PDA

View Full Version : xserver won't start from boot, only from console

ir0nman1
29th October 2006, 01:07 AM
Strange problem and I am a linux noob so I'm stuck...I installed fc6 succesfully though I had to do it in text mode so I could install the nvidia drivers. The nvidia drivers installed succesfully. I can type "startx" to get xserver running just fine, but when i change the runlevel in /etc/inittab to 5 and boot up, the nvidia drivers only seem to load sometimes, but usually not. When they do, the nvidia logo shows up, then the graphical loading screen during boot up. When they don't, the nvidia logo doesn't show up and it goes to the graphical loading screen, but everything is fuzzy. I had to change the runlevel to 3 again and just type startx everytime. It seems like it shoudl work fine if I can use startx, so what is going on here? Any help is appreciated, as I am very new to linux.

tashirosgt
30th October 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm curious about when the nvidia logo shows up. I didn't realize that Linux drivers displayed a logo. The only video card logo that I see on my machines is when they first boot. This logo comes from the video card BIOS, I think.

ir0nman1
1st November 2006, 03:45 AM
yah this is after the bios one, after grub, after "udev" loads, right before the fedora core loading screen with the progress bar that you can click "show details" on. if the nvidia logo flashes, the loading screen works, but if the nvidia logo doesnt show, the loading screen shows up fuzzy and frozen

Vrah
1st November 2006, 08:13 AM
Yes. Have you installed the new beta drivers of nVidia? I have experienced the same technical problem at one point. What happens is this:

When you boot and the "udev" loads, at that point in time, the system loads the "nv" generic nVidia driver that the system has.

Once the system loads libraries and etc.. and you can click on "Show Details", then the nvidia-glx configuration script kicks in and loads the "nvidia" driver and the "glx" module; this is why you see the nVidia logo with the "beta" written in red (if you have the beta) when it starts the X-Server.

Now, if you do not get the Fedora Boot screen where you can click on "Show Details", that is usually because you have a conflicting driver loading; either you are not loading the "glx" module and trying to load "nvidia" driver, or you are loading the "nv" driver without the "dri" module.

I suggest when you have issues with your nvidia video card to consult this website: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

It contains everything you need to know about the nvidia drivers and FC6, including the beta drivers, AIGLX etc..

Kindly,

ir0nman1
15th November 2006, 05:09 AM
i must have conflicting driver problem, but i dont know why, i'll check out the other forums, and see what i come up with

ir0nman1
15th November 2006, 11:32 PM
what can i do to make sure i am not trying to load the nvidia driver and not the glx module, or that i'm loading the nv driver without the dri module?
i've edited my xorg.conf according to http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=121119