PDA

View Full Version : FC6 Resolution keeps changing

donlinux152
29th October 2006, 12:15 PM
I've tried changing my screen resolution from the default 1280X800 using system/preferences/screen resolution both as user and root. It changes fine until I reboot then everything reverts back to 1280X800 which doesn't work for me as my old compaq doesn't support it. I tried, as root, system-config-display and have the same results. If anyone can tell me how to make my resolution stay at 1024X768 for both my desktop and if possible boot, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

lisally
29th October 2006, 12:22 PM
are you using kde or gnome?

if in kde, right click on the desktop and click "configure desktop'

-go to the "display tab", where you choose the resolution.
-Change to the desired resolutioncheck the box that says "apply settings on KDE startup"
-click apply.

these settings should be saved for your profie each time you login.

I'm not sure exactly how to do that in gnome, but there's probably a similar option somewhere.

donlinux152
29th October 2006, 12:35 PM
are you using kde or gnome?

if in kde, right click on the desktop and click "configure desktop'

-go to the "display tab", where you choose the resolution.
-Change to the desired resolutioncheck the box that says "apply settings on KDE startup"
-click apply.

these settings should be saved for your profie each time you login.

I'm not sure exactly how to do that in gnome, but there's probably a similar option somewhere.
I'm using gnome, and have found where and how to change resolution, and have tried it with command line, but it always reverts back to FC6 default upon rebooting.

lisally
29th October 2006, 12:36 PM
hmm...there's no "advanced options" or a box that says "apply settings at startup?"

donlinux152
29th October 2006, 12:46 PM
hmm...there's no "advanced options" or a box that says "apply settings at startup?"
Not that I've been able to find. I've installed config editor in gnome and my default is showing up correctly in the editor as 1024X768, but as soon as I reboot, it reverts back to 1280X800 which is the FC6 default.

sirius56
30th October 2006, 03:16 PM
Same problem here.

In Gnome, I keep changing my display resolution to 1024 x 768, but upon rebooting, it returns to the original higher resolution.
I can't get the resolution setting to stick.

whizzer
30th October 2006, 03:34 PM
FC6 gives the user the option under preferences to change resolution/refresh rate, but throws away these preferences when the system is rebooted. My 2 cents.

wdgiles
30th October 2006, 03:47 PM
Rebooted for the first time since installation yesterday and mine did the same thing. previously set to 1280x1024 and after restart, it went to 800x600.

donlinux152
30th October 2006, 05:18 PM
Rebooted for the first time since installation yesterday and mine did the same thing. previously set to 1280x1024 and after restart, it went to 800x600.
that happened to me also, but the last three times I rebooted, it worked fine. I guess I'll just keep my finger's crossed for now. I'm thinking it must be some type of issue with my onboard graphics adapter on this old compaq.

zipo13
4th November 2006, 09:20 PM
Same problem here but only in KDE.
no matter what I do or how I apply the change, after a reboot it goes back to the default that is the max resolution.
I'm trying to upadte all the packages now - maybe it will help...

eutu
4th November 2006, 10:13 PM
same here i am stuck at 1280x1080 and 85Hz it hapend after i installed nvidia drivers via livna if i disable the driver i can adjust my resolution but as soon as i anable them back to same thing.

genci
4th November 2006, 10:45 PM
What happens if you manually edit xorg.conf to remove the unwanted resolutions under Modes?

sirius56
4th November 2006, 10:51 PM
I tried several different modifications of xorg.conf, but that did not help.

zipo13
6th November 2006, 10:07 PM
its seems like a wide spread problem - strange that no one picked it up before FC6 got out the door.
Anyway updating the packages didn't nor installing the livna ATI drivers.
Just installed the RPM and they are not really working yet.

whizzer
7th November 2006, 05:09 AM
As near as I can tell, Xorg is the one resetting the refresh rate to max. The refesh preference is a Fedora choice but on during the current session. Xorg on reboot ignores any user preference. I guess the people over at Xorg must have shiny new monitors.

Malkosha
7th November 2006, 08:27 PM
What I found different was that unlike previous installs, there was no place to select your display during setup. Thus, my KDS XF17 CRT was set as a “Generic 800x600” monitor on first boot. Max resolution was 800x600 with a refresh set at 60. Nasty looking.

Of course, I tried to change it but I had already installed the drivers for my video card (Nvidia 6600GT) thinking it may fix the problem. Even after selecting my monitor and fixing the settings, it reverted back to the default at first boot.

I decided to start over and this time the first thing I did was select the correct monitor before anything else. Reboot/Restart Xserver. I then changed the resolution Reboot/Restart Xserver. From that point on everything worked flawless and I was able to switch resolutions on the fly and make them stick through consecutive boots.

I’m not exactly sure if this procedure made a difference or if it was something else I didn’t take into consideration. I'm suprised that there was no way to select your display during setup. Very weird and unlike any other distro (including FC3-5). Either way, I have my Nvidia drivers going and everything works well.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

CrystalCowboy
7th November 2006, 09:58 PM
You're on the right track. The X server is now supposed to automatically identify the monitor on the fly. Specifying your monitor and its refresh rates is a good start.

CrystalCowboy
7th November 2006, 11:09 PM
Well I just did another installation and had this happen to me on a VIA EN15000G board (C7 CPU and CN700 northbridge). It was feeding a 1680 x 1050 signal to my older 1280x1024 LC monitor! I specified the monitor refresh rates and added a Modes line to my xorg.conf and it seems to be OK now.

Malkosha
8th November 2006, 02:19 PM
I’ve noticed on other threads that some people are having problems that seem to be related, such as displays going blank after first boot, etc. Common problem?

Trying to auto-identify a display in any OS is an … interesting approach

There are far too many ways for this to fail and it would seem that Anaconda needs to bring back the dialogue box that lets you change from what it “thinks” it is to what is “really” is before the first boot. The self-discovery can still go on, but considering that you can damage a display with the wrong settings, we probably need a way to change things before they progress too far.