PDA

View Full Version : So like we now have Copiz and all... Where are the themes and extra effects for it?

Thetargos
29th October 2006, 08:35 AM
And by that I mean the window borders. Yes the border changes accordingly to your "controls" (gtk) theme, but for some reason that just don't cut it for me anymore. Anyone knows a good themer application for gnome-window-decorator?

I know that Vanilla compiz has one, but for some reason the Fedora version does not have any, and rely on the standard gnome-themer for the themes. So are there any others?

Also, what would be the way to enable extra effects? Compiz usually has a "control panel", which seems to be lacking something.

ruthik
29th October 2006, 09:47 AM
Try installing the beryl (and emerald) rpms. Then head over to gnome-look.org :-)

Dan
29th October 2006, 02:27 PM
Ayup. Now we all have it.

But, realistically, how useful is it? Don't get me wrong! It's whizzy, fun, cool, and awesome. And just impresses the devil out of the girls I go out with...

But in the process of writing a document, listening to The Kingston Trio, or Jimmy Buffet, GIMPing up a photo, or surfing www.timewasting.idiot.com, or watching Thunderbird sift through a ton of spam, where does the mission critical part come in?

It certainly is some nice eyecandy, and I played with it a lot for twenty minutes or so... But now I've switched back to the regular desktop, where my window preferences all work, and I can drag an open window onto another workspace.

So, now, there it sits. Consuming space.

I must be getting old. :cool:

Dan

jim
29th October 2006, 02:53 PM
Where did you get the rpms from ?

ruthik
29th October 2006, 04:21 PM
I dont really remember where I got them from mate. If you can wait about 15 or so minutes I will upload them to my ftp and drop the links here.

and tangled is right to a certain extent. It is some amazing eye candy. But I have used the hell out of the 3d cube deal. Mainly because im too lazy to map the mouse wheel to switching desktops. I use that to run bluefish on 2 screens (1 for folder navigation and the other for open files (php in this case). Then another desktop for keeping gFTP up so i can quickly upload edited files. and another for my website so I can see finished results. It has saved me so much time and carpul tunnel problems (which I already seem to have lol) opening and closing programs or minimizing / restoring them. I simply love it.

And what girls do you impress man, gimme some #'s here. lol. most of the girls around here are like "uh...cool..but you're a nerd..." lol

ruthik
29th October 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125275&page=1&pp=15

booya. there it is.
Works perfect for FC5 and FC6. Make sure to check the yum repo for the files that he manually installs (using make) if they dont install correctly. I noticed that some didnt compile for me so I installed them through yum and it worked fine. If you are using FC6, bypass all the compiling bs and jump to the bottom to the RPM's. :-)

Thetargos
29th October 2006, 06:44 PM
Ayup. Now we all have it.

But, realistically, how useful is it? Don't get me wrong! It's whizzy, fun, cool, and awesome. And just impresses the devil out of the girls I go out with...

But in the process of writing a document, listening to The Kingston Trio, or Jimmy Buffet, GIMPing up a photo, or surfing www.timewasting.idiot.com, or watching Thunderbird sift through a ton of spam, where does the mission critical part come in?

It certainly is some nice eyecandy, and I played with it a lot for twenty minutes or so... But now I've switched back to the regular desktop, where my window preferences all work, and I can drag an open window onto another workspace.

So, now, there it sits. Consuming space.

I must be getting old. :cool:

Dan
Actually I find it rather useful, and believe it or not, I've gotten more productive. It does indeed help manage a LOT of windows opened (try pressing the pause key with a bunch of windows opened into one workspace... Know what ExposŤ is?)

Also the fact that the console is truly transparent is another plus or the ability to make each an every window transparent is also a plus. It is also fun to use with its wobbly motion, and the watery effect (ctrl+meta). I wold ahve to reckon, though that for the time being (and I'm not sure if this is an nVIDIA-only issue) when the CPU is taxed (~80% use) the mouse pointer and windows movement is all jerky, and the fact that (maybe because of the same) running 3D applications (Blender, games, etc) is SSSLLLOOOWWW.