PDA

View Full Version : Stanton Finley's

jtravnick
31st October 2006, 03:32 PM
Will Stanton Finley's notes work for FC6? manly the yum updates.

Jim

grndplane
31st October 2006, 03:46 PM
Many of them do. I used the Amarok and Realplayer install, and for Video VLC works very well. I hope Stanton will continue to update his notes. They have been very valuable to me.

Vasquez
31st October 2006, 05:22 PM
yea stanton finley's notes rock! hope he will do update for FC6 :)

wdgiles
31st October 2006, 05:29 PM
Other threads have mentioned he may be using Ubuntu now, so we may need to focus more on fedorafaq instead. Stan's notes are the first thing I recommend to new users. Hoping what I read is only speculation and the notes will continue to be developed.

bob
31st October 2006, 05:42 PM
Stanton's happy with Ubuntu, which is an excellent distro too. The man's busy with work, life, etc. but may update his notes if he finds the time. We should remember that the FAQ will be updated and perhaps the EasyLinux and FedoraFrog but it's very early yet. Thankfully, most of what was in FC-5 is also working for FC-6 and we still have Firewing1 to fix what isn't! :D

mbokil
1st November 2006, 03:02 AM
Stanton's happy with Ubuntu, which is an excellent distro too.

Stan seems to know what is going on. If he switched should I switch also? There must be a reason he is using it more now.

bob
1st November 2006, 03:09 AM
Hey, it's ALL linux (or BSD or Syllable or Hurd...or?) so you try a new version now and again. There's a lot of similarities and some differences but eventually you find the one that does the most for you and has the support you need. I've got a few favorites and some I won't be installing again. Sure, give Ubuntu a try - it's worthy of a look and a good learning experience.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 03:10 AM
Stan seems to know what is going on. If he switched should I switch also? There must be a reason he is using it more now.

There's only one way to find out and that's suck it and see :D From what I read here and on the Ubuntu forums I think Ubuntu with Edgy and Fedora with Core 6 were competing to see who could release the buggiest version of their software :p I'm not sure who the winner is ;)

I'm sticking with Core 5 for a tad longer.

Wayne

u-noneinc-s
1st November 2006, 03:16 AM
He said he was fed up with the the incompatibility of Livna and rpmforge. He hoped by now that they would work out their differences. He still may do the notes for fc6 down the line.
There was a link here to his own comments on his forum but I don't have it. I did send a link (not "the" link) to Rondonjin if he's monitoring perhaps he'll post it.
I tried to search it again but can't find it.

snoze
1st November 2006, 03:18 AM
def. this guy is really helping many people.. I agree with him about Livna, I stoped using it and now i am great fan of freshrpm.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 03:18 AM
He said he was fed up with the the incompatibility of Livna and rpmforge. He hoped by now that they would work out their differences. He still may do the notes for fc6 down the line.
There was a link here to his own comments on his forum but I don't have it. I did send a link (not "the" link) to Rondonjin if he's monitoring perhaps he'll post it.
I tried to search it again but can't find it.

My pleasure :D

http://stanton-finley.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=666&sid=82fab9c6933d4bef8264833f2e7ba4b9

Wayne

u-noneinc-s
1st November 2006, 03:24 AM
I knew you'd come through :D

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 03:24 AM
Stanton is gone... big deal, get over it. He helped me when I was first starting out, I even used his notes to install many things for FC6. But the real problem here is everyone is complaining about it and nobody is taking action. There are many Fedora "how-tos" out there. Why not just use them? Even better, other people could actually start to take action and make their own set of FC6 installation notes. If we are so concerned about one person then the fact that Fedora is a COMMUNITY based distro becomes meaningless. Stanton had an amazing site. It was good looking, easily accessed, and easily understood by thousands of people. Nonetheless, it's something that I believe other great people in our community can reproduce, perhaps even taking them a step further. I know after reading this I'll be the first one to try.

Zotter
1st November 2006, 03:25 AM
Well, different source - but is is for FC6 - similar idea:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

Added:
Nicely said Scott!

u-noneinc-s
1st November 2006, 03:34 AM
You are absolutely correct. There are a lot of resources out there.

I don't really see anybody complaing though, just asking questions, and perhaps a little hero worship. ;)

Hell, he's helped a lot of people, I see nothing wrong with a little praise and maybe some expectation.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 03:39 AM
You are absolutely correct. There are a lot of resources out there.

I don't really see anybody complaing though, just asking questions, and perhaps a little hero worship. ;)

Hell, he's helped a lot of people, I see nothing wrong with a little praise and maybe some expectation.

Same here, I like to thank the people who made my Linux experience that much easier and it's sad to see them move on, but as they say "Nothing is permanent" I remember feeling a tad sad when Texstar stopped making his RPMs for Mandrake and then went on to create his own distro. I would have started using it over Mandrake if it wasn't for the fact that KDE was starting to drive me nuts and the elegance of Gnome started to appeal to me :D

Wayne

bob
1st November 2006, 03:39 AM
Excellent site - thanks for the post! I should have bookmarked his long ago.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 03:40 AM
Excellent site - thanks for the post! I should have bookmarked his long ago.

Yeah, I bookmarked it a couple of days ago.

Wayne

snoze
1st November 2006, 03:41 AM
lol xerox copy

u-noneinc-s
1st November 2006, 03:53 AM
scotta3234:
I unintentionally only addressed only half of your message, and I agree with you whole heartedly (though I know I won't be the one to create a better installtion guide). I look forward to your first (and hopefully successful) attempt.
I am one of those who will ALWAYS need a guide, and anything as easy to follow as Stans is very welcome.

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the positive comments. My original statement was more of a "call to arms!" post more than anything.

-Edit- I've been considering making a guide for some time now. Using what I feel is the best of the best out there. I also plan to utilize desktop recorders to make video tutorials. After Stanton is no longer with us, it now seems like the proper time to go ahead and make it.

Seve
1st November 2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the positive comments. My original statement was more of a "call to arms!" post more than anything.

-Edit- I've been considering making a guide for some time now. Using what I feel is the best of the best out there. I also plan to utilize desktop recorders to make video tutorials. After Stanton is no longer with us, it now seems like the proper time to go ahead and make it.
Hello Scotta3234:
If you want some stuff or help I would be glad to add what I can, or at least do some typing to help you out.

Seve

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 04:09 AM
Thank you Seve. I am certainly no Linux expert, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am working on a "best open source apps" website for my web production class. Hopefully I can create the guide durring the same time and can release it in a couple of weeks.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 04:11 AM
Hello Scotta3234:
If you want some stuff or help I would be glad to add what I can, or at least do some typing to help you out.

Seve

Well, if Stanton doesn't want to update his guide there's nothing stopping us asking him we can use it and update it but still leaving him credit as the original author. There's no point in reinventing the wheel here :D It seems there would only be minor edits to point to FC6 repos instead of FC5. All the codec info and Java info would be basically the same.

Wayne

Seve
1st November 2006, 04:15 AM
Well, if Stanton doesn't want to update his guide there's nothing stopping us asking him we can use it and update it but still leaving him credit as the original author. There's no point in reinventing the wheel here :D It seems there would only be minor edits to point to FC6 repos instead of FC5. All the codec info and Java info would be basically the same.

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
That is an excellent idea ..why recreate the wheel?

Now, who should approach him?

Seve

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 04:16 AM
Agreed Rondonjin. I planned on using many of his suggestions, but also taking things a step further such as: video tutorials for certain processes, adding links to many FedoraForum how-tos, summary of the best of the best linux apps, etc. Other areas might include: things like how to build your own FireFox2.0, wireless help.

bob
1st November 2006, 04:17 AM
Guys, Stan's asked for a couple of weeks to work on things. His heart may be in Ubuntu, but let's give him that time and more before asking such a thing. If you haven't looked, there's more to the site than just Fedora and I wouldn't want to give out access if it were my site.

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 04:21 AM
Ummm....
Copyright 2006 Stanton Max Finley. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

Wayne
1st November 2006, 04:21 AM
Guys, Stan's asked for a couple of weeks to work on things. His heart may be in Ubuntu, but let's give him that time and more before asking such a thing. If you haven't looked, there's more to the site than just Fedora and I wouldn't want to give out access if it were my site.

Hi Bob,

Well, it's not the whole site, just the one page that is needed. If he needs help I'm sure there'd be a dozen volunteers who'd jump right in there.

Wayne

Wayne
1st November 2006, 04:29 AM
Ummm....
Copyright 2006 Stanton Max Finley. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

There you have it! But I'm the kind of guy that likes to "do the right thing" when it comes to using someone else's work and at least let them know my intentions, especially if I'm also going to put my name to it.

Wayne

scotta3234
1st November 2006, 04:32 AM
Of course... I wasn't implying anything. I believe to give credit where credit is due. Contacting him would definitely be the "right" course of action, I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with it. But if we wanted to use certain elements from his notes we could.

bob
1st November 2006, 04:46 AM
My mistake guys if you intended to simply move the content and maintain it. I thought you were asking for permission to access his site which has poetry, a Forum, etc. See, ya gotta catch me before the second sixpack...

jkm2a
16th May 2007, 04:25 AM
I didn't realize he had a Forum on his site. Can you give me the address, or post a link, please?

bob
16th May 2007, 12:10 PM
Jkm2a, the Forum was discontinued. I think it was due to the amount of spammers that were attacking it. Also, the topics were getting a little long in the tooth since the site's last update referred to FC5.

spooky2
16th May 2007, 12:50 PM
Since I posted about Fedora 7 tutorials in a galaxy far away I've already been working on this. I am also including Fedora Core 6 for those who do not wish to upgrade.

I am setting it up in such a way that its easy to update for future releases of Fedora. I also am including little gold nuggets for things that don't rank with Java and video drivers like setting up digicam or trash permissions.

I have been experimenting with formats and styles for video tutorials, I want to keep the size down for those still on dial up so I'm creating 2 separate files for both low and high bandwidth. These can be viewed on line or downloaded.

It will take awhile still to finish everything so hopefully by mid-summer. I also am pondering on donations for DVD tutorials to be sent out with all proceeds going to Linux. The financial records to verify this will be made available. On a side note I'm looking into charitable status.

The reason or reasons I'm doing this is...
1)Many people have helped me learn Linux freely
2)Many people and been more than patient in us asking the same bloody questions over and over.
3)I am part of the community and to me community means team work. So many people are lazy and impatient and refuse to even look for the answers to there Linux problems. There are way to many adult(children) who need constant hand holding.
4)I want to add positive experiences to our community by helping people that are new to Linux learn and have fun.
5)Instead of everyone asking for others to do things I decided to be part of the team and just do it.

Sorry for rambling,thus endeth the sermon.