k3b.

k3b-plugins-extra nd k3b-plugins-nonfree I think.

rpm.livna.org

wallybeckster
9th November 2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the reply,,,,I have gnomebaker already installed,,just didn't know if it would burn an image.

strikeforce
9th November 2006, 04:35 PM
Under the tools menu

sentry
9th November 2006, 04:57 PM
Right click on an ISO and choose "Write to disc", I don't believe you even need gnome-baker or K3b for that one.

strikeforce
9th November 2006, 05:00 PM
I've never tried that :)

wallybeckster
9th November 2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks again, never too old to learn. I appreciate it.

martin.sourada
9th November 2006, 08:37 PM
Gnomebaker is good, but I would rather use brasero. I like it more and it has two backends to choose - cdrecord and libburn. You can try both and figure out what is better for you. Both of them is in extras. If you wish more info about brasero you can look at http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Brasero. Also it has one of the top ratings at gnomefiles.org.

But the fastest way is using nautilus. :) It is as easy as it can be. Images you burn just by right-clicking on them and selecting burn; other stuff you burn just with opening CD/DVD Creator from Places and moving all the stuff therein. Then click burn and you are set ;)

BandC
9th November 2006, 09:39 PM
I gave Brasero a try (I wanted to try libburn). I had two problems. First the loading of a file (about 70 MB) into the Brasero screen (list of files to be burned) was "very" slow. When that finally happened, I clicked "Burn" and it took forever just reading the file before it can even start burning. I waited for like 5-10 minutes and just canceled. Granted my computer was pretty busy when I tried this (many programs open) I still think there is something else wrong. Have you a problem like this with Brasero?

martin.sourada
9th November 2006, 10:58 PM
I gave Brasero a try (I wanted to try libburn). I had two problems. First the loading of a file (about 70 MB) into the Brasero screen (list of files to be burned) was "very" slow. When that finally happened, I clicked "Burn" and it took forever just reading the file before it can even start burning. I waited for like 5-10 minutes and just canceled. Granted my computer was pretty busy when I tried this (many programs open) I still think there is something else wrong. Have you a problem like this with Brasero?

I have not had such problem with brasero yet. Did you tried another versions?

pparks1
9th November 2006, 11:01 PM
I use K3B under Gnome with FC5 and FC6 and haven't had problems.

martin.sourada
9th November 2006, 11:05 PM
I use K3B under Gnome with FC5 and FC6 and haven't had problems.

I used k3b under gnome, and I can say it has quite a lot nice features and settings, but it is sloooow and eats a lot of cpu time (cpu usage is usually about 100% during burning). Brasero is, at least for me, a way faster and does not need much cpu time... And what more, k3b is kde app, while brasero and GnomeBaker are gnome apps...

pparks1
9th November 2006, 11:12 PM
I used k3b under gnome, and I can say it has quite a lot nice features and settings, but it is sloooow and eats a lot of cpu time

Hmmm, I've never noticed it being slow. Burns a 4.7GB DVD in about 8-9 minutes for me. Never watched the CPU time while a disc was burning.

martin.sourada
9th November 2006, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, I've never noticed it being slow. Burns a 4.7GB DVD in about 8-9 minutes for me. Never watched the CPU time while a disc was burning.

If you have slow machine then the burning slows down, on faster ones you are restricted only by the burner speed :D Still for me, even on the faster one, brasero behaves faster... And I must say that: rpm for brasero has about 1MB while the one for k3b is about ten times grater, but still a LOT smaller than nero :D But there is no arguing that k3b is the best burning app I have ever saw (objective point of view), but still I like brasero more, even from the first time I had the pleasure to test it (subjective point of view).