PDA

View Full Version : yum update problems

Nefarious
31st October 2006, 01:22 PM
After Core 6 was released, the Core 5 Repos died. So, I did the "fix" and it worked fine at the time. Now, I notice that the following is no longer working.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-$releasever&arch=$basearch

I even went into the broswer and added the appropriate information and it didn't work. To make sure it wasn't just something stupid, I tried it for core and extras and they both worked. Am I the only one seeing this problem? I went back to the "old" way of doing things for updates.

I did a yum update on my Fedora Core 5 machine, and downloaded and installed KDE 3.5.5-0.2fc5(from KControl) and right after installing, the menus got a little messed up. However, in the past(if I'm remembering correctly) the same thing has happened and a simple reboot fixed the menu to what it was supposed to be. This time it didn't. An additional thing to note, I did the same update for Fedora Core 6 and there was no problem. So, is that an update that should've been only for Fedora Core 6?

If need be, I can upgrade to Fedora Core 6.. but I'd rather not. I've come across a few problems on Core 6 that I'd prefer not to deal with right now on my main machine.

I can supply more details if need be.

brahms
31st October 2006, 01:37 PM
Change

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-$releasever&arch=$basearch
to

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-fc$releasever&arch=$basearch

Nefarious
31st October 2006, 01:41 PM
Awesome, thanks. That solves one problem. :-)

Nefarious
31st October 2006, 03:37 PM
UPDATE

I went to change someting on my main panel. I unlocked it(in case it's important) and went to configure the panel, and all that I can change are the settings for the Taskbar. Nothing else. When going through kcontrol, there's nothing in the Panel tab either. It's just a blank(default window colour) screen.

Nefarious
1st November 2006, 07:37 PM
I'd rather not upgrade to FC6 just yet. Doesn't anyone have a suggestion? Or even had a similiar problem?

lvona
1st November 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks, brahms. Me bacon been saved.

PSY0NIC
1st November 2006, 10:53 PM
I'd rather not upgrade to FC6 just yet. Doesn't anyone have a suggestion? Or even had a similiar problem?

Having many problems on FC6. Yum stalls, doesn't do anything or just seg faults. Kernel recompiles botched. ncp not working.... laundry list is growing. Think I should have held off.

Nefarious
1st November 2006, 10:58 PM
So far, I've only come across 2 problems with FC6. The i586/i686 problem aswell as a sudden lagging effect system wide. It was quite bizzare. Out of the blue, everything just seemed a bit laggy. So, I reinstalled, and haven't come across it again.

Mind you, at the moment, I'm more frusterated with FC5 as it's installed on my main machine. I can re-install FC6 as much as needed 'till I get it right.

dodd
1st November 2006, 11:27 PM
I did a yum update on my Fedora Core 5 machine, and downloaded and installed KDE 3.5.5-0.2fc5(from KControl) and right after installing, the menus got a little messed up. However, in the past(if I'm remembering correctly) the same thing has happened and a simple reboot fixed the menu to what it was supposed to be. This time it didn't. An additional thing to note, I did the same update for Fedora Core 6 and there was no problem. So, is that an update that should've been only for Fedora Core 6?

UPDATE

I went to change someting on my main panel. I unlocked it(in case it's important) and went to configure the panel, and all that I can change are the settings for the Taskbar. Nothing else. When going through kcontrol, there's nothing in the Panel tab either. It's just a blank(default window colour) screen.

I had exacly same problem after updating to kde 3.5.5. But today morning i was able to fix it.

This is what i have done:
1. logged off from kde.
2. logged into terminal.
3. moved ~/.kde directory somewhere else.
3. logged back into kde and logged off again.
4. from terminal deleted new ~/.kde and moved old one back into its place.
5. logged into kde and it was fixed

I'm sure there is better way, but this just worked and i was able to keep all my kde settings.

PSY0NIC
2nd November 2006, 12:00 AM
Oh yea. Did I forget to mention the slow downs too in my last post? Lol. It gets bad at times. Thought it was VMware at first but it happens just whenever it wants.

Nefarious
2nd November 2006, 12:05 AM
PSY0NIC:

Actually, now that you mention it... I noticed it after I installed VMware Server. Strange.

dodd:

Thanks man, it worked like a charm. You're a life saver.

partofthething
9th November 2006, 04:00 AM
I had the broken menu problem after my last yum update as well. Today, I did another yum update, most notably containing kdebase.i386 6:3.5.5-0.2.fc5. After that ran, my menus were fixed and life is good.

u-noneinc-s
9th November 2006, 05:18 AM
UPDATE

kbuildsycoca