PDA

View Full Version : enabling desktop effects

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 06:02 PM
Hi all, having a problem enabling destop effects on Fedora Core 6, when I try to, "desktop efects could not be enabled" pops up. Anything I can do, commands that need to be entered in terminal or something, noob to linux so realy lost

Vapour
30th October 2006, 06:11 PM
Update your video driver. Make sure it supports 3d

Run the following:
# glxinfo | grep -i direct

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 06:16 PM
what do you mean run? long time windows user so spell it out....

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 06:20 PM
what I did was install freshrpms-release from....

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/6/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm

then did....

yum install nvidia-x11-drv

then rebooted

then I added to my xorg.conf.....

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod" <------- this
EndSection

and

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "TRUE" <---- this
EndSection

then restart X, and type desktop-effects at the prompt, hey presto :)

but I am using an nvidia card, and you must have a 3d graphics card

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 06:30 PM
Oh and just to add, before doing this I had some random desktop crashes were all my window decorations would disapere and a crash handler thing would pop up, but now it seems more stable with desktop effects on :)

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 06:30 PM
ok, well im still a little confused, I did click an install you link, but I have an ATi card so how do I yum install something? Alos cannot make out all the text and stuff you have down at the bottom there,
i.e
then I added to my xorg.conf how do you do that?

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 06:35 PM
oh sorry, I dont know about ATi cards, but I'm sure theres something on this forum about it

to edit your xorg.conf you can do it a number of ways really, first you need to be root to edit this file

then me personaly in a root console I use...

bash# vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

but some people dont like vi, so you could goto a root console and type....

bash# gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
or
bash# kedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

whichever desktop you use

once looking at the xorg.conf file you should recognise the stuff I put up there, and the relevant information

r1348
30th October 2006, 06:48 PM
Which ATI card do you own?
Desktop effectsare available only on cards up to Radeon 9250, using the open source driver.
Higher cards doesn't have DRI support out of the box and should use the proprietary ATI driver for hardware acceleration, that currently doesn't support AIGLX.

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 06:52 PM
and I'v just noticed if you do use the frshrpms repos then they do have ati drivers there

just....

yum install ati-x11-drv

instead of nvidia-x11-drv

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 06:54 PM
Radeon X1600PRO

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 07:14 PM
ok did add those lines you gave me before and ran yum install ati-x11-drv, how do I restart x now?

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 07:17 PM
to restart X you just have to log out, and it will restart X before going back to the login screen

BUT....

I'm not sure if the instruction above are relevant for ATi cards, did you search for ATi stuff on this forum???

I'm not sure if Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "TRUE" works on ATi driver, you'll have to search about

pressesctoquit
30th October 2006, 07:22 PM
ok, havent restarted yet, havent got the slightest idea on what to search for since I have no idea what that line means :rolleyes:

Camberwell
30th October 2006, 07:24 PM
you wanna search for instructions on getting desktop-effects working with ATi cards, as the instructions I put up there are for nvidia cards

sorry I probably shouldn't have jumped in and give those instructions without first finding out what card you had

infact ignor everything I put up there and maybe someone else can give instructions for your case

sorry

garymayor
30th October 2006, 10:19 PM
Follow the tutorial here worked a treat for me
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2454

pressesctoquit
31st October 2006, 04:53 AM
anyone more knowlagable than me, take a look at this article, specifically on how to modify and update Fedora to enable the desktop effects. Can the commands in this section also work for ATi cards? Thanks