PDA

View Full Version : Debating whether to go to FC6...

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 02:23 PM
Not sure whether I should or not just yet. I had most things working on FC5 so "if it aint broke, dont' fix it" sort of thing..

However, it would be nice knowing i've got the latest spec on here and as i'm formatting this thing soon, it might be an idea to slam it on then.

My only concern is that I won't be able to get VMware to run. Anybody had any problems with this on FC6?

Vapour
30th October 2006, 02:44 PM
What VMware? Player/Workstation/Server?

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 02:50 PM
Just the workstation one I think it is. All I used it for is to run windows so I can run dreamweaver & adobe.

Vapour
30th October 2006, 02:53 PM
Installing it now. Will advise very shortly. I had forgotten to install it as I use Windows very sparingly outside of Wine. Have you tried using wine? I normally only use it for VPN for some client connections. They require a windows machine. I will post again shortly with any gotchas.

Vapour
30th October 2006, 03:12 PM
Just installed VMWare Workstation 5.5 and no issues at all. Verified I had kernel-headers and gcc install before, checked for any updates to FC6 before, and then simply ran the rpm. After running the rpm, I ran vmware-config as root and done. Working fine. Icons all under "System Tools"

Dan
30th October 2006, 03:29 PM
Mornin' Tiz

Unless you want to get in on the break-in bug shooting, hold off a while.

FC6 still isn't ready for prime time. As near as I can tell, Scanning on HP AIOs is just plain busted, PCMCIA utils are still roached, wireless issues are unchanged from FC5, themes are a bit unstable, Anaconda is marginally borked and tends to install the wrong kernel, and sound to headphones on laptops is DOA. on about a quarter of new installs, the Compiz eyecandy fails, but I think we expected that. It's more of a user hardware issue than anything else.

I've loaded FC6 on a sacrificial basis on my laptop, on a spare HDD. Glad I did. When I hit the road next month, I'll be taking the old FC5 drive with. FC6 gets to stay home until it gets its act together. :cool: (If elive would get their egotistical butts in gear, I'd be taking their newest live CD!)

On the bright side, yum, pirut, and pup flat get with the program, like they should. Quite a bit faster, and a lot more pleasant to use. The graphics are just plain cool! Mairind and the rest of the crew over at Redhat did a bang-up job!

I know it's kind of opinionated, raw and uncensored, but I hope it helps.

Dan

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 06:14 PM
Mornin' Tiz

Unless you want to get in on the break-in bug shooting, hold off a while.

FC6 still isn't ready for prime time. As near as I can tell, Scanning on HP AIOs is just plain busted, PCMCIA utils are still roached, wireless issues are unchanged from FC5, themes are a bit unstable, Anaconda is marginally borked and tends to install the wrong kernel, and sound to headphones on laptops is DOA. on about a quarter of new installs, the Compiz eyecandy fails, but I think we expected that. It's more of a user hardware issue than anything else.

I've loaded FC6 on a sacrificial basis on my laptop, on a spare HDD. Glad I did. When I hit the road next month, I'll be taking the old FC5 drive with. FC6 gets to stay home until it gets its act together. :cool: (If elive would get their egotistical butts in gear, I'd be taking their newest live CD!)

On the bright side, yum, pirut, and pup flat get with the program, like they should. Quite a bit faster, and a lot more pleasant to use. The graphics are just plain cool! Mairind and the rest of the crew over at Redhat did a bang-up job!

I know it's kind of opinionated, raw and uncensored, but I hope it helps.

Dan

Yes it does, many thanks. Tbh, I think i'll hold off for a while then until it is a bit more establised and some of the bugs have been fixed. I'd rather have something I know will run properly then hit loads of problems.

Tis good to know that VMware will work on it (thanks for tesitng it dude, most appreciated :) ) so when I do come to upgrade, that'll be going straight on it!! Yes I have tried wine, doesn't work that well with dream or adobe sadly, vmware is the only way i've got them to work but still, that's 'loody good as I thought they never would on a linux machine!! :D