PDA

View Full Version : Yes I'm sorry yet another Nvidia dip dunk question(s)

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 02:55 AM
I have read for the last 2.5 hors post regarding installing Nvidia drivers in Fedora 6.

I have to say I'm more lost and confused then before. I read every post, something like 400+ about installing the drivers. I did see Stanton's web site about installing Nvidia drivers but since it was for Fedora 5 and not 6 I didn't want to create problems by following the wrong instructions.

Can anyone please tell me in simple terms what and how I need to install these video drivers?

I'm using a 32 bit OS with a Nvidia Geforce 5200 AGP card. I did read the instructions by Firewing but I also read every other post also, for some it worked and others it didn't.

What is the right way to install using terminal root and yum? And what exactly do I need to install for 3d accelerated graphics like openGL?

What is the right way to edit and save x-cong files as a normal user under terminal root? What do I need to edit?

Thank you so very much.

Digby R.

b_martinez
29th October 2006, 03:02 AM
I have yet to install FC6, because the torrent I'm seeding is still very active, but I think you will be able to install the Nvidia drivers from the Livna repository. At least that is what I gathered from the developers mailing list. Might be listed under kmod-nvidia or somewhere in the xorg section. Sorry to not be much help.
Bill

Just looked and it's available for i386 in Livna repo as
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.8776-2.lvn6
and you PROBABLY can use the instructions in Stanton Finley's dirrections to add the Livna repo if it's not already added.
Bill
2nd edit
adding under root is
1) open terminal
2) type in "su -" without the quotation marks (" ") and hit enter
3) type in root password
4) type in "yum update" without the quotation marks (" ") and hit enter
5) type in "yum install yumex" again without the quotation marks (" ") and hit enter
6) type in "exit"
repeat #6
look for yum extender under "System" and click on it. It's a graphical manager for adding/removing/updating packages/programs. MUCH easier to use than a terminal every time. IF yumex isn't available, the command (as root) "yum list smart*\*" may show the 'smart package manger' and you type in "yum install smart***" where the 3 *'s mean whatever follows the word smart. I didn't look, so I don't know.
Hope I haven't confused you too awful much.
Bill

Seve
29th October 2006, 03:12 AM
Hello:
If you go to this site: http://rpm.livna.org/
and click on this link :http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna
and follow the instructions to enable the livna repo for your system, then you will be able to use yum to install kmod-nvidia and you should be good to go.
If you are not familiar with yum then please take a minute and read through here: http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#terminal
and here : http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Once you have the livna repo enabled then open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword
then type
yum install kmod-nvidia
once it is done installing, reboot your system and you should have the drivers installed.

And yes there are a lot of confusing posts etc. around due to compiz, desktop-effects and Beta drivers so it is very easy to become confused. :)
Seve

Dan
29th October 2006, 03:12 AM
Hi Bill.

Got any trees left? :p

Dan

b_martinez
29th October 2006, 03:20 AM
Hi Bill.

Got any trees left? :p

Dan

The "blizzard" was nothing but a news blurb. Wife said we got rain, but I was in Saguache looking for wapiti, and we got a whole 2 inches of snow. (the day we left)
Bill

Dan
29th October 2006, 03:35 AM
The "blizzard" was nothing but a news blurb. Wife said we got rain, but I was in Saguache looking for wapiti, and we got a whole 2 inches of snow. (the day we left)
Bill I'm jealous as h*ll! Haven't been hunting in a very long while.

Anyway, we got the snot knocked out of us. Still got 3-4 inches of snow in the back yard. And the trees are quite a bit thinner than they used to be.

The good news is, there's plenty of firewood already cut up for next year! :p

Dan

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 03:38 AM
I did what Seve advised and got this error in terminal as root (su-)

*Transaction Check Error: package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 is already installed
file /boot/System.map-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/symvers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.gz from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6*

I did not install anything expect the updates that software updater advised was available.

Thank you for your help. Yes I'm still lost but perhaps a glass or 4 of pinot will help.

b_martinez
29th October 2006, 03:40 AM
I'm jealous as h*ll! Haven't been hunting in a very long while.

Anyway, we got the snot knocked out of us. Still got 3-4 inches of snow in the back yard. And the trees are quite a bit thinner than they used to be.

The good news is, there's plenty of firewood already cut up for next year! :p

Dan

Firewoods always handy,and I sympathise about the snow. We got up to near 65 today. Pueblo -- in the eye of the storm. No rain, no snow, and bass ackwards weather.
LOL
Bill

Seve
29th October 2006, 03:46 AM
I did what Seve advised and got this error in terminal as root (su-)

*Transaction Check Error: package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 is already installed
file /boot/System.map-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/symvers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.gz from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6*

I did not install anything expect the updates that software updater advised was available.

Thank you for your help. Yes I'm still lost but perhaps a glass or 4 of pinot will help.
Hello:
This looks like the bug in anaconda as noted here: http://rpm.livna.org/
The quick answer is listed on the same page:

This is due to a bug in anaconda (the Fedora Core installer) that accidentally installed an i586 kernel on your i686 machine. Workaround

* switch to the i686 kernel and try again after a reboot
* install the i586 version of the kmod (e.g. run "yum install kmod-nvidia.i586")

Seve

Dan
29th October 2006, 03:46 AM
*grumble-grumble* Lucky durn.... ! *grumble-grumble*

BTW, I'm waiting to try this whole nvidia driver thing until Digbyrow gets a good install. I've got the same AGP card. So I'm back into the bushes watching. ;)

Dan

Dan
29th October 2006, 03:49 AM
Evening, Seve!

SO... let me see if I've got this right.

1) enable Livna repos
2) yum install kmod-nvidia.i586

That about got it?

Dan

Seve
29th October 2006, 03:51 AM
*grumble-grumble* Lucky durn.... ! *grumble-grumble*

BTW, I'm waiting to try this whole nvidia driver thing until Digbyrow gets a good install. I've got the same AGP card. So I'm back into the bushes watching. ;)

Dan
Hello Dan:
I don't think you will have any issue with the install from livna as they are the current released drivers. You won't get any of the fancy effects unless you want to give the 1.09626 drivers a whirl from freshrpms .. but that's another story :)

Seve

Seve
29th October 2006, 03:53 AM
Evening, Seve!

SO... let me see if I've got this right.

1) enable Livna repos
2) yum install kmod-nvidia.i586

That about got it?

Dan
Hello Dan:

Yes
yum --enablerepo=livna install kmod-nvidia

and it will find and install what you need.

Seve

Dan
29th October 2006, 03:57 AM
Great!

Hey digbyrow! How did the .i586 package work out for you?

Dan

EDIT:
You won't get any of the fancy effects unless you want to give the 1.09626 drivers a whirl from freshrpms .. but that's another story Solid is good! I can do, solid!

D

Seve
29th October 2006, 04:00 AM
Hey Dan:

Did you get any of that snow I saw on the TV or was that in a different area?

Seve

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:04 AM
Hey Dan:

Did you get any of that snow I saw on the TV or was that in a different area?

SeveThat was here alright. Hmmmm. I think I posted that to you somewhere yesterday! Don't remember the thread though. :D

Dan

EDIT: From http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133919

Hi Seve.

Yeah! Beat the snot out of us! Spent the whole day out cutting up trees and hauling off branches. (From other neighbors and those who can't get out and clean up for themselves. My trees were already done!) Power was down since yesterday, and phones are still hit or miss. However, there is a bright spot. Learned that the old man can still swing an axe with the best of 'em!

Dan And I weren't even sore this morning!

D

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 04:11 AM
Again my thanks to everyone who has helped.

I have yet another question. I was reading the bug and it says to do the following"switch to the i686 kerne", how do I do this?

Also I followed the instructions for adding livna and get this error-
"Error getting repository data for livna, repository not found"

I know in the end it will be simple with hindsight & all. What I would do for a few books to read about FC6, while surfing I came across a book yet released titled "Fedora Core 6 Unleased", is this a good reference book to buy? I realize it is not out yet but I saw one for Fedora 5 if anyone has read it.

Thanks again.

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:15 AM
Hi digby,

I take it you still have no joy on the nvidia drivers?

Dan

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 04:19 AM
Hi digby,

I take it you still have no joy on the nvidia drivers?

Dan
I've had more fun running 10 miles in the freezing rain during book camp with a swift kick in the butt just to make it more enjoyable.

No joy not yet but I expect it to work...eventually.

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 04:20 AM
I have no FN idea what 'book camp' is. It must be the Pinot typing.

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:21 AM
I've had more fun running 10 miles in the freezing rain during book camp with a swift kick in the butt just to make it more enjoyable.

No joy not yet but I expect it to work...eventually. That ain't good! I was waiting too see how it went for you before I tried it. Where did it fail last time?

Dan

Seve
29th October 2006, 04:24 AM
Hello Dan:
Sorry about that double question....... got to get a new mind and or another bank of memory ... :confused:

Seve

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:25 AM
Hello Dan:
Sorry about that double question....... got to get a new mind and or another bank of memory ... :confused:

Seve No problem. CRS and CRAFT live here too! :p

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 04:27 AM
I was reading the bug and it says to do the following"switch to the i686 kernel", how do I do this?

Also I followed the instructions for adding livna and get this error-
"Error getting repository data for livna, repository not found"

Thats where I am still lost. How do I obtain the kernel much less boot into it? And what is the proper way to install the livna repo?

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:34 AM
This ain't the usual way to do it, but I usually just surf to: http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna and follow the instructions there. Once I find the right distribution I'm using, I copy and paste the

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm or

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm (depending on the version I'm using)
line into a terminal window (after becoming root by )
su -
"password here"
That usually sets me up for using livna.

Dan

EDIT: Or try what Seve just posted below. They both get you to the same place, except he includes the driver download and install too. :D

D

Seve
29th October 2006, 04:35 AM
Hello:
The easiest way to install the livna repo
open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
your password
then copy and paste
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
hit enter, wait and you should be good to go

Since you are relatively new to FC then just install the

yum install kmod-nvidia.i586

To remove the i586 and install a i686 kernel is not that easy to do and next kernel release will likely update your kernel to the proper i686 and then you will be okay.

Dan has you covered :)

Seve

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 04:45 AM
Will one word...goat****...I will gladly wait for the kernel update while deer hunting. Beside I blowed up my Mircosoft disk sighting in my rifle. It was more of a GF than this is and at least the support is friendly. Anyone know when that update is? I might just take a little trip up to Michigan. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Dan
29th October 2006, 04:52 AM
Will one word...goat****...I will gladly wait for the kernel update while deer hunting. Beside I blowed up my Mircosoft disk sighting in my rifle. It was more of a GF than this is and at least the support is friendly. Anyone know when that update is? I might just take a little trip up to Michigan. Thanks again for everyone's help. *Hangs head* Seve, I think we just drove this poor man to drink! :p

Been reading around a bit, Digby. Seems like FC 6 and FC 5 have been a bit uncooperative. Hope we haven't added to that. If it's any consolation. I'd rather be hunting too.

Didn't use my Microsoft disk to sight the rifle. But I can tell you for a fact that they're hard to put out once you get them burning! :D

Dan

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 05:01 AM
Dan, why would you want to put it out? I say smoke it into the ground. I'll wait for the updates no big deal. I've got plenty to do since I retired. I think I will go hunting up in Michigan next week then see if these 'bugs' have been squashed. I just bought a couple of new toys I'm looking forward to breaking in. Maid not included, though I wish it so.

Dan
29th October 2006, 05:12 AM
Dan, why would you want to put it out? Instinct from years of putting out fires. I managed to find a chair and force myself to sit down until the feeling went away, though. Hunting sounds like a real good pastime while FC gets the big issues squared away. Sounds like Bill already spent the week out playing too. My wonderful wife is sitting right across the room... so I'll leave the maid thing alone... for now... Guess I'll just sit here and scratch my head while I pout. :p

Take care, and be careful! Look forward to catching you when you get back.

Dan

digbyrow
29th October 2006, 06:02 AM
I expect it to be a great trip. I'll post in Wibble when I get back. My wife thinks its funny watching me lust over the college girl maid she hired last month so I'll be glad to get away into the great outdoors. I'm not that old that I can't appreciate the irony of it. Give me the maid and damn the scandal...then I wake up. Talk to you later.

Zigzagcom
29th October 2006, 06:26 AM
Hi digbyrow,
maybe this will help you out a bit. I have had the same troubles and tried to jump through a few unusual hoops to get the i686 kernel installed.

In the end I re-installed from the FC6-DVD.iso to get to a clean starting point.
After that, I installed kernel-xen with the i686 architecture:

yum install kernel-xen
On the next re-boot, the xen kernel will be used.
Next, un-install the original kernel with the i586 architecture:

yum remove kernel
Next, having downloaded and installed the livna repo data,

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
install the kmod-nvidia module:

yum install --enablerepo=livna kmod-nvidia
This will also install the correct kernel as a dependency with the i686 architecture and the xorg-nvidia module. After you re-boot, that kernel will be used (replacing kernel-xen).
The module installed is not the latest beta though. I'll leave that up to you.
Hope that helps....

digbyrow
31st October 2006, 03:07 AM
I didn't get to go hunting...yet anyway. My wife's father had a massive heart attack and she had to leave town today. We have a lot of animals to take care of and friends who usually take care of them while we vacation are both sick.

By the way thanks Zigzagcom it worked like a charm. I found a way to do it after a fresh install painlessly. I even have desktop-effects working like a charm.

Now if I can only get foobillards working again. I'm addicted to that game. I'd like to find a 3-d darts game also.

The only problem with desktop-effects is it maxes my cpu while leaving 80% RAM free. I'm looking for a way to force FC to use all of ram first before cpu power. I could do it in XP.