PDA

View Full Version : X not starting every time

smithxi
29th October 2006, 11:23 PM
My X is not starting every time, and I know its something about the driver and Dual Head mode, and dual head mode is disabled. Has anyone else had this problem? I need a solution!

MitchLoft
1st November 2006, 04:49 PM
I am also having an issue with X not starting every time with FC6_64. Well, actually it STARTS, but I have to hit <CTRL><ALT><F7> to switch to the X session. Also having a problem with a disappearing cursor. Have to reboot to get it back. Seems to happen if I let the screen saver activate.

CrystalCowboy
1st November 2006, 05:56 PM
smthxi, a few more details are usually helpful. For example, you don't even mention which release of Fedora you are using.

My X is unstable on a FC6 ix86_64 nstallation on a Core 2 Duo (merom) board with 945GM chipset, but I have no idea whether my problem is related to yours. It looks like lots of people are having X problems in FC6.

smithxi
1st November 2006, 09:50 PM
should i just wait for updates? is it because everything is switching to 64?

clearer
1st November 2006, 10:07 PM
No.. it's because you don't give details on your problem.
It likely has something to do with your drivers and the new features in X.org, but without any details, it's impossible to tell.

drahthaar
4th November 2006, 03:43 AM
I also see the exact same problem with my laptop. I install the nvidia driver and everything went smooth but once in a while X won't start, a hard powerdown is required then it good to go.

hp dv9000, AMD Turion64 X2 TL-50
FC6 x86_64

smithxi
4th November 2006, 07:24 AM
I just yum installed kmod-nvidia drivers yesterday, and it seems to be loading more consistently now! Even if it goes to the black command line page it will load after a few seconds (or so it has a couple times now). I know it's harder for you ATI people to do, but i would update my driver through the list in the add/remove programs list.

asdfg
16th November 2006, 04:40 AM
I too am having a similar problem. When I boot FD6 my graphical interface won't work. I am shunted to a text command line. I have a hp dv9000. Everything I have tried from reconfiguring the xorg.conf file to system restarts result in errors indicating that no screen can be found and a couple other things. Has anyone been able to get the graphical interface with FD6 to work?

smithxi
16th November 2006, 08:18 AM
i was constantly having this problem until i got the correct drivers installed for my video card. At least I think it was that! If this is your only option try to find drivers that suit your video card. Otherwise install a card that is supported such as nvidia.

asdfg
16th November 2006, 08:44 AM
i was constantly having this problem until i got the correct drivers installed for my video card. At least I think it was that! If this is your only option try to find drivers that suit your video card. Otherwise install a card that is supported such as nvidia.

yup. i have an nvidia card.

smithxi
16th November 2006, 09:33 AM
yum install yumex and go through the updates, apply those that work, toss those that don't!

MitchLoft
16th November 2006, 06:38 PM
UPDATE: I reinstalled FC6_64 and it worked better. I have downloaded the nvidea drivers and the X startup seems to be working reliably. I had to modify the xorg.conf file to keep from loosing the cursor however. I found the following directions elsewhere on this site:

as root or after doing su:

rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
yum update kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
service nvidia-glx restart

After doing this and ASSuming that it works OK, edit the /etc/X11/xorg-conf file. Find the entry for the nvidia stuff and ADD a line:

Option "HWCursor" "false"

Restart the X server by <CTRL<ALT><BKSP> and it -should- be OK. It is on my system anyway.

asdfg
16th November 2006, 08:25 PM
yum install yumex and go through the updates, apply those that work, toss those that don't!

I am very new to all of this. What is yum install vs. any other kind of install and what is yumex and where can one find it?

nick.stumpos
16th November 2006, 08:48 PM
yummex is a graphical frontend for yum, so unless you solved your X problem yet it probably wont be very helpful for you

asdfg
16th November 2006, 08:50 PM
gocha, thanks