PDA

View Full Version : FC-1 RPMs

Bunny Boy
29th October 2006, 01:59 AM
Is there any way I can configure the Add/Remove Applications applet so that it will allow me to install the core RPMs from my hard disk rather than from the CD-ROM?

BillT440
29th October 2006, 02:08 AM
I think I know what you're trying to accomplish, but the best I can offer is system-config-packages or maybe it's redhat-config-packages in FC1... it's been a while so I don't remember for sure. If you have the FC1 iso images handy, you can pass an argument to that program.
example:
system-config-packages --isodir=/path/to/iso

FYI don't put the iso images inside /mnt... I think it trys to mount the iso images off of /mnt and it will screw up IIRC.

Bunny Boy
29th October 2006, 02:23 AM
I'm not following you. What are iso images? I just want to update my apps without having to put the disk in because the drive is flaky. I copied all the RPMs to my hard drive, and I can individually run and install them, but I want to be able to use the Add/Remove Applications route so I get all the right dependencies. The problem is, when I run it, it always asks me to put in the disk, and the installation always crashes.

I was able to install RPMs that crashed when I tried to install them from the CD-ROM by copying them to the hard drive and running them from there. So is there any way I can get it to look elsewhere for the RPMs?

BillT440
29th October 2006, 02:38 AM
Ok, I'm under the assumption that these are the RPMS that come on the FC release discs. If not, I'm afraid I can't offer a valid work around for you. If my assumption holds true, read on.

The iso images are the files commonly used to download then burn to compact disc to install your FC operating system. you can use the iso files in their un-burned state (just regular files downloaded to your HD) when using the add/remove applications applet when launching from the command line with

redhat-config-packages --isodir=/path/to/where/the/iso/files/are.

FYI the iso images for FC1 are here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/.

Bunny Boy
29th October 2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, I'm under the assumption that these are the RPMS that come on the FC release discs. If not, I'm afraid I can't offer a valid work around for you. If my assumption holds true, read on.

The iso images are the files commonly used to download then burn to compact disc to install your FC operating system. you can use the iso files in their un-burned state (just regular files downloaded to your HD) when using the add/remove applications applet when launching from the command line with

redhat-config-packages --isodir=/path/to/where/the/iso/files/are.

FYI the iso images for FC1 are here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/.

I'm not exactly sure I'm following you. I just copied the RPM files from the install CD-ROM to my hard drive and put them all in one directory. So I tried your suggestion. The package manager ran for a few seconds then quit. I'm pasting in my terminal session below, because I can't make any sense of it.
================================================== ===============
[root@localhost root]# redhat-config-packages --isodir=/root/FC-1/RPMS Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/MainWindow.py", line 160, in ?
im = get_method(args)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/config.py", line 57, in get_method
return method.LoopbackIsoInstallMethod(isodir)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/method.py", line 349, in __init__
self.mountDisc(1)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/method.py", line 400, in mountDisc
self.tree + "/" + self.discImages[discNum],
KeyError: 1
[root@localhost root]#
================================================== ==================
any ideas?

b_martinez
29th October 2006, 03:37 AM
Are you really using Fedora Core 1 or ,say, are you asking to use cd#1 from , say , FC5? Just want to be clear on this.
Bill

BillT440
29th October 2006, 03:39 AM
the --isodir= expects iso images to be contained in that directory, not .rpm files. just download the iso files from the link I posted previously.

yarrow-i386-disc1.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 630M
yarrow-i386-disc2.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 637M
yarrow-i386-disc3.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 616M

make a new directory under /root/FC-1 call it whatever you want and place those downloaded files (the three files above) into that directory. re-run the command but change --isodir= to look for the directory that you made that has the iso files.

Bunny Boy
29th October 2006, 02:07 PM
the --isodir= expects iso images to be contained in that directory, not .rpm files. just download the iso files from the link I posted previously.

yarrow-i386-disc1.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 630M
yarrow-i386-disc2.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 637M
yarrow-i386-disc3.iso 04-Nov-2003 11:38 616M

make a new directory under /root/FC-1 call it whatever you want and place those downloaded files (the three files above) into that directory. re-run the command but change --isodir= to look for the directory that you made that has the iso files.

Hey, great idea, I'll "just download" 1.9 GB on my dial-up connection. Forgive me, but that seems pretty pointless since I've already got the RPMs on a CD-ROM. When I run redhat-config-packages normally, it tries to read the RPM files off the disk, so why can't it read them off of the hard drive?

Bunny Boy
29th October 2006, 02:18 PM
Are you really using Fedora Core 1 or ,say, are you asking to use cd#1 from , say , FC5? Just want to be clear on this.
Bill

Yeah, I'm really using FC-1. It's a long story. I got it with a book, so tried it out. It worked OK, but had a few inadequacies, so I bought the FC-5 disks for $10. I installed FC-5, but I couldn't get my modem to work, so I'm back to using FC-1. When I reinstalled FC-1, I forgot to include gcc, and now I want to install gnuchess, but first I have to have the compiler and libraries installed. I'd rather not have to reinstall the OS to do that, so I'm trying to use System Settings >> Add/Remove Applications. That way always asks me to insert the FC-1 disk #2, which has all the RPM files on it. However, it always runs into problems reading them and crashes the app. So I copied the RPM files to my hard drive. When I run packages individually, they install just fine, even though the same packages crash when read off of the CD-ROM.

I don't think the drive is to blame. It's a brand-new, just out of the box Optorite CD burner. If it is the drive's fault, then I'm extraordinarily unlucky when it comes to purchasing CD drives, because this would be the third one in a row that failed right after I installed it. Still a possibility, I suppose, but when I simply copy the fiiles from the CD-ROM to my hard drive, it works fine.

So I tried to get the redhat-config-packages program to read the RPMs off the hard drive, but it doesn't work either. If you've got a better idea of how to go about this, I'm all ears.