PDA

View Full Version : Ya gotta luv Linux..... random acts of violence

nanohead
6th November 2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I had a stable FC5 system since FC5's been out. I decided that heck, there's new FC6, Suse 10.1, Ubuntu 6.10, Kubuntu 6.10, Mandriva Free 2007, and some new Debian stuff. I'll see if I can "upgrade". See if one of these distros is sturdier, more robust, crisper than FC5.

All I can say is, don't do it. FC6 may be sturdier, but man is it moody. As for the others, Suse 10.1, could not get the display settings to work properly, right 1 inch of the screen missing after 10 CLEAN reinstalls, lots o' driver installs, monitor hacking, modeline hacks, xorg.conf hacks, etc. Finally got that to work, then I could not for the life of me get Firefox 2 to run properly, then when I did, it spawned links to the desktop that didn't work, and I couldn't delete them. Argh...

All the others had lots of issues. Ubuntu/Kubuntu could not get Samba to run for the life of my, and could not install software half the time. Mandriva was pretty, but nothing worked. Debian, well Debian requires a PhD and a knowledge of brain surgery to get it to run Gnome or KDE. Might use it as a replacement IMAP server, but not as a regular computer.

Once again, Fedora brings it home. But FC6 is still MOODY :eek:

Took 6 (maybe thats why its called FC6!) clean reinstalls to get it to work consistently. Once I could not get Gnome to run at all (yes, it was starting in Init 5). Once, I could not log in at all. Once, I could not log into ANY user accounts, just root. Once, I could not get the Nvidia drivers to work. And once, I had these ridiculous AGP aperture problems, even though I had a massive AGP aperture in BIOS.

But again, FC is the only one that seems to be able to be fixed most of the time.

b_martinez
6th November 2006, 03:58 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about that.
FC5 is great, still have it on my box.
FC6 is wonderful, single install,20 minutes tweaking to get deshktop-effects working,5 days learning about the [minimal] changes. [From my using it]
Mandriva was okay, but lasted 2 days, not my cup-of tea [mug-of-beer, truthfully]
Ubuntu 6.0 is still on my main box, learning it mainly to help a friend get into Linux. Works well
SUSE 10.1 was never tried, even their forum experts panned it, BUT 10.0 was really neat. Wrong flavor for me.
Debian isn't that hard to learn, just need to use Synaptics or KPackage for dependencies.
FC has been my primary since FC3, and I'll likely never change.
Bill

bob
6th November 2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry for all your problems! FC-6 has been running perfectly for me, but each machine is it's own little world. I hope you reported bugzillas on the problems so that the developers can make changes as needed. I installed Mandriva 2007 the other day, but not all that thrilled with it either. It's slick, to be sure, but the ads put me off and I'm not crazy about some of the features. I was going to replace Dapper Drake with Edgy Eft, but the installer has this nasty habit of wanting to format my FC-6 install, so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

One distro that I still love is PCLinuxOS, which has a lot to offer and installs with almost every necessary program in place and functioning. At the present time, updates are on hold until .94 is released and I'll be upgrading to that for sure.

And, as a final thought, when FC-5 came out there were weeks of complaints on that release too; in fact more than on FC-6. With the 'respins' in place, you might want to give it a month or two and then try FC-6 again with the latest respin. It might just work perfectly.... or not....

Dan
6th November 2006, 04:29 PM
I installed Mandriva 2007 the other day, but not all that thrilled with it either. It's slick, to be sure, but the ads put me off and I'm not crazy about some of the features. Mornin' Bob.

I was just about to DL Mandriva 2007. Now I wonder if I should waste the time. Care to explain a bit more about the "ads"?

Dan

nanohead
6th November 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys for commiserating.... Agreed on all points. FC still is the one that seems to be the most complete and least painful. Even though it took some reinstalls to get it right, it is still the one that is most consistent, even FC6.

Dan,

I agree with Bob's assesment of Mandriva too. It is beautiful, but you know what they say about a pretty face. There are some ads during install, I also felt that you could not do anything to it. Too many restrictions. Trying to out Windows Windows in a weird way. It was flashier than Ubuntu, but far more contrived (wow that's deep :) )

bob
6th November 2006, 04:52 PM
Dan, Nanohead's impressions match mine. The ads for commercial software during the install bothered me, but I guess you've got to pay for the give-aways some way. After install, the updater had problems and simply searching for a lib proved quite a task. Also, there's built-in links to joining Mandriva's club for a few bucks and some other promotional links. You can turn that off but it reminded me a bit of Freespire/Linspire - yes, it's free, but you get the feeling you're a second-class citizen if you don't pay the price.

Dan
6th November 2006, 06:04 PM
Aha. Ok. Thanks guys. I've always considered adware bad form and short sighted. Just crossed Mandriva 2007 off the to-do list. I appreciate the information.

Dan

sailor
6th November 2006, 06:25 PM
I just put FC6 on my desktop and it is running great with a few problems...the ananconda problem, so I only installed the "Office/Produtivity" selection and then update with yum, chg kernel to i686 to get kmod-nvidia to work, got livna repository to update plugins, video, mp3...etc. All in all a pretty easy install compared to others.
I still have PCLinuxOS(9.3a) on the desktop too...it works far too well to get rid of it...gotta go with Bob on that distro :) it does work quite well.

I think I am going to look at the latest Debian release and give it a try...I also have Slackware 11 burned and ready to go...:p

Dan
6th November 2006, 07:08 PM
Has anyone else tried elive-(unstable), and if so, whuddaya think of it? In your opinion, is it worth waiting for the next stable release?

Dan

b_martinez
10th November 2006, 04:57 AM
Has anyone else tried elive-(unstable), and if so, whuddaya think of it? In your opinion, is it worth waiting for the next stable release?

Dan
Yes, Dan,I've tried it, was really impressed, then I realized that I could get something as good if not better, simply by installing e17 on the FC6. :D It was a sweet little demo to help you convince a curious, yet reluctant, possible Linux convert. Or you could do as I do , and demo FC6 with desktop-effects and then help them pick their eyes up off the floor.
Bill

jazzyjerome
10th November 2006, 05:13 AM
Dan, Nanohead's impressions match mine. The ads for commercial software during the install bothered me, but I guess you've got to pay for the give-aways some way. After install, the updater had problems and simply searching for a lib proved quite a task. Also, there's built-in links to joining Mandriva's club for a few bucks and some other promotional links. You can turn that off but it reminded me a bit of Freespire/Linspire - yes, it's free, but you get the feeling you're a second-class citizen if you don't pay the price.
I got the same feeling last year when I was debatig between Fedora and Mandriva.

Dan
10th November 2006, 05:19 AM
...Or you could do as I do , and demo FC6 with desktop-effects and then help them pick their eyes up off the floor.
Bill Hi Bill!

Yeah. I've thought about installing e17 on FC6. It'd be a nice set of options to have. Compiz, or Enlightenment. I located an RPM for e17 under construction, but the guy isn't done with it yet.

BTW, if you get the chance, and have some high powered hardware, try the Looking Glass Live CD. Not terribly useful, yet. But it's a heck of a demonstration of what can be done. My desktop choked on it, but the new laptop loaded it right up.

Have you pulled the shorts and tshirts and suntan oil back out of storage? :)

Dan

b_martinez
10th November 2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Bill!

Yeah. I've thought about installing e17 on FC6. It'd be a nice set of options to have. Compiz, or Enlightenment. I located an RPM for e17 under construction, but the guy isn't done with it yet.

BTW, if you get the chance, and have some high powered hardware, try the Looking Glass Live CD. Not terribly useful, yet. But it's a heck of a demonstration of what can be done. My desktop choked on it, but the new laptop loaded it right up.

Have you pulled the shorts and tshirts and suntan oil back out of storage? :)

Dan

Dan, I'll try the Looking Glass Live CD. Thanks for the tip. I'm currently using an AMD64 3200+ ,have the nvidia MX400 8xAGP card, and run with 1.5 gig RAM, so I should be able to handle it. :D
My middle son swapped me his Gateway laptop for a desktop I had built. Since it's currently 'hosting' a rented OS, I'll most likely wipe the drive and install FC6. Looking forward to learning how to set up the ATI vid card for desktop-effects, but I'm so used to dual monitors that I will probably use it for goofing around rather than doing my photo editing and such.
As to the sun-tanning stuff, no. I'm working nights this week and next, so I'm sleeping during the best times to work off the office pallor. (big word there, hope it's the right one!)
Have you been enjoying this "Indian Summer"? Hope so, 'cuz we probably won't get another for a while.
Bill

Dan
10th November 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm working nights this week and next, so I'm sleeping during the best times to work off the office pallor. Oh yeah! Always hated graves. It's not so much the pasty white complextion as it is that perpetual, "Stupid all over" feeling that comes from being a round pupil critter trying to live in a slit pupil world!

I guess I spoke too soon about the WX. Cold here this morning. Looks like we'll be in the city tomorrow afternoon. Gotta get some meds and look for a new (used) truck! Any dealers I should avoid?

Dan

ejket
10th November 2006, 11:10 PM
Debian, well Debian requires a PhD and a knowledge of brain surgery to get it to run Gnome or KDE. Might use it as a replacement IMAP server, but not as a regular computer.

It's funny realizing that I've been using debian for several years and never had gnome or kde on it -- but that's because I was never interested in the big DE's until lately. I suppose I was corrupted when I recently tried xfce; now I've developed appetites for the big, fat, fancy stuff, heh.

I agree with the general opinion about suse: tried it recently and didn't like it at all. I'm trying ubuntu (edgy eft) and it's a bit weird and twitchy, but I haven't wiped it off (yet). Next install will be slack 11, and then I'm out of partitions again :)

As for FC6, I've only been using it a few days, but so far I like it a lot. I think I'll vote with my hd space and leave it on ...

KStorm
11th November 2006, 12:10 AM
Well, I had a stable FC5 system since FC5's been out. I decided that heck, there's new FC6, Suse 10.1, Ubuntu 6.10, Kubuntu 6.10, Mandriva Free 2007, and some new Debian stuff. I'll see if I can "upgrade". See if one of these distros is sturdier, more robust, crisper than FC5.

All I can say is, don't do it. FC6 may be sturdier, but man is it moody. As for the others, Suse 10.1, could not get the display settings to work properly, right 1 inch of the screen missing after 10 CLEAN reinstalls, lots o' driver installs, monitor hacking, modeline hacks, xorg.conf hacks, etc. Finally got that to work, then I could not for the life of me get Firefox 2 to run properly, then when I did, it spawned links to the desktop that didn't work, and I couldn't delete them. Argh...

All the others had lots of issues. Ubuntu/Kubuntu could not get Samba to run for the life of my, and could not install software half the time. Mandriva was pretty, but nothing worked. Debian, well Debian requires a PhD and a knowledge of brain surgery to get it to run Gnome or KDE. Might use it as a replacement IMAP server, but not as a regular computer.

Once again, Fedora brings it home. But FC6 is still MOODY :eek:

Took 6 (maybe thats why its called FC6!) clean reinstalls to get it to work consistently. Once I could not get Gnome to run at all (yes, it was starting in Init 5). Once, I could not log in at all. Once, I could not log into ANY user accounts, just root. Once, I could not get the Nvidia drivers to work. And once, I had these ridiculous AGP aperture problems, even though I had a massive AGP aperture in BIOS.

But again, FC is the only one that seems to be able to be fixed most of the time.I've installed it twice thus far...actually, three times. After the first install I kept getting a "grub stage 2" loop and couldn't even boot into FC6...the next time, I decided to let GRUB pick up only the WinXP partition (drive) and it ran fine until I enabled the FC6 development repos and installed the subsequent "updates", thereby hosing the install. The third time has been the charm thus far. No major issues other than what seems to be prevalent among other FC6 users (slow yum, etc).

b_martinez
11th November 2006, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah! Always hated graves. It's not so much the pasty white complextion as it is that perpetual, "Stupid all over" feeling that comes from being a round pupil critter trying to live in a slit pupil world!

I guess I spoke too soon about the WX. Cold here this morning. Looks like we'll be in the city tomorrow afternoon. Gotta get some meds and look for a new (used) truck! Any dealers I should avoid?

Dan

[QUOTE] Any dealers I should avoid? [END QUOTE]

None to avoid, although I have had good results from Spradley. Used -- I bought my wife a 96 Grand Am and it was a sweet deal. New -- Bought the same lady an 06 Mazda 3 for her birthday, and she still loves it. Had it 15 months now, the dealership is always ready to (quote) 'bring her in for a checkup' (end quote), but we just do the necessary dealer checks, and have her serviced at the "goofy loob" where a friend works.
My elder brother likes the Toyota dealership, has had great luck with them, and my eldest brother likes More-Skinny (Moreschini) for his used cars, or he used to, before he got a Spanking new 2005 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel. Now he doesn't even drive his 1978 Chevy short-bed anymore.
Hope you find a sweet deal. The Ford dealership on Hwy 50 west had a F250 diesel 4x4 long bed crew cab for $13,900 lat time I was there for parts. Maybe it's still around.
Good Luck, whichever way you go.
Bill

b_martinez
11th November 2006, 04:29 PM
It's funny realizing that I've been using debian for several years and never had gnome or kde on it -- but that's because I was never interested in the big DE's until lately. I suppose I was corrupted when I recently tried xfce; now I've developed appetites for the big, fat, fancy stuff, heh.

I agree with the general opinion about suse: tried it recently and didn't like it at all. I'm trying ubuntu (edgy eft) and it's a bit weird and twitchy, but I haven't wiped it off (yet). Next install will be slack 11, and then I'm out of partitions again :)

As for FC6, I've only been using it a few days, but so far I like it a lot. I think I'll vote with my hd space and leave it on ...

Hey,ejket,
if you don't mind a small suggestion, try Vector Linux. It's built on Slack 10.1 and currently being re-built to 11.0. If you like lightweight DE's the SOHO edition comes with XFCE, ICE-WM and Fluxbox and all of them have the ROX-FILER installed for eye-candy. The current testing is called 'Dynamite' but I cannot honestly tell you anything about it as I've not tried it. VL5.1 is a sweet distro that I use on a Gateway box, 433MHz PII,256MB ram,64MB Nvidia card, and a 10 Gig hdd. I use it to test lightweight distros, on old boxes, to have a 'selling' point for introducing people to Linux when they get a newer box and have no idea what to do with the old one. (It's worked a few times...)
Bill

Dan
11th November 2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks Bill!

We'll look these over today. BTW, I keep the 5.1 Vector Linux LiveCD too. Really handy on older gear, and VL-SOHO is plenty good enough for a portable kitchen sink distro to use in "borrowed" workstations in unfamiliar offices on the road.

Dan

ejket
11th November 2006, 05:52 PM
Hey,ejket,
if you don't mind a small suggestion, try Vector Linux. It's built on Slack 10.1 and currently being re-built to 11.0. If you like lightweight DE's the SOHO edition comes with XFCE, ICE-WM and Fluxbox and all of them have the ROX-FILER installed for eye-candy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I did briefly put Vector 5.0 on when a newbie at work was having problems with it, but I didn't really put it through its paces. It did look ok, though. I don't think I've ever seen rox-filer as a default on any distro, but it's an old favorite of mine: small and mighty, and attractive enough once you hunt down a nicer icon set :)

Arch is a nice, light distro as well, but they have the strange policy of excluding docs from packages, which irritated me too much. Otherwise, it was tight and fast with a nice package manager.

b_martinez
12th November 2006, 04:11 PM
Dan, if I recall correctly, Spradley had an ad for a $30,000.00 pick-up for around 23K, ya may wanna look at them. If your looking to spend in that area, it may pay to get a new one. They're Fords, if you're looking for a Ford pick-up. Just a suggestion.

ejket, I'll look into Arch, as I've seen it mentioned in articles and on one or two other fora. Who knows.... mebbe I'll like it. ;D
Bill