PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about KDE and GNOME (Not a Flame War)

Reisswolf
8th November 2006, 07:46 PM
1. What is the closest GNOME equivalent to Kate? It seems that there are no good code editors for GNOME. (In my opinion, I don't think Bluefish is quite there.)

2. Are there good KDE-based web browsers other than Konqueror? Gmail does not recognise Konqueror and reverts to the basic HTML view. I know I can use Firefox in KDE, but it does take forever to load; on the other hand, Konqueror loads pretty much instantly. Surely there is a good web browser native to KDE!

Thanks in advance for your help.

markkuk
9th November 2006, 12:15 AM
Gmail does not recognise Konqueror and reverts to the basic HTML view.
Have you tried changing the browser identification string in Konqueror? You can use different settings for different sites.

Wayne
9th November 2006, 12:20 AM
Have you tried Opera?

Wayne

rlozano
9th November 2006, 01:37 AM
1. What is the closest GNOME equivalent to Kate? It seems that there are no good code editors for GNOME. (In my opinion, I don't think Bluefish is quite there.)

have you tried gedit? it gives your color coding during your coding.

2. Are there good KDE-based web browsers other than Konqueror? Gmail does not recognise Konqueror and reverts to the basic HTML view. I know I can use Firefox in KDE, but it does take forever to load; on the other hand, Konqueror loads pretty much instantly. Surely there is a good web browser native to KDE!

in my case, i have never used konqueror as a web brower. i used it as a file manager and its very effective for that use. for web browsing, i have either FF, Opera or IE via wine.

Reisswolf
9th November 2006, 08:06 AM
have you tried gedit? it gives your color coding during your coding.

Most certainly I have tried gedit. It does have colour coding, but among the many features in Kate that it lacks is code folding. I have another problem with Kate. Often, I need to have a large number of files open. In Kate, the files are listed nicely in a pane on the left; when I want to view a particular file, I just click its name in that pane. In gedit (and most other code editors, to be fair to gedit) each file has its own tab at the top. But this often requires the user to "scroll" left or right through the list of tabs to get to a particular file. This is much slower than the Kate method and gets quite annoying after a while.

Moreover, Kate has a nicer look and feel about it (but this point is not absolutely crucial).

It's strange how the GNOME environment is not very developer friendly. KDE not only has Kate but also KDevelop, which is also very nice. Unfortunately, my computer at work only has GNOME.

Have you tried changing the browser identification string in Konqueror? You can use different settings for different sites.
Yep. That has no effect.

Have you tried Opera?
No, but maybe I should give it a shot. Is it also "geared towards GNOME," if you know what I mean?

Thanks for all your responses!

rlozano
9th November 2006, 09:04 AM
It's strange how the GNOME environment is not very developer friendly. KDE not only has Kate but also KDevelop, which is also very nice. Unfortunately, my computer at work only has GNOME.

even if you're in Gnome, you can still install these things and will just work perfectly. in my case particularly, i have Gnome in my desktop, by i have several KDE apps like konqueror, kopete, etc. and yeah, i agree with you that KDE has a better eye candy interface than Gnome, since they have a different set of objectives when developed.

hope we were able help in here... :D

icy-flame
9th November 2006, 09:56 AM
I found it easier to just stick with KDE. Since I dont see any significant overall performance difference between them, I dont even bother to have Gnome installed.

For these very useful app I use every day:
KSysGuard
KAlarm
KGet

I do use these once in a while:
Kate (I prefer Nedit or VIM for codes)
KPDF

markkuk
9th November 2006, 01:31 PM
Have you tried Opera?

No, but maybe I should give it a shot. Is it also "geared towards GNOME," if you know what I mean?

Opera is based on the Qt (http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt) toolkit, like the KDE desktop. If it were "geared towards GNOME" it would use GTK.

BandC
9th November 2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. I don't think Bluefish is quite there either. As a Gnome user, I use Quanta+ just because it's the best. Nothing to be ashamed of. :p As an alternative, you can try jEdit. Don't let Java scare you becasue it's a fast editor despite Java. To me jEdit is a close second to Quanta+. Then for GTK+ you can also try this light editor called Geany. It's pretty good and fast. Google for all of the above.

2. I can't offer much advice here besides Opera as others already mentioned above. I switch back and forth between Firefox, Opera, and Epiphany.

Reisswolf
9th November 2006, 09:43 PM
Opera is based on the Qt toolkit, like the KDE desktop. If it were "geared towards GNOME" it would use GTK.
I have downloaded Opera, and I am using it now. I like it quite a lot. But I thought I should mention something. Since I started Opera from the terminal (just as I do for every programme I call), I got the following messages:

[roy@localhost ~]$
(process:14026): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:14026): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);
So it would appear that Opera does use GTK+ after all. I have not got a single Qt-type message yet.

markkuk
9th November 2006, 10:59 PM
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);
So it would appear that Opera does use GTK+ after all. I have not got a single Qt-type message yet.
No, the message shows that the Flash plugin uses GTK. Try "rpm -q --requires opera" or "ldd /usr/lib/opera/9.02-20060919.6/opera", there are no dependencies on GTK or other Gnome libraries.