PDA

View Full Version : Formatting & tranferring commands in linux?

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 02:01 PM
As some of you know, I'm trying to format this laptop but I'm having difficulties as I'm (somehow?) not tranferring the image across properly.

I have deleted a few mp3s off my usb stick and dragged and dropped this image over but it's not showing up in terminal (or anything else that I do).

What are the commands to format and copy stuff over? :confused:

Thanks

brahms
30th October 2006, 02:42 PM
Hi tiwoz,

I saw your other thread - perhaps I can help. There seemed to be some confusion about the dd command to copy the disc image to your usb stick.

Where do you have the diskboot.img file saved? Let's assume it's at /home/tiwoz/diskboot.img.

dd if=/home/tiwoz/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda1

Let us know how you get on with that.

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 02:48 PM
:D :D :D

Right... Tried this...

dd if=/home/tizwoz/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda1

and I got...

dd: opening `/dev/sda1': Permission denied

:confused: Yes it is saved to my home... so I've got to cmod my usb stick or something? Is that dd command actually copying it over then?

brahms
30th October 2006, 02:58 PM
Try switching to root first.

su -
(your root password)

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 04:46 PM
Try switching to root first.

su -
(your root password)

Doh! lol

Output....
24576+0 records in
24576+0 records out
12582912 bytes (13 MB) copied, 0.721672 seconds, 17.4 MB/s

YAYAYAYAY! Also loads of funny docs have appeared so I guess that's done!! Gonna try and boot that now... :D :D :D

tizwoz
30th October 2006, 06:48 PM
After a lot of buggering about, I think my laptop aint gonna boot off usb sadly. Tried many methods, just don't wanna do it (even pressed F12 to list boot devices so I can select usb stick, it's not listed there).

Oh well, i'll have access to that cdrom bay soon, just have to be patient! Thanks for all your help tho :) :) :)