PDA

View Full Version : FC6 - How To Configure X Windows

torinford
30th October 2006, 05:39 PM
What executable/script is used now a days for configuring X with FC6? After upgrading from FC4 to FC5, my X didn't work. Luckily running switchdesk KDE fixed the issue. Now after upgrading that same box from FC5 to FC6, X again does not work. Unfortunately, running switchdesk KDE did not fix the issue. By does not work, I mean it completely freezes. I get no login screen, no nothing. The keyboard and mouse are locked up etc. The box it self is not completely halted though as I can ssh into the box.

Torin

jcliburn
31st October 2006, 02:09 AM
At a command line, as root, execute "/usr/bin/system-config-display --reconfig" and see if it helps.

torinford
1st November 2006, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately this did not solve the issue. The command ran great, hardware was detected, everything was displayed correctly and the mouse worked great. I clicked ok and saved the new xorg.conf file. I ran startx and again during the startup X froze. ssh'ing into the box shows no X related processes running, so obviously something is crashing. Tonight I'll do a ulimit -c unlimited before running startx and see if any core files are created.

Torin

jcliburn
1st November 2006, 10:54 PM
Look for an error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

torinford
4th November 2006, 03:33 AM
I don't see anything too unusual in the Xorg.0.log file. I'm including it.

Torin

torinford
4th November 2006, 03:45 AM
I just noticed something that startx is outputting:

X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.so: undefined symbol: getsecs

This must be why the X server is immediately dying. So now I need a fix.

jcliburn
4th November 2006, 04:02 AM
[jcliburn@osprey ~]$ locate tdfx_drv.so
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.so
[jcliburn@osprey ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.so
xorg-x11-drv-tdfx-1.2.1-3.1

Edit: I don't know where getsecs comes from, though... :(

torinford
4th November 2006, 04:13 AM
I guess I'll file a bug at fedora and maybe they'll have a fix.