PDA

View Full Version : FC6 Hang/Chock on Boot

raykrueger
30th October 2006, 03:44 PM
I've recently installed FC6 on a dual-drive machine at home. hda has windows xp, and using windows as the bootloader. hdb has Fedora core 6 with grub as the first sector in /boot. Nothing new or spectacular there.

The first boot after install it hung on "Starting sendmail". I rebooted and it hung at "Starting yum-updatesd". I re-installed 3 times (each time reducing the number of packages, until I had nothing selected) and got the exact same result.

I've had Ubuntu 6.06 installed without any problems. I really want to play around with FC6, before I try Ubuntu 6.10.

Can I safely skip yum-updatesd during an interfactive startup? I'm at work right now and can't mess with it again until I get home and put the kids to bed :P I just wanted to see if anyone out there ran into this, I'll post some more info after I get home.

wdgiles
30th October 2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, you can pretty much safely skip lots of what's loaded at startup, at least for testing. Just press "i" when prompted at the initial boot and disable the offending process. It sounds like you have a dns problem - either you're manually assigned your ip and didn't specify a working dns, or your dhcp server isn't providing the dns server address.

The yum-updatesd service is just an auto update service the launches yum and tries to update the machine. No loss there as long as you run the updates manually after the first boot:
yum -y update

raykrueger
30th October 2006, 05:35 PM
Great, I'll give that a shot once I get home.
That was one of the points during the install that I did not "next next next" through. I entered a hostname manually, but left everything else set to dhcp.
I'll boot and skip yum-updatesd, kick off a full manual update, and reboot.
Hopefully it picks up something that fixes the issue :)
If not, I'll set up a fixed IP and DNS Addresses for it.

Thanks, I'll let ya know how it works out.