PDA

View Full Version : 586/686 kernel question

u-noneinc-s
31st October 2006, 12:48 AM
I've been reading the threads and know there are 2 possibllities for the kmod and 586/686 kernel problem. Either switch to the 686 kernel or install the 586 kmod.

The question is this. Evidently the kernels have been arch optimized for FC6. So is there much (if any) difference in the performance on a 686 machine with the 586 kernel.

RahulSundaram
31st October 2006, 02:14 AM
I've been reading the threads and know there are 2 possibllities for the kmod and 586/686 kernel problem. Either switch to the 686 kernel or install the 586 kmod.

The question is this. Evidently the kernels have been arch optimized for FC6. So is there much (if any) difference in the performance on a 686 machine with the 586 kernel.

The performance difference probably wont be noticeable on desktop systems but the workaround is simple.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common

u-noneinc-s
31st October 2006, 02:24 AM
Thanks Rahul. I'm not there yet, but when I do it I just want to make it as painless as possible.

I'm sure I can handle either approach. It would depend on my frame (clarity) of mind at the time of install. ;) I'm an old dog and (for me anyway) there are too many "new tricks" to learn :rolleyes:

For the first couple of days the forum seemed fairly quiet compared to FC5 release, but now the posts are starting to pour in so I think I'll monitor a while more.