PDA

View Full Version : Mail Server - Mail not being delivered

smarttart62
29th October 2006, 05:39 PM
I have installed an SMTP / IMAP server (Cyrus / Postfix) and it just wont send OR deliver the mail.

I am on a network and the SMTP and IMAP ports are fowarded properly for TCP, and proof of that would be that my website works outside of this computer.

I installed Cyrus and Postfix via yum and according to these instructions:
http://nakedape.cc/info/Cyrus-IMAP-HOWTO/quickstart-fedora.html

In addition to Cyrus and Postfix, i have also installed Squirrelmail via yum as well.

So can anyone help me?
-Steve

havenoclu
29th October 2006, 05:55 PM
Proof would be that your website works outside of this computer? That would only prove port 80 is forwarded correctly. Can you telnet into your box on port 25 and 143 from an outside box?

smarttart62
29th October 2006, 06:00 PM
Port 25 and 143 are fowarded via TCP to the SAME ip as Apache. Thats how it's proof.
-Steve

havenoclu
29th October 2006, 07:45 PM
Port 25 and 143 are fowarded via TCP to the SAME ip as Apache. Thats how it's proof.
-Steve

so you were able to telnet to ports 25 and 143 from outside the box?

smarttart62
29th October 2006, 10:42 PM
Yep

EDIT: Or at least a freind said he could connect. I personally didn't try it because i figured it was bound to work since i was inside the network.
-Steve

havenoclu
29th October 2006, 11:09 PM
do you get any errors in /var/log/messages or the logs associated with Cyrus and Postfix??

On a side note: I use qmail/courier-imap/vpopmail, and used the guide at www.qmailrocks.org. Everything works great.

smarttart62
29th October 2006, 11:12 PM
Under maillog i see postfix is timing out when connecting on port 25... For some reason it is connecting to my "domain" instead of localhost...
-Steve

smarttart62
30th October 2006, 08:51 PM
Yahoo sent me an error back to my mailbox:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<smarttart62@_________>:
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
long.
-Steve