PDA

View Full Version : Customize window decorations with desktop effects enabled?

shadowwyvern
29th October 2006, 02:06 AM
As the thead title says, how do I add custom window decorations with the effects enabled? The default theme looks, IMHO, awful. I have been able to skin the controls and interior of windows, but not the borders/titlebars.

Also, how do I specify which effects are avaliable, beyond the enable window warping and the cube options you are presented with in desktop-effects?

Thanks

darkscript
30th November 2006, 08:46 PM
okay, as far as I know, it isn't possible to change any window decorations when you have desktop effects enabeled. Essentially, when you enable desktop effects, you change your window manager from metacity to compiz. Metacity is what draws the window frames, and Compiz is what gives the desktop the special effects, and uses it's own builtin window manager, completely removing metacity from the picture.

But I haven't seen any theme management systems for compiz yet. But then again I haven't looked.

Anyways, the easiest way to fix the problem would be to install BERYL which is another desktop effects system, which is imho, much better and has the same functionality.

hope that was helpful.
~devon

Dies
30th November 2006, 09:46 PM
You can get exactly what you want by doing yum install beryl-gnome, this will install beryl but also a bunch of other stuff like heliodor which is what you need. Start beryl by running beryl-manager in a terminal, you can add it to your startup programs if you want, then click on the diamond in your tray and you can select heliodor under window decorator which will let you use normal window decorations with compiz or better yet beryl effects.