PDA

View Full Version : Bad Program, Keyboard Problems, Music Skipping...

mlissner
1st November 2006, 07:35 AM
I'm having some issues over here. My keyboard is doing a strange thing where it repeats the keys that I type, my music regularly skipping, my CPU maxes out every few seconds, and my computer just isn't itself (it crashed not two days ago - froze solid).

I posted a moment ago about my memory being gone (the computer's that is), but I've been convinced by SlowJet that that's not it. Digging deeper I found a couple of things. One, I discovered that my problems are VERY regular. If you look at this link (http://www.michaeljaylissner.com/Screenshot.png) , you'll see what I mean. When I am just watching the computer, every few seconds, the CPU usage jumps sky high, and the music skips.

If I watch "top" while this is happening, the program w1_bus_master seems to pop up around the same time as the spikes in the System Monitor...an interesting trend says I. Does anybody have any ideas what this program is? Killing it doesn't seem to work.

Also of relevance, I installed (via make install) a program, "owfs-2.5p5" the other day. I have a theory that it is the culprit, but I don't have confirmation. I'd be happy to uninstall it, but I'm not sure how considering I didn't install it using yum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the cross posting...

Dan
1st November 2006, 07:41 AM
Whoops! You may have already encountered the anacron and Beagle!

On the monitor you took the screen shot of, hit processes, click on the %CPU column header and watch for a minute or two. I'll bet you'll see AWK and GAWK running very regularly and eating CPU time. If so, you've just encountered Beagle. :p

Dan

u-noneinc-s
1st November 2006, 07:46 AM
I don't run beagle, but wouldn't the cron generally run at 4AM
EDIT:
Oops, I see you said anacron

mlissner
1st November 2006, 07:48 AM
I don't think so...no gawk, no awk in the process list in the system monitor or the top listing. It's been like this for days. I can't listen to music or use my keyboard without issues...

Dan
1st November 2006, 07:50 AM
Didn't get that lucky here. By default, one runs at 0800, (Laptop) the other (desktop) runs at 1000. Never bothered to reschedule. Use it for a nice excuse to get off my lazy arse and go get coffee! :p

Dan
1st November 2006, 07:51 AM
I don't think so...no gawk, no awk in the process list in the system monitor or the top listing. It's been like this for days. I can't listen to music or use my keyboard without issues... Nope. You're right. That's not Beagle.

EDIT: Just did some digging. Couldn't find anything directly pointing to owfs-2.5p5, but there was enough to make me suspect it too. Did you use the sourceforge RPM to install it?

D

mlissner
1st November 2006, 08:35 AM
I did use the sourceforge RPM, why?

mlissner
3rd November 2006, 04:57 AM
Ok, well, I uninstalled using make uninstall, but I'm not sure that did the trick. It seems like the heart of the problem is this program, w1_bus_master. Does anybody know what this program is or does? It's going to be the death of my computer if I can't figrue out what it is doing and soon.

Thanks.

mlissner
3rd November 2006, 06:17 AM
Good news everybody. w1_bus_master seems to be something related to USB. This is a little embarrassing, but the problem that I was having was because w1_bus_master was apparently routinely checking my USB jacks to see if there was anything in them (normal). What it was also doing was finding something weird that I had plugged into them (my iButton periferal). Finding that, and not knowing what to do with it, it looked at it really hard and then quit, only to return to do this again in another few seconds.

Every time it found it there, w1_bus_master took 20-50% of my CPU and made everything else die. Solution? Unplug the periferal and forget about it. Worked like a charm.

Dan
3rd November 2006, 06:24 AM
Well, I'll be dipped! Good deal! I'll remember that!

Glad it's going again. :)

Dan

stefie10
6th January 2008, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem whenever I had a one wire temperature sensor plugged in (ds2490). When I removed the USB sensor, it went away, and it also went away when I said "rmmod ds2490" and came back when I said "modprobe ds2490", although it was w1_bus_master3, then 4, each time. Since I didn't want to unplug the temperature sensor, I found a software fix by looking at the onewire driver. The problem is that it periodically wakes up and tries to find new one wire devices, but you can tell it to stop looking by editing sysfs:

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices/w1_bus_master4 && echo 1 > w1_master_search

That causes the search to stop after one more iteration rather than continuing indefinitely. You might have to change the number on the w1_bus_master directory.

mlissner
6th January 2008, 02:51 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem whenever I had a one wire temperature sensor plugged in (ds2490). When I removed the USB sensor, it went away, and it also went away when I said "rmmod ds2490" and came back when I said "modprobe ds2490", although it was w1_bus_master3, then 4, each time. Since I didn't want to unplug the temperature sensor, I found a software fix by looking at the onewire driver. The problem is that it periodically wakes up and tries to find new one wire devices, but you can tell it to stop looking by editing sysfs:

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices/w1_bus_master4 && echo 1 > w1_master_search

That causes the search to stop after one more iteration rather than continuing indefinitely. You might have to change the number on the w1_bus_master directory.

Wild. So it sounds like you were wise enough to figure out the bug and to actually fix it. Have you sent this in to Dallas Semiconductor? I never was able to get the darned thing to work, though I'm in Ubuntu these days, and I haven't tried it here.

A while back, I was pretty surprised to see that 1 wire support is a kernel module. That really seemed like overkill to me.

On a similar iButton related quandry, do you have any ideas about how to break their password protection? Somehow I locked one of them down, and it's pretty frustrating, because I need the info in it for the research I'm doing here: http://www.michaeljaylissner.com/pct-temperatures.

stefie10
6th January 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi,

I don't really understand the nature of the actual bug. Presumably the process that searches for other devices shouldn't be using so many CPU cycles, but what exactly it is doing or how to optimize it is beyond me. The fix I suggested just turns off searching in general, which gets around the problem but doesn't fix it.

I haven't sent it to Dallas. It feels like a bug in the kernel module code, so maybe LKML is a better place to post it, or the kernel bugzilla. Although it happened on a kernel installed by Debian backports so I don't really know where to report it. Anyway, I figured others with the same problem would find this page on google, just as I did.

I haven't figured out the logic for making various USB widgets into kernel modules. The Phidget servo controller was (and still is) a kernel module, but the latest phidget library uses a user space USB library with libhid.

I don't use an iButton, so I have no idea about breaking the password protection. I use the ds2490, with a USB adapter that I bought from Dallas to read the temperature in our apartment. . I'm building a thermostat/heating system for our apartment that can be controlled from a computer (and ultimately, from a GPS-based phone, so it turns on automatically when we go home.) More info on that is here, if anyone is interested: http://www.mitros.org/hack-a-week/?p=7