PDA

View Full Version : sloooooow fedora firefox downloads

Ancient Dragon
29th October 2006, 02:42 PM
I have 64-bit Fedora 5 and attempting to download core 6. This 3 gig file took about 8 hours to download, and when it was done firefox failed to save it :mad: Why :confused: can not fedora work with huge files??? I know it is not lack of disk space, I have fedora installed on a 320 gig hard drive and so far the os is the only thing on it.

This morning I rebooted my computer into MS-Windows XP and am again downloading core 6 using Firefox browser. But this time 36% is done in only 20 minutes.

So if Fedora (linux) is supposed to be to wounderful and better than MS-Windows, why can't it download files faster than at snail speed?

pipecrawler
29th October 2006, 03:41 PM
maybe you should use a torrent client like azureus.

/P

leigh123linux
29th October 2006, 03:43 PM
I do alot of downloading (300 gb per month on 2mb broardband) ,there is no difference between fedora and windows on performance ,

it is crazy trying to download such a large file without a download manager, ( i prefer bittorrent ) ther are plenty of ftp managers.

download speed depends on server load ( and FC6 has burnt a few out)

you could also try disabling ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.conf by adding these lines to the end

# Speed internet access
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

b00st
29th October 2006, 04:00 PM
I have 64-bit Fedora 5 and attempting to download core 6. This 3 gig file took about 8 hours to download, and when it was done firefox failed to save it :mad: Why :confused: can not fedora work with huge files??? I know it is not lack of disk space, I have fedora installed on a 320 gig hard drive and so far the os is the only thing on it.

This morning I rebooted my computer into MS-Windows XP and am again downloading core 6 using Firefox browser. But this time 36% is done in only 20 minutes.

So if Fedora (linux) is supposed to be to wounderful and better than MS-Windows, why can't it download files faster than at snail speed?

The little trick I do is, take the incomplete file, and open bittorent with the fc6 torrent file and point to the incomplete file, then it'll finish the rest of it. Problem solved.

marko
29th October 2006, 04:04 PM
b00st
Wow, I didn't know bittorrent could do that, a torrent file is started as a sparse file right?
So it's smart enough to grow a plain ftp'ed file to the full size and convert it
to a torrent file and then go from there? That's pretty nice

Mark

RHamel
29th October 2006, 04:27 PM
There's a lot more than the operating system, and internet browser at one end to a transmission. I've done pretty well in downloading with Fedora. I downloaded Fedora 6 directly from a mirror.

Ancient Dragon
29th October 2006, 05:03 PM
>>here is no difference between fedora and windows on performance ,
Fedora 5: 8 hours
MS-Windows: 2 hours

That's quite a difference.

My first attempt to download was to use the torrent, but I had no idea what to do with that file and neither did Fedora, and the instructions on the download page didn't seem to work either.

pipecrawler
29th October 2006, 05:21 PM
The torrent file is an .iso, just burn it as an image and then put the disk in the cd player and install :-)

leigh123linux
29th October 2006, 05:44 PM
a torrent file just contain details of the tracker and the file you want to download, you open a torrent file with a client program such as azureus. then let it download ( you can do 1 hour today close the client then restart it next week with no data corruption or lose )

a good client program you could use for torrent download is azureus (check out there homepage)

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

as for download speed diference it is not a fair test ( download at different time of day, was it from the same mirror, was the server load the same, have you got your linux box setup correctly are all factors) .

if you are so happy with windows why are you trying fedora???

THE Ralfinator
29th October 2006, 07:29 PM
I would agree that the download speed is not a fair test by a long shot. Especially since you tried with Fedora first. This would mean that a LOT of people were also trying to download FC6, and the servers were extremely busy. By the next day, a lot of people were already done downloading it, and you happened to use a server that still had a fair portion of its upload capacity available. Like leigh123, i also do a lot of downloading, and which operating system i use has absolutely no affect on download performance.