PDA

View Full Version : Firefox2 rpm

martin.sourada
29th October 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi, since fedora developers does not seem to include firefox 2 in fc6, I tried to find a functional rpm. I have found it, but it updates firefox 1.5.0.* and cause some dependency problems. So I made some changes to it, so that it can coexist with fedora firefox version I can announce that you can download the rpms here:
fc6 i386 rpms (http://feannatar.hostuju.cz/fedora/files/FC6/RPMS/i386/)
fc6 srpm (http://feannatar.hostuju.cz/fedora/files/FC6/SRPMS/)

So feel free to install it, use it, and report any problems to me (if it is build related) or directly to mozilla. When you install it you can run it either by typing firefox2 in terminal or selecting it in Applications>Internet>Firefox 2 Web Browser.

Important: these rpms were for fedora core 6 only.

EDIT: I want to thank very much to koll2768 who was the first who hosted the rpms. Now my great thanks belongs to zeroelixis who took his place :) So you can again download rpms from the new site.

EDIT2: Again new hosting. I have finally registered for free web hosting and put the rpms there... But still only for fedora 6 - I have not had time yet to rebuild it in mock...
[/COLOR]EDIT3: I have set it as repository. It covers only FC6 for i386 now.

[COLOR=Red]Important: If you still have feannatar.repo, please remove/disable it. The site was closed down. I'll not be providing FF2 for F6 anymore. I suggest you to upgrade to F7 or F8 (or wait for F9).

ruthik
29th October 2006, 09:53 AM
woohoo. thanks mate. downloading and instlaling now.

Seve
29th October 2006, 09:58 AM
Hello Martin:

Nice job ..... once again :)

Thanks

Seve

ruthik
29th October 2006, 09:59 AM
Works like a charm and couldnt be any easier. Just installed and clicked on Firefox2 in the internet menu. Thanks mate. :cool:

tornadof3
29th October 2006, 11:37 AM
Anyone have any idea when firefox will appear in the standard yum update procedure?

Seve
29th October 2006, 11:45 AM
Anyone have any idea when firefox will appear in the standard yum update procedure?
Hello:
I have no idea, however you could check here in the development area and give it a whirl if you like.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/

Seve

zenarcher
29th October 2006, 12:28 PM
I installed the Firefox 2.0 in FC6 from the development group, via SMART and it installed and is working just fine. I've managed to wipe FC6 out completely, at least five times, trying to get some of the development updates, but this time, I only installed a few of the development packages, including Firefox 2.0 and the development version of Evolution email and everything seems to be holding. So, at least in my system, Firefox 2.0 is stable.

zenarcher

The New World
29th October 2006, 12:32 PM
I just installed FF 2 but it wouldn't activate, I even uninstalled version 1.5.07 to see if that would help, but still the same, so I had to uninstall FF2 and re-install version 1.5.07. I'm wondering if the rpm is for FC 6 whereas I'm running FC 5 and KDE desktop at the moment :confused:

ounas
29th October 2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks works a treat, a great job

Ounas a Happy User

ruthik
29th October 2006, 12:36 PM
Perhaps. New World, check your /usr/bin folder for firefox2. You should have a bin file there. Remember, its not upgrading 1.5. Its installing 2.0 and leaving 1.5 alone. So you have 2 versions of Firefox on your system.

The New World
29th October 2006, 12:42 PM
Yes thats right I did have two versions which were showing up in Applications-Internet but when I "clicked " on FF2 nothing happened except it tried to load then stopped, I'll try again in re-install it.

martin.sourada
29th October 2006, 02:41 PM
Yes thats right I did have two versions which were showing up in Applications-Internet but when I "clicked " on FF2 nothing happened except it tried to load then stopped, I'll try again in re-install it.

You can try to rebuild the source rpm - the binary one was built under fc6 so you are supposed that you have fc6 if you use it...

The New World
29th October 2006, 04:25 PM
You can try to rebuild the source rpm - the binary one was built under fc6 so you are supposed that you have fc6 if you use it...
That's what I suspected that its for the new FC6. But I'm still relatively new to linux so I'm quite happy to carry on with FC5 FTM but I will probably give FC6 a go in the new year when all the problems have been ironed out.
So for the moment its FF version 1.5.07 for me :D :D

vinster
30th October 2006, 03:01 PM
Just spotted this wonderful thread during my dinner break, a BIG thanks to martin.sourada for the rpm
Showing my stupidity here (what again?) but I tried downloading and installing the tar file with no luck, considering the brevity of the installation instructions on Mozillas page. Another question, the executable in FF 1.5.07 is about 142kb yet FF2 it shows as 10mb? I must be missing something obvious, yes?

martin.sourada
30th October 2006, 03:49 PM
Just spotted this wonderful thread during my dinner break, a BIG thanks to martin.sourada for the rpm
Showing my stupidity here (what again?) but I tried downloading and installing the tar file with no luck, considering the brevity of the installation instructions on Mozillas page. Another question, the executable in FF 1.5.07 is about 142kb yet FF2 it shows as 10mb? I must be missing something obvious, yes?

Realy?? What executables are you talking about? Here is what I have:

/usr/bin/firefox 5102 B
/usr/bin/firefox2 5104 B
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7/firefox 5235 B
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7/firefox-bin 145732 B
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0/firefox 5227 B
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0/firefox-bin 146704 B

dratliffe
30th October 2006, 09:00 PM

Well, it seems that they are not going to update FF 1.5 to 2.0. See http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-October/msg00624.html

Hopefully, they'll change their mind.

Gawain Lynch has submitted a package for review for inclusion in Extras that installs FF2.0 in parallel with FF1.5 (separate profiles). Add your email as a CC to this bug if you want to track progress:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211807

Dustin

ilari82
31st October 2006, 09:01 PM
How about:

$ yum update firefox --enablerepo=development

It seems to work, updates firefox to version 2.0-2.fc7, with one dependency (yelp).

Is there any danger that this could ruin the fc6 installation? ;)

martin.sourada
31st October 2006, 09:54 PM
How about:

$ yum update firefox --enablerepo=development

It seems to work, updates firefox to version 2.0-2.fc7, with one dependency (yelp).

Is there any danger that this could ruin the fc6 installation? ;)

That should work - at least for some time, until fc7 will be more different from fc6 ;)

Salamandra
1st November 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks a lot. Works fine.
I hope you do the same when firefox release new versions.

martin.sourada
1st November 2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot. Works fine.
I hope you do the same when firefox release new versions.

Yes, if I have enough time and koll2768 enough space and if he will be willing to host it ;)

HudsonMan
1st November 2006, 07:05 PM
The Web Developer's Essentials

Fedora Core 6 or Ubuntu 6.10, no other OS will do!
Firefox 2
Bluefish Editor
GIMPshop
OpenOffice 2
Audacity
Apache 2
PHP
MySQL
Flash Converters
MP3 Converters

Make SURE to GOOGLE all of these essential apps and
"check" them off the list and you will do very well indeed!

Mark McLaughlin - "What did the five fingers say to the face?!"

ninoanima
4th November 2006, 11:00 AM
Yes - it works fine - thx a lot

HudsonMan
4th November 2006, 03:34 PM
Don't bother getting FF 2.0, it is 1.5.1 in disguise, wait for FF 3.0, perhaps FC7 will have that included.

However, I have FF 2.0 on my MAC, works fine for me, I only use Safari for some sites anyway.

I hope Leopard 10.5 will have an upgraded Safari browser....

Mark McLaughlin - Stop whining and get back to work! - Fedora & MAC User / Writer - markmc34@verizon.net

07dcolem
4th November 2006, 04:40 PM
So what's the deal...? Will firefox in fc6 be updated to 2.0 later on or not?

martin.sourada
4th November 2006, 07:33 PM
So what's the deal...? Will firefox in fc6 be updated to 2.0 later on or not?
As far as I understand Fedora will not have firefox 2 just because they think that it is not worth it, but they will include firefox 3 as soon as it will be out - but how long it will take I am unable to say, since firefox 3 can be downloaded only as nightly build now, and the development is still in alpha stage.

nobikes
5th November 2006, 06:25 AM
I am having an instalation problem. yum keeps saying that it is not signed

What can i do?

Install 1 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 40 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:

Package firefox2-2.0-2.i386.rpm is not signed
[root@localhost tmp]#

Seve
5th November 2006, 10:48 AM

What can i do?

Install 1 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Downloading Packages:

[root@localhost tmp]#
Hello:
Where are you downloading from?
If it is one one of the standard repos your are likely missing the
gpg-key ?
You can have a look here to download and install the usual ones: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#gpgsig

Seve

martin.sourada
5th November 2006, 11:15 AM

What can i do?

Install 1 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Downloading Packages:

[root@localhost tmp]#

Just because it is not signed. You can try rpm -Uhv /path/to/firefox2-2.0-2.i386.rpm or, if you want to use yum, you can turn gpg checking off, I think you need to change in /etc/yum.conf gpgcheck=1 to gpgcheck=0. Or, if you use gnome (kde maybe too?), you can just in nautilus double click on the package and install it using the graphical backend - it will ask if you want to install it still, when it is not gpg signed.

cyberjimenez
12th November 2006, 09:51 PM
This is awesome! Especially since I am new to Fedora... and for me... it was much easier to use a tool; such as this one... which made it user friendly for me! Thanks again for the awesome tool!

IPI
13th November 2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks alot... worked very nicely...

now the question is should i remove the old Firefox? or it doesn't really matter.

Also how can i remove it if the answer is yes. i don't think i am going to use the older version anymore.

Thanks,
IPI

martin.sourada
13th November 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks alot... worked very nicely...

now the question is should i remove the old Firefox? or it doesn't really matter.

Also how can i remove it if the answer is yes. i don't think i am going to use the older version anymore.

Thanks,
IPI

You can remove old firefox, but it would remove some other apps, that are dependent on it. You can do it by yum remove firefox - it will print all the packages that will be removed too, and you will judge if you remove them also, or let firefox installed. Also you can update to ff2 from development repo, but upgrading to packages from development repo can lead sometimes to various issues... My rpm is projected that it can safely coexist with the firefox version (whatever) from fedora repos. I have both ff2 and ff-1.5.0.8 installed, both working without problems.

IPI
13th November 2006, 08:50 PM
Well then i guess i don't bother with removing the old firefox. Doesn't really matter.
Thanks Martin for your reply. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
IPI

martin.sourada
16th November 2006, 12:12 PM
I have bad news for you. Koll's hosting was closed so I am again at the beginning - I need hosting for ff2 rpm.

martin.sourada
18th November 2006, 03:54 PM
I have bad news for you. Koll's hosting was closed so I am again at the beginning - I need hosting for ff2 rpm.

Good news for ya, I have. Firefox2 i386 rpm is again abroad and src.rpm will arrive in two days. :) Look at initial post - the url is fixed there to point to new place.

martin.sourada
19th November 2006, 11:38 PM
Hi there again.
I just uploaded source rpm. I hope you will enjoy firefox2 under FC6 :)

Waggoneer
21st November 2006, 04:25 PM
how do I get my mplayerplug-in to work?

martin.sourada
21st November 2006, 07:15 PM
Well, I do not use mplayer, but the livna rpm should work. Try in firefox about: plugins (without the space).

Waggoneer
22nd November 2006, 04:45 AM
Sorry to bother you again. Also, thanks for making the RPM. I always like to have the latest and greatest.
When I do the about:plugins it doesn't list the mplayerplug-in.
I added and removed the plugin several times using yum, but it doesn't appear with FF2.
Just some feedback, in case that is something that needs to be documented.

Seve
22nd November 2006, 05:00 AM
Sorry to bother you again. Also, thanks for making the RPM. I always like to have the latest and greatest.
When I do the about:plugins it doesn't list the mplayerplug-in.
I added and removed the plugin several times using yum, but it doesn't appear with FF2.
Just some feedback, in case that is something that needs to be documented.
Hello:
Log out of user and log in as root and copy the plugin that you want from your
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
to
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/

then log out of root and log in as user and restart firefox.
Then check your about:plugins

Seve

Waggoneer
22nd November 2006, 05:09 AM
That worked!
Thank you sir. I can now see all my media types.

Today is a good Linux day. I was able to get my wireless and vpn working on my laptop so now I don't have to boot to windows but once a month.

Thanks to the community that makes Linux easy to learn.

martin.sourada
22nd November 2006, 03:47 PM
Hello:
copy the plugin that you want from your
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
to
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/
Seve

Hi, Seve
I wonder why ff2 will not find mplayer plugin that is located in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/... The others (gxine-mozplugin and totem-xine-mozplugin) work without problems from there, at least for me... :confused:

cBoSSi
24th November 2006, 03:03 AM
Hi, since fedora developers does not seem to include firefox 2 in fc6, I tried to find a functional rpm. I have found it, but it updates firefox 1.5.0.* and cause some dependency problems. So I made some changes to it, so that it can coexist with fedora firefox version and thanks to zeroelixis who hosted the rpm I can announce that you can download i386 and src rpm for firefox2 from http://www.silver-blade.co.uk/firefox2/.

So feel free to install it, use it, and report any problems to me (if it is build related) or directly to mozilla. When you install it you can run it either by typing firefox2 in terminal or selecting it in Applications>Internet>Firefox 2 Web Browser.

Important: these rpms are for fedora core 6. I am planning building them in mock and providing fc5 ones with new release.

EDIT: I want to thank very much to koll2768 who was the first who hosted the rpms. Now my great thanks belongs to zeroelixis who took his place :) So you can again download rpms from the new site.

Thanks for this man!

Seve
24th November 2006, 03:52 AM
Hi, Seve
I wonder why ff2 will not find mplayer plugin that is located in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/... The others (gxine-mozplugin and totem-xine-mozplugin) work without problems from there, at least for me... :confused:
Hello Martin:
It is a good question and unfortunately I do not have the answer?
It happens for some reason, which I am sure or at least think, is related to how the default ff is integrated with Fedora.

Seve

13th December 2006, 03:34 PM
check the permissions. :P

only because they have been the root of all of my dramas lately :P

Cheers for the fc6 rpm. ;)

wait no cheers server down :p

anywhere else it be located?

Exclamation
17th December 2006, 02:08 AM
Ths link isnt working for me :(

nnadithya
17th December 2006, 03:41 AM
if you use yum it would be easier as firefox2 is available in the development repository

try

yum --enablerepo=developement intsall firefox

and you have firefox 2 without having to deal with dependencies your self

martin.sourada
17th December 2006, 11:37 AM
Ths link isnt working for me :(

Hmm... seems that I am in hosting problems again... :(

zeroelixis
31st December 2006, 03:58 PM
Those hosts are being a bit anal, that site wont be back till 8th Jan. Sorry about this.

martin.sourada
11th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Good news... My rpms, now with 2.0.0.1 version and devel sub package (which however cannot coexist with firefox-devel package), are again out in the web. Look at the initial post.

martin.sourada
11th January 2007, 10:07 PM
You can now install firefox2 via yum. Look at the initial post (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=661017&postcount=1) , EDIT3. If you encounter any problems feel free to ask me.

funtomas
11th January 2007, 10:24 PM
konecne v repo (drzim palce) good luck

argus2
13th January 2007, 12:19 PM
@martin:
Maybe you take a look at: remi.collet.free.fr
Look in the archive of december 2006, you will find the rpm of FF2 for FC6, FC5 and FC4!!!
I installed the version for FC4 using webmin, no problem at all.......
Maybe you can save some time???

martin.sourada
13th January 2007, 05:50 PM
@martin:
Maybe you take a look at: remi.collet.free.fr
Look in the archive of december 2006, you will find the rpm of FF2 for FC6, FC5 and FC4!!!
I installed the version for FC4 using webmin, no problem at all.......
Maybe you can save some time???

Good point. But I am aware of him and I even based my first package on his (the new one is based of fedora-development version) and I know therefore the main difference between his and my packages - his are for update of firefox, which can fail due to some dependency problems - that's why I started to make my rpms (I tried to install his) - while mine are maintained to coexist with the fedora version of firefox 1.5.0.x (which is needed e.g. for gnome-python2-gtkmozembed). Only the firefox2-devel, created by me, cannot coexists with firefox-devel but as most people don't use it is not a big problem however.

pbx
2nd February 2007, 11:16 AM
thanks a lot martin.sourada :)

I've tried to use Firefox 2.0 from Mozilla web site but it was exiting when visiting youtube for example.
But your version is working great, although I've had some errors while installing:

[root@p3x Desktop]# rpm -ivh firefox2-2.0.0.1-1.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:firefox2 ########################################### [100%]
rpmdb: page 405: illegal page type or format
rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: error(-30977) getting "-t�t
�J8J" records from Filemd5s index
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: error(-30977) getting "I꤬�aވ8J" records from Filemd5s index
etc...

Thanks once more,
Regards

martin.sourada
2nd February 2007, 12:46 PM
thanks a lot martin.sourada :)

I've tried to use Firefox 2.0 from Mozilla web site but it was exiting when visiting youtube for example.
But your version is working great, although I've had some errors while installing:

[root@p3x Desktop]# rpm -ivh firefox2-2.0.0.1-1.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:firefox2 ########################################### [100%]
rpmdb: page 405: illegal page type or format
rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
error: error(-30977) getting "-t�t
�J8J" records from Filemd5s index
error: error(-30977) getting "I꤬�aވ8J" records from Filemd5s index
etc...

Thanks once more,
Regards

You're welcome. :)

It seems rather like some error in rpmdb or rpm itself. I think I can recollect I had this (or similar) error once in FC6. I though at first that rpmdb is spoiled, but it was false warning. Though rpm stopped working completely, after I rebooted it was magically fixed.

hvniekerk
2nd February 2007, 10:03 PM
Running FC6, after initial joy about the FF2 by yum, it crashed. Right before the crash, I visited another url and the lowest 3 cm of the screen still showed part of the old url. When I tried to get back one page, I noticed that the entire menu was gone. Next second, FF2 crashed.
Back to FF1.5.0.9 for now....

martin.sourada
2nd February 2007, 11:00 PM
Running FC6, after initial joy about the FF2 by yum, it crashed. Right before the crash, I visited another url and the lowest 3 cm of the screen still showed part of the old url. When I tried to get back one page, I noticed that the entire menu was gone. Next second, FF2 crashed.
Back to FF1.5.0.9 for now....

That is rather strange. I haven't encountered such problems with ff2 so far...

skystar3
7th February 2007, 08:12 AM
I have strange problem, after installing RPM, i clicked on internet-firefox2

it loaded firefox 1.5 (my old version) instead of firefox2???

I also install the firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz file from mozilla

I got the same result

Anyone have an idea??

martin.sourada
7th February 2007, 10:32 AM

I got the same result

Anyone have an idea??

I have one idea. Open terminal and try this sequence (supposing you have my version installed). The idea is, that you have to close all your firefoxes and all the firefox-bin processes.

killall -9 firefox
killall -9 firefox-bin
firefox2 &

Spookster
9th February 2007, 04:19 AM

I got the same result

Anyone have an idea??

If you look in /usr/bin you will probably see an executable script named firefox that is set to open firefox 1.5.

jocke4u
22nd February 2007, 03:17 PM
Hi,
Thanks for a good work.
I installed FF2 and it worked fine. But I have found something...

If you are running firefox2 and while it's running you reboot the computer. When it fires up again and I login, all the running applications are started again but for Firefox it starts the 1.5 version and it checks versions of themes/extensions.

Anyone else have noticed this? Anything that I can configure?

martin.sourada
22nd February 2007, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Thanks for a good work.
I installed FF2 and it worked fine. But I have found something...

If you are running firefox2 and while it's running you reboot the computer. When it fires up again and I login, all the running applications are started again but for Firefox it starts the 1.5 version and it checks versions of themes/extensions.

Anyone else have noticed this? Anything that I can configure?

Hm, I would not call it either expected nor unexpected. I did only slight modifications to the rpm, so it is possible, that when you run firefox2 it actually starts as "firefox", so if you don't close it before reboot system thinks you are running firefox and when you start log in again it starts firefox.

Possible solutions are:
1. close firefox, before you reboot. It has save session ability.
2. do suspend to ram/hdd instead of reboot most of times and in cases when reboot is needed go 1.
3. create a bin folder in your home, and create there a symlink called firefox to /usr/bin/firefox2. This way firefox2 should be run instead of firefox, when you type firefox in terminal and thus firefox2 could be run after reboot. But I am not very sure of it... Also, if you would want to run firefox 1.5 you'd need to run it with /usr/bin/firefox then.
4. This option is highly improbable: that I edit the package more so that it would work. But this is not as easy done as said and I don't have so much time to tweak with it. :(

feniks
23rd February 2007, 09:52 PM
I was wondering why they wouldn't inlcude official Firefox 2.0 package for FC6... anyway I see it's not gonna happen until FF3.0.

Anyway just out of couriosity, still am linux newbie, how do you properly "install" official firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz ?

Because what I did was my pure creative invention hehe :) but it works for me I think the same way as that FF2 rpm you guys created :) I just unpacked the tar.gz archive and as root copied the folder into /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.1 so now I have to fiefoxes (both working). Then as a user I started firefox from firefox-2.0.0.1 folder and choose option to run by default at its initial boot. well I still had to manually create desktop shortcut (sorry for windows expression, it's not that easy to get rid off of old habits) for Firefox 2.0.

cheerz :D

martin.sourada
23rd February 2007, 10:18 PM
I was wondering why they wouldn't inlcude official Firefox 2.0 package for FC6... anyway I see it's not gonna happen until FF3.0.

Anyway just out of couriosity, still am linux newbie, how do you properly "install" official firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz ?

Because what I did was my pure creative invention hehe :) but it works for me I think the same way as that FF2 rpm you guys created :) I just unpacked the tar.gz archive and as root copied the folder into /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.1 so now I have to fiefoxes (both working). Then as a user I started firefox from firefox-2.0.0.1 folder and choose option to run by default at its initial boot. well I still had to manually create desktop shortcut (sorry for windows expression, it's not that easy to get rid off of old habits) for Firefox 2.0.

cheerz :D

It is not same way, even though it looks like it... You only copyed the content of the archive to /usr/lib, but in the rpm there are some patches, starting script placed to /usr/bin, desktop file, etc. But to answer your question: there are more ways how to do it properly:
1. install it from source package using ./configure && make && make install... I never tried that for firefox and don't know how it works, but with good writen programmes it installs them to /usr/local. That is the proper place, where compiled packages should be. To /usr only oficial rpms should install programs...
2. untar it to /opt/lib/firefox-2.0.0.1
3. if you want it only for yourself than untar it to ~/lib/firefox-2.0.0.1 and in ~/bin make symlink to ../lib/firefox-2.0.0.1/firefox (to enable coexistence with firefox 1.5.x name the link as e.g. firefox2, or firefox-2.0 or whatever you want). Then you should be able to run it using the name of the symlink (e.g. after you press alt-f2 you write there only the name of the symlink, not whole path).

Using one of the possibilities I listed it would be installed quite good. Because you don't add anything to folders rpm usually uses (/usr/*), you use folders that are here for the reason, you can easily find out what you installed this way (just by exploring these folders, since in clean installation they don't have any content).

If you want to know from what places system runs programmes, type in terminal
echo "$PATH". It will list folders (separated by ":") where system looks for programmes if you type only the name of the programme - not path. The last have the highest priority, I think, and the first lowest (that's for cases when you have in these folders more executables with same name).

feniks
24th February 2007, 12:50 AM
ok, thank you for explanations. I think now I got it finally :)

troyw3412
25th February 2007, 07:07 PM

Has a version been released, or in the works to be released for FC5?

rdwinders
25th February 2007, 07:42 PM
I found an expanded instruction set which shows for a single user and for multi users here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing_Firefox

But I tried to follow these instructions also and got the same results as 'The New World.' It appears to be trying to load and then quits. So I used 'smart package' and reinstalled Firefox-1.0.5.9. I'll give the announced rpm a try. I read of a vulnerability in firefox with ssl that is supposed to be fixed in versions 2+

rdwinders
25th February 2007, 08:20 PM
ilari82 wrote
" $ yum update firefox --enablerepo=development" so I gave it a try and voila, have now firefox-2.0.0.1 up and running in FC6. Was first command line experience with yum and so was a treat.

martin.sourada
25th February 2007, 09:58 PM
Has a version been released, or in the works to be released for FC5?

I am not sure I understand what you wrote, but if I understand it right than you are asking for FC5 rpm? Well, I haven't got time to rebuild it. Hopefully sometime in next week I will update to FF 2.0.0.2 and if time allows I rebuild it also for FC5.

martin.sourada
19th March 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry for any inconveniences, but feanntar.hostuju.cz is down, at least until Wednesday. So please turn off your feannatar repository in yum (if you have it) until it is fixed.

Thanks,
Martin

martin.sourada
21st March 2007, 03:05 PM
Ok, so my repository is up again.

Thanks,

tabish121
26th March 2007, 08:32 PM
I've installed from the yum repo and whenever I run FireFox 2.0 and close it, I get an error when I try and open it again saying it is already running but not responding. To get it running again I have to go to a terminal, find the firefox process and kill it.

Anyone seen this before?

funtomas
26th March 2007, 09:16 PM
I've installed from the yum repo and whenever I run FireFox 2.0 and close it, I get an error when I try and open it again saying it is already running but not responding. To get it running again I have to go to a terminal, find the firefox process and kill it.

Anyone seen this before?

same problem so I return back to 1.5 version

there is no advantage from FF2 for me

martin.sourada
27th March 2007, 07:46 PM
It had happened sometimes to me, but not always. Anyway, I switched to Epiphany, but still keep firefox2 in my repo. As soon as I have enough time I update it to latest version, but as you can guess it is not high priority for me...

Zero-Override
2nd April 2007, 11:38 AM
you are my ANGEL!!!!!

thank you very very much, ie been trying for 3 hours to get the friggin package from mozilla to install and couldn get it right =/

thank you!!!

RajuTiwari
20th May 2007, 02:35 PM
martin.sourada wrote
I hope you will enjoy firefox2 under FC6
yes bro,u r really rock.i tried your trick nd FF2 working fine.
1st i download your repo file nd put in to "yum.repos.d" nd after that use yum "yum -y install firefox" nd then remove old mozilla ff 1.5 through yumex.
Thanx

cicatrix1
27th June 2007, 01:43 AM
Any update on this? Have you given up on the firefox package? FF is up to 2.0.0.4, and unless I'm missing something, nothing has been released since 2.0.0.1. Is this dead? If so is there another repo I can use to continue to get FF2 updates?

martin.sourada
27th June 2007, 08:04 AM
Well,

there are few reasons I haven't updated it since...

1. I was lazy in the past and now I don't have time
2. I moved to Fedora 7
3. I don't use firefox anymore

But I will hopefully start to make updates again in a month or so (if I finish my exams successfully)... I am not aware of anyone packaging FF2 for FC6 so that it can be run parallel to FF1.5..

ghell
27th June 2007, 11:41 AM
When I was on FC6 I just used

yum install firefox --enable development

To get Firefox 2. Does this not still work on both FC6 and F7?

EDIT: This seems to still work.

martin.sourada
27th June 2007, 02:26 PM
When I was on FC6 I just used

yum install firefox --enable development

To get Firefox 2. Does this not still work on both FC6 and F7?

EDIT: This seems to still work.

Hm... I don't think it's good to use F8's firefox (development) in FC6 and in F7 there is latest stable...

ghell
27th June 2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know how "good" it is, but it seems to work without any problems for me. It's just F8 because its in the development repository, that doesn't mean it only works on F8.

martin.sourada
27th June 2007, 02:59 PM
No, but because it's in development repository it could mean that it might not work at all... But firefox usually work... If I have known about easy way how to install and keep updated firefox from F7 on FC6 I would certainly preferred it to development version... But as I am on F7 and use epiphany and firefox is the latest there, I don't need to choose...

Lee B
14th July 2007, 02:59 PM
Martin,

Just to let you know for whatever reason OpenDNS has your site flagged as an adult porn site:

**Adult site blocked. feannatar.hostuju.cz is not allowed on this network.**

While I can get around this by changing DNS servers I just wanted to let you know.

Lee B
14th July 2007, 03:27 PM
Also...

Thanks to my friends over at Certforums.co.uk (http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=156796#post156796)

Fedora Core 6 developers have decided against putting Firefox 2 in Fedora Core 6 so I thought I would share this tip how you can upgrade to Firefox 2 from Firefox 1.5 the easy way!

Open a terminal

Become a super-user by typing
su

Then type:
yum -y --enablerepo=development update firefox

and press enter!

It will download from the development repository FF2 - a download of around 21MB.

I just did this and it worked flawlessly.

martin.sourada
14th July 2007, 04:24 PM
Martin,

Just to let you know for whatever reason OpenDNS has your site flagged as an adult porn site:

**Adult site blocked. feannatar.hostuju.cz is not allowed on this network.**

While I can get around this by changing DNS servers I just wanted to let you know.

Hm... that strange. It's free hosting and I have there no such content on it... It could be that someone hacked it, or something, dunno... I'll check it. Thanks for letting me know...

martin.sourada
14th July 2007, 04:28 PM
Hm... that strange. It's free hosting and I have there no such content on it... It could be that someone hacked it, or something, dunno... I'll check it. Thanks for letting me know...

Hm.... even stranger... It seems that the content is perfectly OK. What DNS server mark it as adult site only?

Lee B
14th July 2007, 09:17 PM
Hm.... even stranger... It seems that the content is perfectly OK. What DNS server mark it as adult site only?

I use OpenDNS (opendns.org) 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220

martin.sourada
14th July 2007, 10:51 PM
I use OpenDNS (opendns.org) 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220

Hm... seems that that it blocks whole domain (hostuju.cz). As it is free hosting, it is possible some of the pages there could be "adult only"... But I wonder why they block all subdomains with it... I read that that there is an option in the error message to report false positive... I also read that it blocked flickr and myspace (probably for similar reasons)...

n74jrw
21st August 2007, 08:49 PM
Hi - That install seemed to complete properly, but did not do anything. FF1512 is still the default browser, even if I select the FF2 shortcut from the menu, or type firefox2 from a terminal! What did I do wrong? I did the install from the terminal with: rpm -U firefox-2.0.0.1.rpm (It's what the Linux book said to do)

This kind of stuff is why crappy OS' like XP/Vista will continue to rule the desktop, and why Mac OS is burying Linux. They are easier to use. I don't want to search a help forum, or compile packages, I just wanna install FF2.

Thanks for the packages, though. I do not understand why FF2 is not in the repos. Too slow? Most folks I know prefer FF1x to FF2.

Thx

martin.sourada
21st August 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi - That install seemed to complete properly, but did not do anything. FF1512 is still the default browser, even if I select the FF2 shortcut from the menu, or type firefox2 from a terminal! What did I do wrong? I did the install from the terminal with: rpm -U firefox-2.0.0.1.rpm (It's what the Linux book said to do)

This kind of stuff is why crappy OS' like XP/Vista will continue to rule the desktop, and why Mac OS is burying Linux. They are easier to use. I don't want to search a help forum, or compile packages, I just wanna install FF2.

Thanks for the packages, though. I do not understand why FF2 is not in the repos. Too slow? Most folks I know prefer FF1x to FF2.

Thx

Hm... It should work. Have you closed the firefox before trying the new one? Try kill -9 firefox-bin in terminal first. As for default browser, no package sets that, you can change it by hand in system->preferences->preferred applications or something like this (in Fedora 7 it's in different path and I don't rememer exactly where it was in Fedora Core 6) However I ceased to make newer builds and I don't know whether I'll update it sometime... I'd highly suggest to upgrade to Fedora 7, it's stable, for me it works sorta better than Fedora 6 and has the firefox 2 in repos (and thunderbird 2 as well).

n74jrw
21st August 2007, 10:44 PM
Funny, I did the ole Windows trick & rebooted the computer. You are right, there was a process of some sort in there mucking up the works. It is awesome that both versions are retained separately.

Great stuff, thanks!

/N

martin.sourada
3rd April 2008, 11:08 AM
You know guys, F6 is now nearly antic and I don't have time to keep making the firefox2 rpms for it on (besides... my site, where the firefox rpms were, was closed down). I'd suggest you to upgrade to F7 or F8 that already have F2, or wait for F9 which will have F3 :)

hvniekerk
3rd April 2008, 08:18 PM
I've been running F8 for some time now, and waiting for F9 to be released. So no comments from me. Thanks for your work.